• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front 44

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
I was at the junk yard yesterday and found a driver side drop D44 waggy. How much money does it take to get it to fit ynder an xj? It looks like it would have to me narrowed, but I'm not sure. I ask how much money because I have the time to fab up whatever it needs. Also it is one of the Qudratrack models. I allresdy know that I will have to buy new rims and either use the axle from the rear of the waggy or have an adapter made for the rear axle so the bolt pattern will be the same. Or I could just carry two spares :gee:

Thanks,
Neil

If it has to be narrowed it isn't worth your time. If you're going to go through the trouble to cut an axle down get a Dana44 from a Ford F100/150.

Kinda what I thought, but I had to ask anyway. It would be just my luck that the waggy 44 is the golden axle that everyone is looking for, and I passed it up because I thought that it was too much trouble.

Thanks,
Neil

Wagoneer axles that are the right width are not rare BTW, I see them all the time at pick-n-pulls.
Still not worth your time in my opinion though.

Another option is an early Bronco dana 44. They are the correct width for an XJ and driver side diff. I put one under my rig. The downside is they are low pinion like a waggy, and can be more expensive to buy because the Bronco guys like to hang on to them. But if you find one cheap, they are a good option. Only the 76-77's had disc brakes, but you can convert an earlier one to discs using chevy knuckles (good for hi-steer) and brake parts. Use the Ford rotor/hub and you get a 5 on 5.5" lug pattern. If I was to do this again, I would hold out for the F-150 front end. After all the time and money I put into my axle, I would have been better off with the high pinion.

I have a lp dana 44 out of an 82 waggy with 5.13's locked with 36'' tsl strapped to it. I am very happy with it. It gets wheeled very hard. The only thing I have broke on it was the splise of the driver inner shaft and that was kind of a freak deal.

If you find one for less than $250 I would say it is worth that. The money comes with regearing, locking shafts and u-joints which you would do to any axle. RE sells a bracket kit that runs for less than $500 to the door. This is what I did. Then you have to measure and locate the brackets. Or, you can find a shop that has the capabilities to do it on a jig. I paid the shop to do it. The waggy axles are disc breaks and are the same width as the 30/35.

There are maney options out there just what would be best for you. Also do a search on this subject. When I was building mine I did a search and there was a lot of useful info. Good luck.

Back