• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

from italy: my engine switch off suddenly

Hello. Pm me your email addy. I have the Renix fuel injection diagnostic manual on PDF that I can send you to help with your troubleshooting.. Sorry its only in english..

Questions??

Does the motor stop while driving at normal speeds?
Do any other electrical systems seem affected, other than the motor?
Does it happen when you are slowing for a stop or turn?
Does the motor restart? Or must you wait until it cools down?
Do you have weak (yellow) spark to the spark plugs or no spark when the motor stops?

Two items that are heat sensitive are the CPS and the ignition coil. Either one can overheat and stop your motor.
The resistance in the CPS and the *wiring* to the ECU (computer) is important. The current/signal is very small. If it gets too weak, for any reason, it can cause the motor to stop.

But may be a good idea buyng one??? what's??? there are many model at very different price.... and someone know whats can I check with this scanner???

Not really, they are very expensive, you have to have special adapters for different vehicles.

A good digital multimeter will allow you to test all of the sensors on the Renix. To do a sweep or range test of the throttle position sensor requires an analog multimeter.

Questions??

Does the motor stop while driving at normal speeds?
Do any other electrical systems seem affected, other than the motor?
Does it happen when you are slowing for a stop or turn?
Does the motor restart? Or must you wait until it cools down?
Do you have weak (yellow) spark to the spark plugs or no spark when the motor stops?

Two items that are heat sensitive are the CPS and the ignition coil. Either one can overheat and stop your motor.
The resistance in the CPS and the *wiring* to the ECU (computer) is important. The current/signal is very small. If it gets too weak, for any reason, it can cause the motor to stop.
Me too I think about ignition coil, U know that the '90 model have the ignition coil pack, and U think that enogh replace just the coil or also the module??
If the current/signal until cps and ECU are down, I need to change cablage???
Excuse me again for my bad english... I hope that all have understand.

Last edited:
Questions??

1. Does the motor stop while driving at normal speeds?
2. Do any other electrical systems seem affected, other than the motor?
3. Does it happen when you are slowing for a stop or turn?
4. Does the motor restart? Or must you wait until it cools down?
5. Do you have weak (yellow) spark to the spark plugs or no spark when the motor stops?
1. My motor stall at normal speed, at iddle, in acceleration or decelaration, or a costantly r.p.m. without alert
2. no, all work, only the motor stall.
3. also, but none always.
4. at the mornig when I go to work, I can do more or less 15 km before first stall, after that, if engine restart immediatly, run just for 30 - 40 seconds... at this point I leave my xj... after many hours I can do more or less 15 km before next stall, after that, if engine................
5. I don't know, I never try to see......

Try this.

Get a heat gun or powerful hair dryer. Start the motor, then attack the ignition control module/coil and see if you can induce a heat failure.

You have cleaned all the grounds? The dipstick tube, the back-of-head to firewall, the engine block?

Try this.

Get a heat gun or powerful hair dryer. Start the motor, then attack the ignition control module/coil and see if you can induce a heat failure.

You have cleaned all the grounds? The dipstick tube, the back-of-head to firewall, the engine block?
heat gun, good idea!!!! tha ground are ok, but tomorrow re try to check...

U are lucky because live in oregon.....

sent the manual via email.. my only question is does your exhaust exit for some reason too close to the fuel tank? It sounds like you have a heat soak issue which could have a multiple of causes.. also check and make sure the tube between the MAP sensor and the throttle body is not plugged up.. other than that the Remix is pretty simple to troubleshoot.

The fall in oregon how are??? In my area we have a nice temperature this year... isn't usually!!! last year in this period rain and fog....

We have been dry and had numerous weeks this year in the 110+ range. Just this week it has started to cool down, will be mid 70s all week, and had a little rain earlier this week, but not much.

Fall in Oregon is nice, not as pretty as back east with all of the colors, but everything greens up really nice.

I've been in Poland, France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and Spain, that was back in the 70s, spent about 2 1/2 years over there.

We have been dry and had numerous weeks this year in the 110+ range. Just this week it has started to cool down, will be mid 70s all week, and had a little rain earlier this week, but not much.

Fall in Oregon is nice, not as pretty as back east with all of the colors, but everything greens up really nice.

I've been in Poland, France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and Spain, that was back in the 70s, spent about 2 1/2 years over there.
I and my wife have do many travel in the US, we have a special friend in germantown, md that are come in italy many time. My wife and I we have visit in many years: california, utah, nevada, new mexico, colorado, arizona, nebraska, wyoming, mariland and the new england (north east, I rimember the maine's lobster), florida, virginia, west virginia, ohio, pennsylvania....., but now we have many problem aroud our relationship... I don't know when I can back in the US.... I love so much your land, and the people too!!! U are a Marines? I've also do a travel in normandy two years ago, and I would tell thank you again! I've spent two year of my life in italian MP (carabinieri, U know???) in peace period for us....

Last edited:
Yes, served 69-79, then college/work/college/work, now semi-retired for health reasons.

By the way, you don't need to make any apologies for your English. My Polish/French/Spanish are way minimal, just about enough to buy food, beer, and chase girls.

It's incredible, it's a miracle!!!! RUN, and run well!!!! But I don't know why!!!!! In this last week end I've re-clean all connection and the ground too. I've disassembled the engine coil pack (not very goodlooking, some oxide and dirty around), and yesterday and today the xj have do many miles (60 +/-in several time) without stall!!! before are enough 8 - 10 miles for 1st. stall......
It's the end of my problem???
just the road can give me THE ANSWER!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Back