• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford rear disk kit onto XJ- cheaper option

4xBob

NAXJA Forum User
Ford makes a kit to put disk brakes onto truck 8.8 or 9 inch axles- looks just like Explorer brakes, and uses 5x4.5 inch bolt pattern. This is interesting because of the price: $349 on EBay, or $473 in Canada at a web-based Ford site. That includes all-new parts, complete except for the connecting brake hose. It has a functional e-brake too. Can be viewed in the fordracingparts 2007 catalog at http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/catalogs/2007-pp.pdf on page 147. Note that this kit is made to fit on an axle with a 2.5 inch gap from end of axle housing (mounting surface) to face of axle where the disk mounts. I pulled the drum on my 1990 Dana 35 (c-clip late D35 type) and the gap appears to measure 2.5 to 2 5/8 inches using a ruler (rough measure). If the gap is 1/8 too wide, a filler behind the caliper mount would fix that. Possible issues: diameter of the axle flange- does it fit in the Ford rotor, or need turning down? Does the backing plate fit over the end of a D35, or does the hole need opening up a bit with a die grinder or Dremel? Bolt pattern on the end of a D35: same as the backing plate, or need modifying?
Has anybody used this kit? Its much cheaper than the kits made for jeeps, and Ford parts tend to be better price than other options. Wreckers around here will not sell the rear disk brake assemblies off of a ZJ, so I am looking for an affordable alternative.
I will measure the gap on the Chrysler 8.25 rear axle in the 2001, if my daughter ever returns it.

yup. Done that. I bought mine from GEf racing
I installed on a Dana 44 non c clip axle, so my experience might differ:
the 2.5" gap is the same as Jeep
I had the rotor pilot holes opened up slightly. didn't cost much.
the backing plate diameter was OK ( for the D44 - dont know about the 35
the backing plate bolt pattern is different. The Ford pattern is close to the non c clip pattern, and can be modified succesfully with a round file, but you are way off with the c clip pattern. probably better to fill and re drill the backing plate. You can see the patterns here : ford, jeep c clip, jeep non c clip

Last edited:
oh man, i like this.....i sure would like to have COBRA calipers too hehe.

i have been busy researching options for rear discs for my dana 44 (xj) for a while, and i like this so far.

-Tim

Actually, Northridge 4x4 has the Teraflex kit for the XJ for $475. Includes everything needed including flex hoses. The only thing you would need to add is the clips to connect the e-brake cables. Complete bolt-on setup. Also comes with the spacer you mention is needed, but the spacer is not needed on the 8.25, which I have. And oh, yeah, if you run alloy wheels, you need to add longer lug studs, as the rotor is thicker than the drum.

The kit fits 8.25 and D-35. I think I'm gonna go this route, and will be doing it in the next couple of weeks. Just finished up with the front brakes. I tried the local yards, and can't find a deal, so this looks like it's gonna be my best bet.

Good luck with yours.

i like the TSM kit a lot. i liked the terakit from nothridge until i saw project91s thread about it. when a company is unwilling to stand behind their product, it irks me

-Tim

Last edited:
Back