• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford HP44's: what tire size are you running

Right. I'm planning on hopefully RCV shafts. Which for the 44 are warrantied up to 40's.

Any good feedback on these? I wasn't aware they made them for traditional spindle 44s. I remember Bobby Long saying he never made them because the joint ended up too small to work properly.

i'm glad this post came up. i was debating on what size tires i'm going to run when i finish my full width. thinking 37's. i'm easy on the skinny pedal

Ford HP44 (narrowed to waggy width), with ARB and 4.88's w/ stock Waggy shafts, Napa ujoints (some heavy duty 4x4 joint...they looked alright so I went with them) with full circle clips, running new 35x12.5 KM's.

I built the axle over this past winter and have maybe 5 trail runs on it and so far the stock shafts are fine, but I will be going with some chromo's this winter for a little insurance and the possibility of 37's some day.

i run a "weaker" low pinion 44. 5.38's, lockrite moser alloy inners, nitro alloy outers, spicer 760's currently. original gearset for the last 50k miles or so.

yukon shafts suck. i broke a couple moser outers. dont run anything less than a spicer 760 with full clips

never had a problem with 37" boggers or creepys

36" tsl and iroks killed it. in 4 months time i went through 6 outer shafts, one inner, some u joints, a couple hubs and a detroit locker.

13932_506396058344_226300669_156389_323095_n.jpg

35's make it fun and i dont worry about it.

i would call my wheeling style "recklessly graceful"

I know you only wanted high pinion, but i figure if my shafts break before my gearset does, and hp44's are stronger, that this info should be useful to you.

Built front HP44 narrowed to waggy width, was XJ Ranger's old front axle till he decided a 609 was needed. We both run 35's tires and have broken a few things, this year at KOH I took out a aussie locker and hub when my friends and i went to run sledgehammer.

Honestly I wouldnt run anything larger for fear of destroying the axle in the rocks, maybe in the snow I would get away with 37's but my rig is a pig.

-Alex

Running 35's on HP44, Trussed, Ox locker, Dutchman inner and Warn outers, CTM joints Warn premium Hubs,

I haven't had any issues as of yet, looking to move to 37's now and would think the hubs are my weak link.

I would say my driving style is cautious but I really ate up D30 shafts.

Ford HP 44 from an F250, Nitro chromo shafts and joints, ARB, and 5:13's running 37" KM2's. RE long arms with Clayton crossmember.No problems so far.

Little late on this...

Ford HP44, narrowed to rubicon width. 4.88's, ARB, Superior shafts, CTM's, TNT truss and Clayton's LA kit.

Can't say TOO much about the setup, seeing as how it's still a pavement princess. It's been offroad twice, and did really well.

35" Baja claws.

Scott

eh not late, havent started building mine yet, so still lookin at info.

seems like everyone sticks between 35-37 without much problems at all...

Mine is 4.88's with a detroit, superior evo's, ctm's, warn premiums, moog ball joints and reid knuckles. I have yet to wheel it, but the previous owner had 36" SX's. I'm installing a doubler and plan on going to at least 37" MTR's. I'm surprised to see so many people running bigger than a 37" tire with such success...

seen a LOT of 44's up front take a serious beating with 37's and a heavy foot.
with my tendency to be light on the throttle and luck running a stock D30 on 35's, im lookin to run a lil bigger than a 37 on a built 44

just outta curiosity, how much money do you guys have tied up in the 44's?

include the axle itself and the aftermarket for it...thanks

Back