• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for your enjoyment

Driving while stupid!

You have wonder about the sanity of the people standing around in the street.

Dzl DV8 said:
I don't understand why chains and studded snow tires are so unheard of in the east and mid-west.

"If ya ain't gonna use chains, then ya gotta stud them doughnuts!"-Sir John Marjanov
Because nobody East of the Rockies, can figure out how to get the knots out. :) of the chains.
Or which way to turn the lugnuts, to put the studded tires on. :dunno:
Figure when they crash, they can sue the city for failing to maintain the roads.
I got to say though, chains are a pain, you no sooner get them on and drive a few miles and then hit a stretch of plowed road and have to listen to all the clattering. If you eventually get tired of the noise and remove them, you are sure to hit a stretch of road the plow missed in the next mile.
Studs are forbiden here, they tear up the roads too much. Though I do keep a set of cheaters, lightly studded tires.
Why is it, no matter how carefull you are when you pack the chains away, they have knots in them when you want to use them. There has to be a secret I've never learned. I finally gave up and leave the chains on a set of tires and change the tires.
In Norway, they don't even plow in most places, but pack the snow and put down a layer of fine gravel. It ends up in layers, pretty good road surface actually. When it thaws, they sweep it up with a machine, run it through a cleaner and use it again. It is a little hard on the paint jobs though.

As a general rule of thumb;
If you can barely stand up on the street surface, you probably shouldn't attempt to drive on it if at all avoidable...:lecture:

8Mud said:
Because nobody East of the Rockies, can figure out how to get the knots out. :) of the chains.

Fold them into an ammo can. When use is imminent, lay them flat. And carry wire for the flying crosses. I've had the automatic chains, but they don't work so hot in deep snow. Chains suck, but your mobile. Some people don't have the luxury of saying "too slick".

Just to point out, it's a west coast film clip.

Back