• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 issue

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
Today my 242 quit driving the front wheels when in reverse. Yes it was in 4wd mode not awd, the light was even still lit. The last few days it had been making a groan when reversing in 4wd, but I figured it was the tranny. The chain is not slipping, I know what that sounds like. I've never had a 242 apart, what could be the issue here?

Wild guess, but xfer case shift linkage needs adjusted combined with poor motor/trans mounts?

Could be, but unlikely. The mounts are not very old and the 4wd light dosent even flicker. It probably something to do with having 395k miles on it. I haven't been able to shift it into low range for quite a while. I even took the linkage off this summer and tried a cheater bar but no dice. There is a external slip yoke case for sale a couple hours away for 50 bucks, dosent that just require the right length drive shaft? I'd just switch the internals but my tail shaft leaks like a sieve.

With that many miles, worn shift fork tabs or even a worn/damaged shift fork are likely suspects. If you remove the 242, plan on a thorough refresh of the shift fork, seals, and possibly bearings. A 231 of similar vintage, and matching rear driveshaft, would allow daily driving while you look inside the 242.

Could be, but unlikely. The mounts are not very old and the 4wd light dosent even flicker. It probably something to do with having 395k miles on it. I haven't been able to shift it into low range for quite a while. I even took the linkage off this summer and tried a cheater bar but no dice. There is a external slip yoke case for sale a couple hours away for 50 bucks, dosent that just require the right length drive shaft? I'd just switch the internals but my tail shaft leaks like a sieve.

If by "external slip yoke case" you mean "slip yoke eliminator" then it is not just length that will change, but also drive line design. If you run an SYE T-case you need to also run a double-cardan drive line (same design as the front drive line). In some cases you can actually run the same drive line front and rear.

If by "external slip yoke case" you mean "slip yoke eliminator" then it is not just length that will change, but also drive line design. If you run an SYE T-case you need to also run a double-cardan drive line (same design as the front drive line). In some cases you can actually run the same drive line front and rear.

Earlier cases had a long tail shaft housing with an internal slip yoke, later cases had a shorter housing with the slip on the outside covered with a boot, but I think the tail shaft is the same.

Solved. Not the t case. Transmission is slipping in reverese. Sounds and feels like rear tires spinning on ice. Topped off fluid, and adjusted tv cable, problem still persists. The trans has about 250k on it, over half doing postal duty, I suspect it's just done.

I tried rebuilding an auto once; it wasn't for me. I've already got an extra aw4 in the garage, also just bought a parts jeep that probably has a good one too.

I tried rebuilding an auto once; it wasn't for me. I've already got an extra aw4 in the garage, also just bought a parts jeep that probably has a good one too.

Hopefully the right year. I've seen a number of posts lately of people not realizing that the trans had a few changes along the way, the biggest being in 1998.

Hopefully the right year. I've seen a number of posts lately of people not realizing that the trans had a few changes along the way, the biggest being in 1998.

My jeep is a 95, currently using a 01 tranny. My extra is out of a 00, the parts jeep I'm going to pick up Sunday is either 00 or 01. I know there were spline changes on earlier models but the process to use a 00-01 in my 95 isn't a very big deal. I'm actually buying it for the left rear quarter window, which no glass shops in my area can get. But im going to switch the front wrap and keep some of the other usable parts.

Back