• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flares

I just don't like the look of the stupid bushwacker flares. And no one seems to have any rave reviews on them either...

I need to get some body work done soon (rust cleanup), so I'm thinking about getting some of those fiberglass front fenders done at the same time, I just wanted to find out what setup was in that image.

In most cases you need more trimming in the front than in the back correct?

I want my flares to cover my tires fully, the man is pretty sticky on stuff like that here.

dlarrivee said:
In most cases you need more trimming in the front than in the back correct?

I like the BW look & for the longest time I wanted them BUT !! I was able score a clean set of TJ (F&R) flares and mounted them up... I like them... I put A LOT ! of time into trimming them to fit decent and still could of done better... BUT ! if I had the BW in the past two months I'd of broke them at least 3 times.... the TJ flares fended off body damage a few weeks ago thank heavens...
As to the trimming I too think the front needs more trimming.... but both ends can be bumped to limit contact...
I believe there are rear bulged glass panels for the XJ also....

Curt

If there are, I haven't seen them. It's alot easier on pickup to do the whole glass bedside thing... On an XJ you'd have to do alot of body work to make it look nice. Got any pics of the TJ flares?

TJ flares for ya.

XJ008.jpg

100_0161.jpg

Hey those look really good. I'd be willing to go that route too.

The only thing is my XJ is a 2001 so the side marker would be in the way and would need modification.

dlarrivee said:
Hey those look really good. I'd be willing to go that route too.

The only thing is my XJ is a 2001 so the side marker would be in the way and would need modification.

It wouldn't be in the way. Your header panel is just different looking,just covers the marker more, The flare will mount the same way with no problems.

Got more pics if you want to see them.

Jamez.

How well does that work with the back doors?

That looks like a slick setup, seems to cover the tires properly too. Got a buddy with an XJ that looks like a beatle. His tires stick out a good 2-3"

dlarrivee said:
How well does that work with the back doors?

There are 2 ways to do the rears.

1. Attach flare to quarter only.
2. split flare in 2 pieces and attach to quarter and door.

I choose to do the second, wich is pretty much like the Bushwackers. I believe it lets you trim more that way.

XJ004.jpg

XJ003.jpg

100_6593.jpg

These are 33" tires with 4.5" lift. pleanty of room for flex in the rear. Its all a matter of taste, i wouldn't want any other flares.

Xtreme XJ said:
XJ Laredo...... NICE ! job....

See YA !
Curt

Thanks alot. Always appreciate compliments from fellow XJ'ers.

Jamez.

XJLaredo said:
Thanks alot. Always appreciate compliments from fellow XJ'ers.

Jamez.
Yes I like the way that is done. After seeing that I may reconsider using the front flares for mine. I had originally decided on using all rears.

Those TJ flares look really good. I like the detail on the rear doors.

I'd really like to glass all 4 corners though.

Those metal ones don't look very good in my opinion, and they don't seem to cover the whole tire.

4 Rear TJ flares can be used...looks pretty good. I like the way it looks more uniform on the XJ. They can be had for a good price if you can find them used...or you can order them new for about $150 US or so...whatever that works out to be in Canadian money.

Here's a picture of 4 rear TJ flares on an XJ. I'm still considering this as an option...right now, I have no flares and like it....my state doesn't really have tire laws, but I'm only running 31" tires with 4.75" backspacing on the wheels, so mine stick out from the truck about an inch at the most.
588437_208_full.jpg

Is there any other pics of this XJ from different angles. My son got pulled over the other night and we are both flareless right now so I'm thinking of putting some back on. Will they cover 12.5 tires on a 4" bs on 8s ?
Thanks

dcXJ said:
4 Rear TJ flares can be used...looks pretty good. I like the way it looks more uniform on the XJ. They can be had for a good price if you can find them used...or you can order them new for about $150 US or so...whatever that works out to be in Canadian money.

Here's a picture of 4 rear TJ flares on an XJ. I'm still considering this as an option...right now, I have no flares and like it....my state doesn't really have tire laws, but I'm only running 31" tires with 4.75" backspacing on the wheels, so mine stick out from the truck about an inch at the most.
588437_208_full.jpg

Has anyone tried the Rustys rear bedside fiberglass for XJs?

I think I'll probably go fiberglass bulge fronts and try to do TJ rears...

Back