• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flare Reattachment

btfury said:
Thats not a bad idea... I wonder if it would work with the way the flares are designed, though...
How are the flares designed? I haven't taken mine off yet but I assumed they have a flat part that mounts to the body

MiNi Beast said:
With it wedge in betwwen the rails and bungied down I'm not worried how I always carried my spare.
It's whomever is following behind you on the highway that should be worried

nootay said:
i have the front trimmed with no flares, and just took the rear flares off. i would really LIKE to trim the rear, but cutting and folding just doesnt sound like a good idea in my head. I know a lot of people do it, but i just feel like there will be too much paint chipping and possibility of rust down the road. anyone else have to overcome this before trimming the rear?
this writeup was on here awhile back and 53guy let me put it on my site - unfortunately I added the files but never edited it. However, read http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/reartrim.html for some good ideas how to trim and relocate the flare without it looking like ass.

The front trim writeup can be found at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/trim.html

winkosmosis said:
How are the flares designed? I haven't taken mine off yet but I assumed they have a flat part that mounts to the body
Check the above link. There are three aluminum (potmetal?) brackets that bolt to the fender and pinch the flare in place. Loosen those, and remove the flare.

MiNi Beast said:
trim the rear.......
100_1701.jpg
Cut the pinch seam? If not, it looks mighty close... :eek:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

altierior said:
yeah, ummm... i don't think the tape will hold it down either. :laugh3:
They were refering to the tape holding on the flares, not the tire!

TunaSoda said:
They were refering to the tape holding on the flares, not the tire!
and i was being facetious! :rolleyes:

Yucca-Man said:
this writeup was on here awhile back and 53guy let me put it on my site - unfortunately I added the files but never edited it. However, read http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/reartrim.html for some good ideas how to trim and relocate the flare without it looking like ass.

The front trim writeup can be found at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/trim.html
that is the quintessential fender trim article. i followed this guide a few weeks ago to fit my 33s. i would highly recommend that anyone considering cutting the fronts should read this article.

TunaSoda said:
It's whomever is following behind you on the highway that should be worried

Corbinafly launched his spare and rack on a sudden stop. He had it ratchet strapped down too. Whole thing went flying 20-30 feet in front of the jeep.
If you get into a decent collision, that tire will launch.

markw said:
If you get into a decent collision, that tire will launch.
If it's a good enough collision, I would not have any worries about a spare.

razdrvr said:
If it's a good enough collision, I would not have any worries about a spare.

Yeah, but whoever it's launched at would have to worry about it. So not only do you get the car that crossed your path, but you'll get bonus points for the pedestrian the tire takes out.

I've always been a fan of the twofer

MiNi Beast said:
She doesn't go no where at 80 down the highway. :D

You may not realize this, but all of those OEM crash tests that mangle vehicles are done at 45mph. You've got a missle on your roof. Seriously man, at the very least buy a ratchet strap or two.

MiNi Beast said:
Well she stayed up there when I rolled the jeep over on sat.

Were you going 45 mph? I won't argue with you. I you think that bungee cords holding a heavy ass tire is a good idea then stick with it. After all, ratchet straps are a whopping $10. For the record, I'm not advocating ratchet straps either, but it's safer than rubber bungees. Those bungees would be snapped in a month if you lived in AZ. There is a reason why parked RV's have tire covers on them. Sunlight damages rubber.

MiNi Beast said:
Well she stayed up there when I rolled the jeep over on sat.
Were you going 60mph?

fubar XJ said:
Yes, same thought, did the cut and fold anyways and just painted it black along the edge. My XJ is black, so it was a no-brainer. My cut and fold came out pretty good, just a touch wavy in a couple of spots. I've since installed modded TJ rear flares all around, so you don't even see the trims.

Back on topic . . . kinda. Can you post a pic of your rig w/ your Rear TJ flares, and how you did it. I was thinking of doing this when the time comes.

thanks man... I appreciate that. I'm actually going the pipe insulation route as of now... but if that doesn't work out I'll probably use your idea. I'd love to see some pics of the install

Back