• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fires....everyone still OK?

We are fine, in Long Beach.

The trail rig XJ is in Big Bear City, and the fire will need to run around the lake to get there, so it should be safe.

The insurance is paid up :eek:

Ugly stuff

Those pictures were ugly and unsettling. They reminded me of last summer and the Hayman fire. It got no closer than 20 miles from here, but the air was as thick as Charles describes.

Good luck folks, and be smart. Fire is hard to outrun.
Charles and Mil, you got to hang on until I can make it to another event! :)

Fred

Rig Rescue Run !!

Ed
We could slip in under cover of night (and smoke) the back way through Pie. Town or up another unknown cyn. grab anything important, set up a perimiter of sprinklers (leave'm on) & head back down.....
Ain't nothing like a run in adverse conditions.......
I hope things work out.....
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Hey I just thought of something... My Ex stepfather did some GPSing for the BLM about 10 yrs. ago & he never gave the triangle BLM door magnet back.... think my XJ would pass for a BLM unit? Ed ! Lets roll !
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

Utah has sent fire crews w/equip to help out. Only in America, would we tell firefighters they can't fight a fire until the paperwork is done, though. Hopefully, that didn't delay 'em too long. Regulations..go figure.. and I won't start on the regulations preventing dead trees from being thinned..
I agree with other posts, though..anyone setting a fire during the hot winds like that...deserves a permanent lesson.

We finally got power back this morning. Couldn't even use cell phones for a while. Borrego is the evac. center for the Julian and Paradise fires and we are full. Loaned out my motor home to a family...glad I could help at least a little.
Can't get out of town yet....all roads heading west are closed.
Smoke not too bad this morning.....
No school yet.....
This is the strangest feeling to have....not able to do a damn thing to help outside the valley.....
no more fires.....please.....
Rick

If you all have not yet said a prayer for those affected...do it now. Right now!! Do not wait, STOP READING AND DO IT!!

Dennis

Being serious here..for once.

If you all have not yet said a prayer for those affected...do it now.

Trust me, if I thought that would help, I'd do it.

CRASH

Rev Den said:
If you all have not yet said a prayer for those affected...do it now. Right now!! Do not wait, STOP READING AND DO IT!!

Dennis

Rev, you are right on the money. There is a slight chance for rain in the next couple of days, but mostly for the coastal areas. It would be great to pray it inland, and enough to put everything out.

Like Rick stated, it is soooo frustrating having all this all around us here and either not being able to help, or not knowing how to help the so many in need.:confused:

Tim B

edit: schools here are closed til monday, so many of the teachers, admins and students have been affected by the evacuations.

It could'nt hurt.

OK, I'll get Loopy Lupine to do it. I thik she's into that sort of thing.

CRASH

Crash, my dear;

Why the heck do you think you're still alive? It ain't skill, I'll tell you that much. :angel:

Lupine said:
Crash, my dear;

Why the heck do you think you're still alive? It ain't skill, I'll tell you that much. :angel:

Well said, my dear. :)

I firmly believe that the fact that most of us live to be 18 years old is absolute proof that there are guardian angels. In CRASH's case, that's he's still around now. ;)

poway/scrips

finally clearing up here in poway/scrips. watched the fires burn into poway here but i was 2 ridges from my place so i was lucky. yesterday went with a freind who had his place go up in scripps to help him digg thru the rubble. he got his yota wheeler out but lost his car and cycle along with all his wood working stuff as well as most of the house. down the street from him was just cement pads with chimineies sticking up. hurt like heck to see. prayers to all here with realtives and themselves in all the fire areas.

Rev Den said:

Dennis

Thanks for the prayer as the efforts to contain the fires, and rebuild, will take months.

Implementing the active management required to make changes in the long term fire danger (mechanically thinning the unburnt areas) will need prayer to fight the opposition forces that have appealed and litigated all efforts to prevent this tragedy since 1990. The density and dead timber stand problems were identified during the prior SBNF Forest Plan Revision and the groups that have been misinforming the public, claiming the issue is evil big business loggers vs. misguided habitat protection, will need to be corrected (truth in advertising does not appear to apply to radical environmental organizations).

Thanks for the ideas and concern on a backdoor to the mountains. I could legally wear my USFS uniform and volunteer to monitor one of the back road entries, or volunteer to cut dangerous trees that block roads, and take the opportunity to drive up and check things out. In my opinion, checking on the place is not important enough to risk getting in the way, or to risk diverting resources from where they may be needed. Let the resources finish the job and move to the other areas where they are needed.

The folks in San Diego have suffered much more shock, and need prayer, as they were never warned that the connected unmanaged wildland habitat would pose a fire expansion threat to their homes and emergency exit corridoors. The SBNF residents have known about the threats, the CNF and SD folks were blindsided.

Back