• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Filarski's XJ Pre-runner build

What kind of travel numbers ya looking for,16-18 inches?

It looks like 18" is plenty feasible but the plan is to strap it at a reliable 15-16"

Now that we had the travel worked out we got the frame plates tacked up and started bending tubes for the engine cage.
IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3735.jpg

We’ll be designing and building the cross member this weekend which is going to take a fair amount of R&D.
Hopefully have some more updates after the weekend.
IMG_3736.jpg

Thinking about converting my wj to ttb. Really interested in this. I think its an awesome set up. You guys interested in building a wj next. haha.

I love the engine cage start...great design. How difficult is it going to be to pull the engine if needed though?

Not hard at all if he brings the engine forward a tad and pulls the radiator/ac/fan.

I love the engine cage start...great design. How difficult is it going to be to pull the engine if needed though?

the best part of the XJ engine bay design is the removable top radiator core support, pull the front header panel and radiator/core support and with minimal lifting the engine comes right out over the bumper.

look sweet. like the mock up frame idea that was cool

We got a little bit done this weekend.
We’re mocking everything up with 14ga. first before making the final drawings and cuts out of thicker material.

CAD software is a bit Neanderthal, but it gets the job done.
IMG_3753.jpg

Hard to see in the pic but the first 14ga. draft of the main cross member is tucked up there.
We have the suspension cycled 1” higher than it will be bumped to insure plenty of clearance between the beams and cross member in the end.
IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_3760.jpg

IMG_3761.jpg

Even at 1” past full bump everything including the drive shaft seem to have plenty of room.
The X-mamber will get boxed and braced once the drawings are finalized and cut.

We’ll be working on the shock mounts next…
IMG_3765.jpg

Last edited:
Love the build guys.

Had a couple questions before I started this same conversion on my jeep.

Are you planning to keep the stock angles or cutting and turning the beams?

Did you box all sides of the the frame rails or just the outsides?

What size steel do you plan make the actual crossmember out of?

Thanks

Love the build guys.

Had a couple questions before I started this same conversion on my jeep.

Are you planning to keep the stock angles or cutting and turning the beams?

Did you box all sides of the the frame rails or just the outsides?

What size steel do you plan make the actual crossmember out of?

Thanks

We'll cut and turn them when we plate the beams.

we boxed the outside and the top and the left side frame rail was plated inside when we fixed the original damage when Ryan first purchased it.

We'll cut the cross member out of 3/16 and strengthen the important areas with 3/16 on top of that.

if they get just the crossmember laid out on the CAD why not make some bucks as a weld it yourself kit? I'd be willing to drop a hundo or so to keep from having to figure it out for myself. I'm going the same exact direction with my chassis (plus an LS motor) and it would save me months of R&D with my limited garage time.

hell i'd pay 50 bucks for just the file and get it cut myself.

if they get just the crossmember laid out on the CAD why not make some bucks as a weld it yourself kit? I'd be willing to drop a hundo or so to keep from having to figure it out for myself. I'm going the same exact direction with my chassis (plus an LS motor) and it would save me months of R&D with my limited garage time.

hell i'd pay 50 bucks for just the file and get it cut myself.

You cour buy a Bronco and save your self te time ad energy ...... Hahahahahaha. Sorry, I had too.

More pics of this bad ass Cherobronco!!

something tells me with the extent of what it is going to take to hang those beams, even a wiy kit would be much more than a hundo, and the cad files will be worth justg as much:).

I am looking forward to the progress, my buddy and came real close to beams on my old xj but just never got the nuts to start it, it never got past the drinking beer in the garage talking about it stages:).

Back