• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Filarski Bros. Baja 1000 Prep

Congrats on the #1 starting position.

Thanks! Pretty stoked about that. We'll be able to set the pace for the race.

We got a bit more done yesterday.
IMG01486.jpg

IMG01487.jpg

Unfortunately we also took two steps back and decided to re-wire and put a dash in it...
IMG01550.jpg

I buckeled down tonight and did one of the things I've been dreading for years, but knew had to be done. Weld all the unibody seams in the wheel well...
I'm an absolute head to toe mess from wire wheeling all the crap under coat they spray on these things, but atleast its done.

IMG01549.jpg

Ahhhh.......welding the galvanized sheetmetal of an XJ body, one of my favorite things to do. :D

Bet you're glad you're done with that part of the rebuild. Hope you're back is doing well, Eric.

Scott Hartman from the Dust Junkies (who is driving the 2nd leg of the race) made it over to help prep.

We got our springs back from Deaver. They prepped and re-arched them along with a second pair of springs for spairs.

We got the rest of the shackle mount finished and the rear housing hung back under the car.

IMG01593.jpg

Ryan had just finished bolting his side up when he noticed somthing wrong. Classic garage humor, so I had to snap a pic for record...
IMG01594.jpg

Last edited:
Eric the Jeep looks great! I told Jeff to tell you I had a 4 door body I would give to you since I read in the other thread you'd rather have a 4 door, but seeing how much work has been done I know it would be hard to start all over again.

And I really dig the starter/alternator/steering box mount idea. Nothing worse than being hit in the head by one of those.

Chris

Just something to watch for when mounting switches in that panel - we have ours mounted there and Josh with his long arms keeps hitting switches with his elbow when he drives. It isn't a problem with Eric. Turning off the cooling fans is just a nuisance, but when he kills the lights when driving at night it just downright sucks.

Back