• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fatal Jeep rollover last night

The comment about securing things inside is a good point to remember. Getting hit in the head by a tool box is still going to be bad even if you're wearing a seat belt. A few years ago on an XJ trip one of the guys rolled and he got hit in the head with his winch. It was a multi mount and he had it on the front pass side floor.

Santa took a nice pop to the head as well when sleigh1 decided to go end over end, most of his stuff was secured but you never know what is going to come loose when G forces get ahold of em. its just like anything else, when in doubt overkill is better. bolt/clamp everything down, dont trust a ratchet strap or a damn bungie cord to hold ANYTHING.

When I rolled a 32oz drink came out of the cupholder and landed perfectly right side up on the ceiling. Didn't spill a drop. Weird. The heavy stuff in the back was all secured down and only small things came out to hit us.

RE the comment about getting "thrown clear" in a roll. Sure you get thrown clear without a belt, but not before the rig rolls over you when you are halfway out of the cage. There are the stories about people getting lucky when ejected, but I'm guessing its a rarity.

Ok someone did spot the jeep and went to a call box and called it in. My ex mother-in-law works for the fire dept as a dispatcher and she called her daughter (my exwife) and she called me to see if i knew who went up Freeway Ridge that day because of the accident. I started calling around to the local guys and no one knew who went up that day. We are guessing it was the gate keeper where they rolled at. I guess a Ford f250 went up and destroyed that section and it is a lot worse now... so i have been told.

Back