• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan overide.

For a really slick setup, go to the junk yard and pull a stock panel switch from another XJ, the fog light switch is the SPST one you need, and it has a little "on" light in it. Install this in a blank if you have one. Then pull power from the fuse block BATT position which is always hot (hot battery bus). Run the switched wire up to the alt fan relay and tap the #2/orange line. Then of course ground the third pin.

What you have now is auto (temp switch, a/c) and manual on. Now the neat item is that whichever method turns on the alt fan relay will illuminate the little indicator lamp in the switch because you tapped in between the fan diode and the relay and you Did Not install another diode to the switch. And it looks like a factory install.

well, i tried to tap into the temp sensor, but after reading more, the fan runs off the ECU, see....i told ya i'm a fool at wiring!
does anyone have a drawing or somthing of the xj-armor one, i just want to copy that one.

Shogun said:
Another method;

The Fan Control Relay is switched by the temp sensor and/or the A/C. All you need to do is add a third input method of activating the relay. Thus you dont need to cut any existing wires from the ECU. Also, there already exist the required diodes if you choose to input before them.

In english, a standard SPST switch (2 wires) which supplies 12v to pin #2 of the Fan Control Relay will turn on the fan and preserve the other two methods of switching.

Well, his wires are a different color than mine, I have a 96. Also, my relay is numbered different.

fan relay;

11 LG/RD FUSED B(+)
12 LG RADIATOR FAN RELAY OUTPUT
13 DB/WT FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT
15 DB/PK RADIATOR FAN CONTROL RELAY

A) Which one is he referring to as #2, my #11?

B) Where do I tap in? Am I supplying power into the relay, #11, to activate the fan, therefore tap into the LG/RD wire before it enters the the relayconnections?

Thanks,

Wiring novice.

I shall try to attach the schematic, but my scanner is dead at the moment.

In leau, all relays have universal numbering regardless of application. The 85 and 86 pins are the relay activation pins, apply voltage here and the relay operates. The 30 pin is the device power source, the 87 pin is the relay "on" device power out, the 87A is is power off (not used here).

You want to activate the relay with a switch putting 12v to the 85 pin. Thats it, apply 12v to 85 and the relay switchs "on", which in turn connects 30(12v) to 87(fan). The temp switch and the A/C also apply power to 85, thus all three methods will activate the fan.

photobucket.com

and then copy and paste the tag

joecool said:
He used to sell them on eBay, but when I just checked there was nothing. When I looked him up, it says that he is no longer a registered user. So I'm wondering if he is getting out of the business.

While I was filing my third set of "non shipping seller" complaints against him, I got an email from paypal (owned by ebay now) saying that he was being removed from paypal and ebay for a constantly taking money and never shipping product.. I'm sure by now he was thrown off of ebay. Search for xjarmor and xj-armor here and you will find dozens of people complaining about it.

whats the word on this?
Shogun said:
I have the schematics. How to send jpg pics on this forum?

Here are the pics...I didn't downsize them because I wanted to retain the quality and visibility:

AuxFan1.jpg

AuxFan2.jpg

AuxFan3.jpg

wanting to do this on my 96 and the relay is different it is in the power distribution box pass side and it does not work the same
what is different about the earlier modles or am I not finding the right relay?

XJ4PLAY said:
Well, his wires are a different color than mine, I have a 96. Also, my relay is numbered different.

fan relay;

11 LG/RD FUSED B(+)
12 LG RADIATOR FAN RELAY OUTPUT
13 DB/WT FUSED IGNITION SWITCH OUTPUT
15 DB/PK RADIATOR FAN CONTROL RELAY

A) Which one is he referring to as #2, my #11?

B) Where do I tap in? Am I supplying power into the relay, #11, to activate the fan, therefore tap into the LG/RD wire before it enters the the relayconnections?

Thanks,

Wiring novice.
I have a 96 as well and tried supplying power to DB/PK( which is the wire that triggers the relay from the temp sen) in various ways
it only works with the truck off once you turn the key on and the ECU has power forget it something is different about later models

I did simaler to the schematic posted but i used a fog light wireing kit from walmart $12 it comes with the relay and all the wires needed to hook in up. Also the parts are about the same as the specialty kits offered but WAY less in price.

MrMom said:
I have a 96 as well and tried supplying power to DB/PK( which is the wire that triggers the relay from the temp sen) in various ways
it only works with the truck off once you turn the key on and the ECU has power forget it something is different about later models

This info is fom a 96, that is why I have asked so many questions and seem a little slow. The wiring is different and I think the activation is a swell.

According to my FSM, as I understand it, the fan is triggered by the ground side NOT the positive/power side of the system. So, if I got it right, putting power to the relay is not correct. You would need to make a grounded connection.

Again I am not an expert at reading wiring schematics, but the written description as to how this circuit works is what I am going off of.

I will try to post that information so an expert can decifer and advise us 96 people.

Ok got the fan on
here is what I did 12v trigger lead from the fuse block( on the ign side so it only powers up when the key is in the start position) to a toggle switch then to the # 86 terminal on the relay I added for the circuit(this 12v lead opens the relay to let juice go to the fan)
ground wire from the relay # 85 to the body
10 guage hot/load lead fused from the battery to the #30 lead on relay( this is the main power to the fan)
14 guage supply from the # 87 term on relay to the green factory wire to fan located at a male female plug junction near the radiator cap justed crimp spliced into it.
cranked her up and she blows
I beleive this is what you need to do
I abandoned the fan relay in the power distr box I tried that route but kept blowing fuses and turning my ac clutch on it does weird things forget it
It took me all of 30 min

Back