• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fake bead locks can be good.

KarmirXJ said:

Now that I made you eat your words its your turn to proove it
Show us where, in any code book, that it states bead locks are not legal. Then call up Scott at Rockstomper and collect your reward for finding the info. He's issued that standing challenge for 2 years and its still standing.

KarmirXJ said:
http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/<-- there is the online magazine show me where it sais what you just said:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
Yes, ORO is coming out with a beadlock that is exactly as Economos described. As far as I know it's not out yet but should be pretty soon. And before I'm accused of being full of shit I've actually been to the shop multiple times and have a friend that is their marketing director.

Dot - Schmott.......

whatever.......just because something is dot-approved, doesn't necessarily make something safer....

just like the stupid iso-90XX ratings.......

I compete with iso-rated companies that make shit in comparison.......

SeanP said:
My beadlocks have a nice little DOT stamp right on them. Not only that, the US Government bought hundreds of thousands of them. I run 16.5x 8.75 military beadlocks with the magnesium run flats. No worries on bolts loosening.

And I will stand my by assertion that if you show up on Rubicon, Fordyce, Barret Lake (this trail sucks BTW) or any Moab trial with Street Locks, people will roll eyeballs at you. Buy hey, 4 wheel parts needs to make money too.

Sean"web wheeler extraordinaire"P

then I stand corrected... :) I seach these and other forums alot an never came across a DOT Stamped Locker. AS you can see MOST of the beadlocks makers are non DOT.
http://www.rockstomper.com/catalog/wheels/beadlocks.htm
I looked at his site, seems that the beadlocks he sells are kits... (from what I understand) + not anywhere on that site does he say there DOT stamped

So what makes his beadlocks so different from everybody else, obiously you tell me that he had DOT, so what did he do different from all the rest of the makers? They cannot be the same or else it wont be DOT rigjht?

Beezil said:
Dot - Schmott.......

whatever.......just because something is dot-approved, doesn't necessarily make something safer....

just like the stupid iso-90XX ratings.......

I compete with iso-rated companies that make shit in comparison.......

its not so much the wheel being legal or not legal its all about the wheel being safe. I never said beadlocks are bad... I will most definatly like to have a pair.

thats kinda what I was tring to say:D

its the same as iso, qso 9-whatever-the-hell ratings......

I could get those numbers too, but I'm not pulling my pants down to expose my financials and production processes, while paying sums of money so i can wave a iso-9000 flag on my flagpole.....

(typing with one hand, making masterbation gesture with the other)

if I manufactured beadlocks, I wouldn't get them dot-approved either.

Beezil said:
its the same as iso, qso 9-whatever-the-hell ratings......

I could get those numbers too, but I'm not pulling my pants down to expose my financials and production processes, while paying sums of money so i can wave a iso-9000 flag on my flagpole.....

(typing with one hand, making masterbation gesture with the other)

if I manufactured beadlocks, I wouldn't get them dot-approved either.

sounds like more of a liablility to me...

I really dont care if they are legal or not as I stated before. All im trying to point out is that one peice wheels will allways be safer then 2 peice no matter how you put it. I can understand why people run locks on the trail, makes perfect sanse. but please do yourself a favor (not me) and think twice on going long long miles on city road.

thats all I gotta say.
and now Im going to bed... havnt slept much.

Final post please. Just wanted to end with another not "DOT" web site.

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/beadlocks.htm

At the bottom of the page. Says "Blue Torch FabWorks wheels are true bead locks. Therefore they are not D.O.T. approved, and are not street legal".

By the way, they are working on a new XJ front bumper. FYI. Juice

KarmirXJ said:
sounds like more of a liablility to me...

and think twice on going long long miles on city road.

You better stay away from 18 wheelers and high $ exotic sport cars, they both run multi piece rims with bolts and such holding them together. I bet those 18 wheelers but a lot of miles on their tires/rims. And when it comes down to it they are all multi piece rims we are talking about.

You've stated all this "Prove about dot/or not" about other people's statements...

and then state bead locks are unsafe on the street,

so I ask where is all your prove of the accidents happening from bead locks blowing out on the street or even off road?

Not trying to be a ****, but where's the proof for this statement of yours

It's not like we are talking about how safe Ford Explorers are, atleast there is a large amout of evidence to back up how bad they are with all the accidents they are invloved in.

So until you can show how unsafe they are on the street, your statement doesn't float.

I have 30,000 miles, on and off road, on bead locks and no problems. I don't even worry about bolts being loose until they are visable, from across the shop, falling out, before I tighten them. Now I wouldn't concider them anymore unsafe than any other wheel tire combo.

Your point about street locks having a thicker lip and that is better off road for wheel strength, I will agree with. However like Sean said, I wouldn't be caught off road with them.:D

mark
orgs mfg

So, what have we learned from this thread?
Street locks are :rainbow: and real beadlocks are safe and cool. :D

Jes

and...........if theres a bolt or two loose, isn't it nice to know you have 22-34 EXTRA bolts to help??????

the "beadlock legality/safety" threads always brings about goofey logic......

shit, people think nothing of running a rig with 36-38" tires on the highways at highway speed, yet they'll nit-pick at one another on how beadlocks are unsafe........

wierd.

Where dot legal would come into play is when the ring busts in 3 pcs , tire flies off, goes through someones front windshield, they get killed and their estate sues you for every cent you have.

You can bet a lawyer is going to see the pics from the scene and look into the legal issues on that style of rim.

BUT if that happens your going to sued no matter what...the DOT file number is the one thing that "just" might get you off the hook or bring down the total amount of damages they suck out of you.

But then again you can come to Chicago and see people driving on 4 bald , unbalanced, different brand and type tires, bent rims on all 4 sides, motoring down the Ike @95 mphs.....crabbin like a mofo and bouncing up and down. Busted windshield, broken mirrors, and missing tags..........

I would feel safer following a guy in 37" Beadlocks that has pride in his rig!

So what am I saying? I dont know..............................

Fake Beadlocks is like fake beer and cigs w/o nicotene...whats the fawking point!

But hey thats just me
Chewy

ain't nothing going to get you off the hook unless you're driving a completely bone stock vehicle and you have meticulous records. You run 235's instead of 225's that came factory and in the minds of an opposing lawyer you're fawked....

and all those rim companies saying their rims are non DOT legal? That's just CYA. No different than saying rollbars are just for show and are not intended to protect the occupants when that is exactly what they're sold for the majority of the time but the sticker on the bar says it's not meant to so leagally it's not meant to. It's easier to say non DOT legal then to pay lawyers and a ton of other people to do the research and then modify your design (if necessary) so it meets the D.O.T. minimum requirements.

But assuming just because a manufacturer (especially in the sport of offroading where many smaller shops are making products) lists that their stuff doesn't meet the standard doesn't mean that it doesn't. They don't want the liability from it.

oh yeah and pointing to all those websites still doesn't prove that beadlocks do not meet D.O.T. standards.

I don't have beadlocks. I personally haven't had too much problem with chewed up rims. If i could afford them would I get them? maybe. are the $25/rims that i use offroad replaceable? sure. do I care if they're torn up - no. Do some manufacturers use better and thicker steel in their rims which thus holds up better to abuse - yes.

beadlocks weren't meant to protect you're rims. they're to hold the tire tight.

Beezil said:
Fake orgasms are even worse.

I didn't think they where that bad. :dunno:

I'll stick with my cheap steel rims and if I bend one up I'll throw the spare on and buy another $30 rim.

There are much more usefull things to spend money on a Jeep than street locks.

Back