• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricated front bumpers.

Do a search for a thread that Beezil replied to about welders (there were a few :laugh3: )

Searches should get you all the info you need on welders, rather than hijacking this thread. (Which has some pretty nice looking bumpers!)

HTH

TIG is awesome, I can't afford one though.

Regarding the mounts, this what what Custom4x4Fabrication does, and I wouldn't do anything less for a bumper that's going to hold a winch.

Main bumper mount ties into 3 OEM bolts and rear through-frame mount:
bumperbracket2.jpg

Front L-bracket:
bumperbracket1.jpg

Hickey said:
Did you use the stock sleeves in the drivers side? You just plated the outside of the frame, correct?

Ya that's what I did. I may plate both sides at some point but just to stiffen the frame for the steering box. I welded the sleeves in the passenger side.

hackedxj said:
That's some nice well fitting bumpers. Really like the rear, matches up to the jeep lines.
Got real lucky on the rear. At the time I worked for a Car Hauling company and we had a full fabrication shop. Some dingleberry backed a semi into my jeep and caved the bumper in so far it took out the lower quarter panels. My boss asked me what I wanted to do and I just told him to give me the steel and help from the fabricator to build a new bumper and I would cut the lower Q panels off. We worked on that thing for a month. All 1/4 inch stuff with the lower angled plates being 3/8 inch. Its prolly overkill but hey it was free.

i still have to do some work on mine i have 3/4" bars cut that with come through the bumper for shackle mounts. my bumper is also tied in with a custom crossmember made of 6 in c-channel heavy but really stiffened up the front end.
woodiebuildup003.jpg
this pic is from underneath looking at the back of x-member
woodiebuildup001.jpg

woodiebuildup002.jpg

TrailHunter said:
Here's a front tube bumper that I just finished designing. Time to bend some tube now. The winch mount and skid are .250 wall plate. The shackle mounts are recessed so you won't hangup on them. I didn't model them, but the mounts reach at least five bolts on the frame.

Tube-Bumper.jpg

Front View
Tube-Bumper--Front.jpg

Side View
Tube-Bumper---Side.jpg

i really like that bumper.. Ive been trying to figure out my own and honestly thats the best design I've seen yet... what would the frame tie-ins be like

DrMoab,

That front looks WAY closer to the front than most winch bumpers.... how did you keep it so close? I notice your grill is missing... anything to do with the winch being so close?

I like the ARB alot, but yours is the first I have seen that I think I would rather have. I do not have the ARB because I don't feel it is strong enough.

The rear is sweet also.

Simple, strong and effective. Did I mention dirt-cheap too? It's just 3x5 tube with 3/16" wall, 1/4"x4" bent stock for brackets, custom 2x2 hitch, scrap steel for the outer shackle mounts (those are really designed for the rollbar) and a grille gaurd off a CJ (slightly modified since the CJ had a 4" tall bumper). I had a shop bend the brackets for me, then I drilled holes, cut the hitch out with a angle grinder and tacked everything together, then removed it and dragged it to a pro for final welding. I have a matching rear bumper and got both done for under a hundred bucks (3 years ago).

Jeep on!
--Pete

103747005.jpg

103750942.jpg

This is the passenger side and the big bolts are 5/8" and the "little" one is a 1/2", all grade 8. The other side has three 1/2 inchers, two of which go to the steering box. Hell will freeze over before I use the stock bumper mounts for anything. They are just scary!

108235590.jpg

Back