• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricated front bumpers.

thanks for the new desktop :wave:
BrettM said:
that is a very nice bumper cherokeekid!

I like mine for simple, light and strong. It's just a piece of 4x4x1/4 angle, cut and re-welded to angle the side pieces back a little, then cut an angle on them and weld on some tube. It was super easy to make and i've bashed it a lot with nothing more than scratches.

click picture for full size picture:

Here is the front bumper I made for the front of mine.
lbexj14.jpg

Les

Hickey said:
That one is pretty clean. What sizes of metal did you use?
If your asking about mine, it's 2 x 5 x 3/16" rectangular tube with 1/4" flat. It's a little heavy, but is very strong. I copied the design somewhat from the Bulletproof (tm) bumper. I did the rear bumper using the same materials. Thanks ...

Les

BMP_Racing said:
Here's mine. It's constructed of 3/16 and 1/4" plate. It's a little stubby for you hardcore rock guys!

Brad

465047_7_full.jpg

465047_8_full.jpg

I don't have a place to post pics but this bumper is very much like mine. The only difference I see is the placement of the clevis hitches and mine has a receiver for a winch.

Great minds think alike I guess.

Rear Bumper:
RearBumper2-20-05.jpg

Les

lbexj said:
If your asking about mine, it's 2 x 5 x 3/16" rectangular tube with 1/4" flat. It's a little heavy, but is very strong. I copied the design somewhat from the Bulletproof (tm) bumper. I did the rear bumper using the same materials. Thanks ...

Les
I thought that it might be 5" tall. 4" always looks small on an XJ front.

Sorry if this is a hijack-

To Tom H and others, just quick question for you, when fabbing the mounts for your bumper it looks like you just use the stock bracket holes in addition to that one hole that's way back on the frame, the sleeved one. This is strong enough for a winch right? I'd like to pick up the steering box bolts but if the other method is tested and passed it sure would eb easier just using the stock bumper bracket holes and that other one way back there. Thanks for the help,

mike

actually it was bmp_racing but tom h said he had a similar setup, sorry

Man I like that rear bumper Dr. Moab!!! Nice and clean, great clearance...follows lines with tail lights...I like it better than any other I've seen.
Codeman

mylilchero said:
Sorry if this is a hijack-

To Tom H and others, just quick question for you, when fabbing the mounts for your bumper it looks like you just use the stock bracket holes in addition to that one hole that's way back on the frame, the sleeved one. This is strong enough for a winch right? I'd like to pick up the steering box bolts but if the other method is tested and passed it sure would eb easier just using the stock bumper bracket holes and that other one way back there. Thanks for the help,

mike

actually it was bmp_racing but tom h said he had a similar setup, sorry

On the left side I used the 3 stock points plus the 3 steering box bolts. I mirrored the same pattern on the right side and but put sleeves in the frame horn in the "steering box" locations to give the bolt joint some crush strength. Holds up well and is nice and easy to fab because of the two identical brackets.

Dylan90xj said:
On the left side I used the 3 stock points plus the 3 steering box bolts. I mirrored the same pattern on the right side and but put sleeves in the frame horn in the "steering box" locations to give the bolt joint some crush strength. Holds up well and is nice and easy to fab because of the two identical brackets.
Did you use the stock sleeves in the drivers side? You just plated the outside of the frame, correct?

Neato bumpers! What welders are you guys using? I'm looking to get a welder. I've taken General Welding last semester and I got a the basics of welding. I'm looking at
Hobart Handler 180 [http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/handler180.html]
MillerMatic 175 [http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_175/]
OR should I go arc[stick]? I kinda liked stick better cause I could see what the puddle was doing better than the MIG. But MIG is more efficient and easier. I would like to be able to weld 1/4" steel to fab me some bumpers.

Any suggestions???

Back