• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle 97-01 Install

casm said:
Extended Idle Switch - 56008728.

4-Switch Bezel - 4897505AE.

Note that these numbers are for '97 and up only.

I got both of mine from allchryslerparts.com. Ran about $60 or so for both, IIRC. Since you're in the UK, though, you should be able to find a 4-switch bezel in the scrapyard - my memory is that they were standard on XJs with front foglights in the EU.

Yes, you can get just the switch by itself. Of course, if you ever intend to wire front fogs back in again it might be handy to keep the existing one.

HMMMM thanks for the info and the tip, I'll do some checking and post up what I find.

BlueCuda said:
I thought I had a donor for all the power mods. Its a white Classic thats loaded other than leather. I was thinking how nice it was that it had 3 good white doors with power windows and locks. It doesn't look all the bad but somehow its tweeked enough only one of the doors will open, the others are friction shut with no signs of opening. I was able to get the console and wiring from it though. I am not sure I will want to mess with changing 4 window regulators.
I swapped out all of the door guts: regs, locks, wiring and panels. I actually think it's easier to do that than try to find 4 matching color straight doors. You'll need the main cabin wiring harness from the donor Jeep too.

Hello all,
I have been getting a lot of emails asking how I installed the Extended Idle in my XJ. I have not forgotten to reply, I am just taking some time to put a complete writeup together on the install. It will include what I know and also input I have gotten from the great members of NAXJA. It will be like the Overhead Console writeup I did a while back. Will be coming SOON.
Thanks,
Alex

2000XJSPORT said:
Hello all,
I have been getting a lot of emails asking how I installed the Extended Idle in my XJ. I have not forgotten to reply...
You and me both. :peace:
A step by step write up would be great (but isn't all that already what this thread is?). :D

Kick @$$! even though i learned from this that all i have to do is ground pin 12 then bam 1000RPM, pretty cool feature. Now all i have to do is find the switch and wiring harness for CHEAP!!!lol where can I get the best deal on it? i'm a broke college kid

The switch most likely will have to be purchased at a dealership. Think it is $40.00 bucks. At a junk yard you might be able to find an XJ and all you would have to do is get a fog light pigtail. One other thing you could look for a Government XJ or a police one and see if it has the whole set up. I know how it is to be in college. I just saved a little money here and there and finally put it together.

2000XJSPORT said:
Hello all,
I have been getting a lot of emails asking how I installed the Extended Idle in my XJ. I have not forgotten to reply, I am just taking some time to put a complete writeup together on the install. It will include what I know and also input I have gotten from the great members of NAXJA. It will be like the Overhead Console writeup I did a while back. Will be coming SOON.
Thanks,
Alex

That would be awesome because reading through all the posts of how to get it to work correctly is a pain. A nice cleaned up set of directions would be great!!

mikereid350 said:
why do you need a extended idle swich system??

This was answered a couple of times in this thread. If you are running a lot of aux. equipment (lights, winch, etc), hitting the extended idle will put less strain on the battery and alt. It holds the RPMs up a little higher so the alternator puts out some more juice.

I am also going to use it in cold weather to get the jeep warmed up a little faster. I am sick of the -25 to -35 below temps we have had all week!!!

klennop said:
I am also going to use it in cold weather to get the jeep warmed up a little faster. I am sick of the -25 to -35 below temps we have had all week!!!

Not having used mine in seriously cold weather, I can't say this with absolute authority, but I can tell you this: it does a good job of keeping the coolant at normal temperatures when parked and idling for long periods in very hot weather. Not sure it'll work for a fast warm-up in the cold.

casm said:
Not having used mine in seriously cold weather, I can't say this with absolute authority, but I can tell you this: it does a good job of keeping the coolant at normal temperatures when parked and idling for long periods in very hot weather. Not sure it'll work for a fast warm-up in the cold.

Yeah I agree in the manual it says if you are towing a lot etc. that having the engine rev a little more will help cool it down. Hopefully if I do this mod it will help get it up to temp too, it is worth a shot. I am also going to install a block heater this summer to help out for next winter.

With the Extended Idle it does warm up the engine faster. I love it and use it all the time on cold days.

Sorry to bring this back up but I have another question. Could you just have this wired up so it does it all the time? Would there really be a problem or any issues with this besides sucking more gas.

JEEPZZ said:
You will use the same ext idle switch as all pre97 XJ's so your wiring should still be different than the 97+ (at least at the switch).

standard.jpg
Can anyone provide part numbers for this bezel and switch?

So here's an idea - how about for us manual-shift guys?

Is there a way to wire in this thing to kick the idle up a little bit as a sort of electronic-hand-throttle? Maybe a mod to the IAS to get the idle speed up to 1500 or so? Using my diagnostic computer I can dial the idle up to 2000 RPM just by playing with the IAS setting so there's probably some way I can patch a resistor in to make that happen without the diagnostic thing.

That'd be kind of neat.

Blaine B. said:
All the time? You can't have it engauged when you're in gear.

I know that it doesn't stay active when you are in gear. It only works when in neutral or park. What I was wondering is if you could wire it up so the extended idle was activated everytime when you are in park or neutral without using a switch. Would there really be a problem or any issues with this besides sucking more gas. Sorry I wasn't so specific in my original post.

I would think that you could add a variable resistor in series with the TPS (between the matting female and male pin C at the TPS / wiring harness connector) to do it. The only problem is finding the right variable resistor (potentiometer). Might take a mini powerstat to do it well.

It would take some experimentation. Sounds like a Mod-section topic now.

Back