• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Idle 97-01 Install

Yeah, my thought was to desolder the MCU (it looked like an actual microprocessor, not an MCU actually - the firmware is external and in a standard flash chip so there should not be any protection on it)

Understood that it's a 'real' 68K as opposed to an MCU. The reason I mentioned the MCU, however, was because it wasn't uncommon for them to be used as separate protection devices in some applications, notably arcade games. I have some (now-distant) past experience with them in that context, so was just mentioning them as a possible hurdle. Apologies if it sounded like I was confusing CPU and MCU.

and cycle through all the addresses while watching the chipselect pin status on any bus-connected chips. Should give a full map with no difficulty. The chip had the motorola batwings on it, so I think it should be no problem... I just don't know 68k assembly yet.

The cycle-through approach would work, no arguments there. I'd still like to grab a firmware dump in addition to that, though - one reason being that (once the memory map is known) it could conceivably be run in emulation to testbed modifications before pushing them out to an ECU.

FWIW, I used to be decent with 68K assembly - right up to 1995 when I replaced my Atari ST with a PC and pretty much never touched it again. I can generally kind-of sort-of muddle my way through it now, but years of disuse on my behalf probably puts me on about the same footing.

The real difficulty is that most of the I/O chips appeared to have custom chrysler part numbers on them, which makes it a real bear to look up datasheets.

Hm, bugger. I may be being paranoid (my experience with ECUs is extremely limited, so the parallels I'm drawing with stuff I already know may not be applicable here), but this is setting off my 'here be protection' radar.

By any chance have you got photos of those ICs? I'd be almost willing to bet that they're off-the-shelf items from a third party, possibly modified to order, and re-silkscreened with Chrysler identifying marks.

Nope, unfortunately I don't :(

I am nearly 2000 miles from my pile of XJ electronics hacking supplies.

They did appear to be standard ICs though, most of them had ST/Linear/Phillips/NXP logos but Chrysler part numbers. Chrysler really pisses me off that way, they get standard chips but order so many that they can wrap the manufacturer around their little finger and get them to print custom part numbers on them and never release datasheets for them, ever, for any reason. It's a severe pain in the ass when reverse engineering their stuff.

Nope, unfortunately I don't :(

I am nearly 2000 miles from my pile of XJ electronics hacking supplies.

Hm, OK. I'll make some enquiries and see if I can't figure out a way to get an ECU to someone with the appropriate equipment. I know I don't have it ;)

They did appear to be standard ICs though, most of them had ST/Linear/Phillips/NXP logos but Chrysler part numbers.

Makes perfect sense. More:

Chrysler really pisses me off that way, they get standard chips but order so many that they can wrap the manufacturer around their little finger and get them to print custom part numbers on them and never release datasheets for them, ever, for any reason. It's a severe pain in the ass when reverse engineering their stuff.

One of my favourites in that department were the 50,000,000 Z80 clones made by the Soviets and Chinese. You'd think that they'd just copy them on a one-to-one basis, but, no, they'd do stupid things like modify, remove, or add instructions for no apparent reason - then patch Western software to run on their hacked-up hardware.

Seems to me that rather than reverse-engineer the entire ECU (which I agree is an interesting project in itself), it would be easier to design our own idle speed controller. The IAC motor is a 2-phase stepper - simple enough. Just unplug the IAC motor from the ECU, and plug it into a new idle speed controller. The new idle speed controller would need to know engine RPM (or calculate it from ignition pulses, or CPS pulses, or tach pulses, or whatever), and output the appropriate steps to the IAC motor to maintain desired revs setpoint. This revs setpoint could be selected with another input (from a switch), or even fully adjustable (with a pot or encoder).
I think it could be implemented on something as small as a 12F629 or 12F675, with a dual h-bridge driver chip, without too much difficulty.
Not sure if the ECU would get PO'd and throw codes about not being able to control the idle speed. I know it doesn't care too much - I disconnected my IAC motor to test a spare I had, it didn't throw any codes.
I've thought about doing this (even without a fast idle option) in order to give the IAC motor some more authority - so I can let the clutch out without having to step on the gas.

You could probably do that... I'm personally in the "anti-PIC bigot" group, I hate only having 35 instructions, but it's a theoretically simple design so you could probably put it in one of those MCUs. On 96 and earlier rigs the tach signal is (as far as I know) a pulse train going to the gauge cluster, that should be pretty easy to deal with. On 97 and later you would need to read the current RPM value off the CCD bus (see http://www.kolumbus.fi/juha.niinikoski/CCD_bus/ccd_display.htm) and use that to make your decisions. You also would probably have to do something about keeping the ECU from complaining on 96, 97, or 98 and later XJs, I'm not sure if or when IAC short/open/functionality tests were added but I'd put money on it being one of those years.

because they're not as cool, and easier to bump.

I sold the 5 speed, and am doing this with a '99 conversion on my '87 mj.

Wow, this thread got way hi-tech over the past couple of weeks. I'm totally lost, good luck guys!

I spent the better part of the day searching this one to death, even on other forums. FINALLY I found this thread with pics! So, thanks to the OP on this!!

NOW, however, on page 16 of this thread, it is FINALLY determined that this can NOT go on a 5-speed. I, have a 5 speed.... :banghead:

I am going to find a way to make this happen, cause I want this dearly. Hell, maybe I can come up with something that can get it up closer to 1,500revs. That would be more helpful!

Before I burn my brain on this anymore, is there ANYONE who has successfully installed this to a 5-speed, 97+, 4.0???

I reguards to the 5-speed extended Idle I still want to know myself.

98 XJ

ps. already have hacked the gray pin 12 and is out in the open ready for the next step.

Ok I read ALL 17 pages of this thread.... GREAT thread.... But if you have the typical three switch panel ( Defroster, rear wiper and a blank)... can the blank be taken out easy? I want to order an oem type switch from ebay and need to know if I have to dremel out the switch blank, or as the ad for the product says " pops out with a butter knife".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4451wt_1165

Ok I read ALL 17 pages of this thread.... GREAT thread.... But if you have the typical three switch panel ( Defroster, rear wiper and a blank)... can the blank be taken out easy? I want to order an oem type switch from ebay and need to know if I have to dremel out the switch blank, or as the ad for the product says " pops out with a butter knife".

It takes a bit of fiddling, but it the blank should pretty much pop right out.

Are they including that switch bezel with the switches? It looks like one from a TJ.

Last edited:
It takes a bit of fiddling, but it the blank should pretty much pop right out.

No, I'm pretty sure that the bezels with the blanks are different than the 3 hole bezels. I had the same idea when I went to put a switch in there, but then realized that the blank is actually molded into the bezel itself, it isn't just an insert. If you look in the back, there isn't any large tabs either to retain a switch like a 3 hole bezel.

Yes, you can, I did that actually. But, as I said the large tabs aren't there to retain a factory switch. I ended up mounting an aftermarket switch there, before I got a factory extended idle switch with 3 switch bezel.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...item=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_4451wt_1165

Cool find on those switches, I've never seen OEM style aftermarket switches before. Kind of sucks that they made it a 3 wire switch and left out the back light (dimmer circuit), but still pretty cool nonetheless.

I was thinking of adding this to my XJ to help it warm up faster in the winter mornings.

Speaking from my experience with trying to do exactly that, you'd be better off installing a block heater. This is more useful for improving cooling or keeping the alternator output up while idling for long periods of time.

If you are using a fog lamp pigtail then the wiring goes like this. Colors are:

Black: Fuse panel lights dimmer switch signal
Purple:Fused ignition switch output
Light blue: Pin 12 on the PCM connector
Orange: Ground

This is just on the pigtail because a fog lamp pigtail colors are changed around and black and orange are reversed. Other wise it still is

Black: Ground
Grey: Pin 12 on the PCM connector
Dark Blue / White: Fused iginition switch output
Orange: Fuse panel lights dimmer switch signal

For the Dark Blue / White: Fused iginition switch output. I connected it to the AC controller right above the pannel. it is the same color and number in the wiring diagram. Just splice into it and it works great in getting the switch to light up.
Hope this helps. If not just send me a message.
Alex

I just picked up the 3 switch idle bezel at the junkyard.
My question is about the fused ign wires. I have the 3 switch with factory fog bezel in my jeep so the fog pigtail is already ther. the new bezel with the ext idle and pigtail I pulled at the jy. Can't I just wire the two fused ign wires together..
Dark blue/white - purple
Instead of fooling with the ac controls.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Here it is, the answers you've been looking for!

Here it is, the answers you've been looking for!

I just finished installing an Extended Idle Switch in my '99 Cherokee Classic 4.0 A/T. It functions properly, the backlit icon dims with the rest of the dash, and the indicator light comes on when the switch is activated. After reading through this thread a number of times, I feel there's still a lot of confusion out there as to how to wire this properly. I know I was still confused until I read a few different threads about this mod. Let's see if I can pull all the information together and clear it up for future reference.

1. All the necessary parts (minus the wiring pigtail) can be purchased from your dealer or any of the online Mopar parts sellers. I looked at just about every site and the one that consistently came up the cheapest was Mopar Discount Parts dot Com. They also had great customer service and the cheapest shipping rates I could find. Jeromy is a one man show, is very helpful on the phone, ships quickly, and kept me up to date on my order status every step of the way. Just to give you an idea of the expenses you may incur if you choose to do this mod, I have listed the prices from the above mentioned supplier at the time I made my purchase.

Extended Idle Switch - Part# 56008728 ($27.50)

4 Switch Bezel - Part# 4897505AF ($48.58)
Finally found out this part is so damn expensive because it comes with both the cigar lighter and power outlets!
(Also, be aware that these 4 switch bezels have been discontinued and are therefore in limited supply)

and if your Fog Light Switch has burned out like everyone else's (and you still want to use your OEM switch)...

Fog Light Switch - Part# - 5080861AA ($27.70)
If you want it to last this time, wire it correctly with a relay after the switch.
Mopar Fog Light Wiring Repair Kit (Part# - 5066442AA $111.22) is available if you've got the funds and you're not comfortable with making the upgrades yourself.

The other part you will need is a pigtail for your new switch. You can use either a fog light pigtail, or a window defroster pigtail. I removed both from an XJ that was getting parted out. Both are shown in the following picture. You will notice that the orange and black leads are opposite each other. It really doesn't matter which one you use as the pinouts are numbered on the body of the connector for reference. Grey plug is the Defrost pigtail, black plug is the Fog Light pigtail.

2. The Idle Actuator wire that gets connected to Pin A12 on the PCM has been pretty well covered. I did however follow the wiring schematic in hopes of tracking down the closest possible spot to tap into the existing (Solid Grey) wire. Turns out that it doesn't get much better than right next to the PCM. Unless you have the Police Package (in which case you probably don't need to do this mod) the Solid Grey wire runs from Pin A12 on the PCM to Pin 11 on Connector C107 which you will find right next to the transmission dipstick. That's it, it stops there. This connector is actually further away from the driver's side firewall hole than the PCM is. I guess you could split the loom, find the Solid Grey wire, and splice into it right next to the firewall hole if you really wanted to.

This brings me to my next point. As this Solid Grey wire is not connected to anything other than A12 on the PCM, it doesn't matter whether you choose to cut or splice the Solid Grey wire to make your connection. Electrically speaking, it's the same either way.

3. Extended Idle Switch wiring is as follows (per the FSM):
Pin #1 - Ground (Black on the OEM Ext Idle pigtail)
Pin #2 - Idle Actuator (Grey on the OEM Ext Idle pigtail)
Pin #3 - Fused Ignition Switch Output (RUN) (Dark Blue w/ White stripe on the OEM Ext Idle Pigtail)
Pin #4 - Fused Panel Lamps Dimmer Switch Signal (Orange on the OEM Ext Idle Pigtail)

Unless you managed to score a pigtail from a Police Package XJ, your pigtail will not match up. I chose to use the Defrost pigtail since the #1 & #4 (Black & Orange) leads are the same as the original pigtail. Here's the easiest way to wire it all up:

Connect Ext Idle Switch Pin #1 to Fog Lamp Switch Pin #4 (Black)
Connect Ext Idle Switch Pin #2 to your wire leading to A12 on the PCM
Connect Ext Idle Switch Pin #3 to A/C Heater Control Pin #2 (Dark Blue / White stripe)
Connect Ext Idle Switch Pin #4 to Fog Lamp Switch Pin #1 (Orange)

So why do you tie into A/C Heater Control Pin #2 instead of the hot lead on the Fog Lamp Switch? Because if you use the Fog Lamp Switch as your power source, your Ext Idle indicator light will only come on when your Fog Lights are allowed to come on (i.e. headlights on, high beams off). If you use the Fog Light Switch lead, your Ext Idle indicator light won't come on when your headlights are off and it will turn off anytime you turn on your high beams. Best reasons of all though... the A/C Heater Control wire is close enough that you don't need to extend your Ext Idle pigtail and it is the power source used when Ext Idle is a factory option as shown in the diagram below.

You're probably saying, great, now I've got to figure out where the heck A/C Heater Control Pin #2 is too... It actually couldn't be easier. Directly above your new Ext Idle switch is the A/C Heater control knob (Hot/Cold). On the back of the knob you will find a plug with three wires. Follow the wires down and you will see they run right past the back of the Ext Idle Switch. The middle one is the Dark Blue with White stripe that you are looking for. Splice into it and connect it to Ext Idle Switch Pin #3. Easy as pie.

4. To get all the parts to fit together, you're going to have to do a little modifying.

Unless you managed to score the OEM Ext Idle pigtail, you're going to have to cut the little key tab off the plug in order for it to fit into the Ext Idle Switch. This is easily done with a razor blade as the plastic is quite soft.

For some reason, the Ext Idle Switch itself comes keyed the same as the Fog Light Switch. This being the case, both switches will only fit in hole #3 on the switch bezel. Not a problem if you eliminated your fog lights and are using the 3 switch bezel, but if you're using the 4 hole switch bezel, you will need to shave the key tab off the switch. This can again be done with a razor blade but is a bit more difficult as the switch housing plastic is much harder.

Well, I hope this clears up all the misconceptions and muddy information about performing this mod. Enjoy and happy extended idling... :greensmok

Ahh yes! this was very helpful. thanks

Back