• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exo Cage design

davidt said:
this one has held up well, one of my buddies (Jake Hallenbeck) did it. My favorite and most functional I have seen
attachment.php

anymore pictures of this rig? Mine is a 2 door as well and would like to look at more cage pics for mine, thanks

I love it when someone with some basic experience comes looking for good technical input and they get a bunch of know it all advice from people who know considerably less than the person who asked the question. :rolleyes:

I think the actual design of a cage has a lot of room for personal goals and preferences while still being a good cage. It's good to talk about the basics stuff, and the goals, rather than specifics of what is the "best" cage. There have been quite a few very good cages built by those who frequent these forums, and they can be very different from each other in design.

A couple of things are sure. It doesn't take much of a cage to add a good amount of rigidity to the body. It also doesn't take very much of a cage to add a considerable amount of protection to the occupants of the vehicle. So, anything beyond basic should have good consideration of personal goals. I've seen cages with so much tubing inside that rather than being safer (the intended goal) the cage was a danger to the occupants due to increased likelyhood of head injury. If one of the goals is to protect the vehicle, as well as protect the occupants, then some sort of an exo design becomes mandatory. To me, it would be ironic, and definitely counter productive, to have a nicely done internal cage and still have the rig totalled due to excesive body damage from a hard roll.

Oh, and I think everyone who posts answers on threads like this about cages should post pics of their own cage. :D :D

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Goatman said:
I love it when someone with some basic experience comes looking for good technical input and they get a bunch of know it all advice from people who know considerably less than the person who asked the question. :rolleyes:

I think the actual design of a cage has a lot of room for personal goals and preferences while still being a good cage. It's good to talk about the basics stuff, and the goals, rather than specifics of what is the "best" cage. There have been quite a few very good cages built by those who frequent these forums, and they can be very different from each other in design.

A couple of things are sure. It doesn't take much of a cage to add a good amount of rigidity to the body. It also doesn't take very much of a cage to add a considerable amount of protection to the occupants of the vehicle. So, anything beyond basic should have good consideration of personal goals. I've seen cages with so much tubing inside that rather than being safer (the intended goal) the cage was a danger to the occupants due to increased likelyhood of head injury. If one of the goals is to protect the vehicle, as well as protect the occupants, then some sort of an exo design becomes mandatory. To me, it would be ironic, and definitely counter productive, to have a nicely done internal cage and still have the rig totalled due to excesive body damage from a hard roll.

Oh, and I think everyone who posts answers on threads like this about cages should post pics of their own cage. :D :D

standard.jpg

standard.jpg
I like the red one behind yours :laugh3:

Back