• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

I'm way overdue for an update. I'll type one out later but this should help in the meantime.
20151009_155617.png_zpslrjqzozq.jpeg

Clean looking jeep. What spare tire carrier is that?

Spartan locker is here. Props to Quick Performance Inc on the quick shipment and throwing in a free T-Shirt and koozie.

Metalcloak suspension also arrived tonight and man, it is a work of art.

Still waiting on the AA SYE to get here along with some components from IRO. Also need to find a front DS and some time off to do the install.

Incredibly excited!

Please post up your impression of the Spartan locker, install, work, etc...

Lockers are a big need on my '01 XJ but I've been holding off on doing them myself as I'm not sure what way to go or if I can do it myself. My rig is a DD and very light offroad duty. More so I want something with good street manners and the ability to get me out of most snow or light trail duty work. :)

Please post up your impression of the Spartan locker, install, work, etc...

Lockers are a big need on my '01 XJ but I've been holding off on doing them myself as I'm not sure what way to go or if I can do it myself. My rig is a DD and very light offroad duty. More so I want something with good street manners and the ability to get me out of most snow or light trail duty work. :)

I have run the Spartan in my TJ on 35s for the past 3 years and I love it. Use heavy diff fluid and the noise/clicking is virtually nonexistent. The only time I notice it in 2wd is when doing a tight u-turn or pulling into a tight parking spot. Offroad it turned my TJ into a mule. Install is easier than other lunchbox lockers too.

I have run the Spartan in my TJ on 35s for the past 3 years and I love it. Use heavy diff fluid and the noise/clicking is virtually nonexistent. The only time I notice it in 2wd is when doing a tight u-turn or pulling into a tight parking spot. Offroad it turned my TJ into a mule. Install is easier than other lunchbox lockers too.

Thanks for the input. Lunchbox lockers don't worry me on the installation but if I have to reset the gears that gives me some concern. :)

Last night was devoted to prepping the HP30 for install. Got the tubes all cleaned out, inner axle seals replaced, and outer Ten Factory seals installed. Oh, and this:
IMG_20151215_231239_zpspdbn65cx.jpg

The axle is ready to go in. Just waiting on some parts from IRO to do the lift at the same time. Lots of pics to come.

Just the front. I would not personally want a lunchbox in the rear of a Jeep that gets daily driven on the street. Offroad only would be a whole different story, though.

Therein lies the rub for me. I've heard people having no issues running a Spartan lunch box in the rear of a DD Street driven rig for years w/zero issues... then I hear people warn not too. I'd love selectable lockers front and rear but can't afford that. I'd also like to have my XJ locked front and rear for Winter months. I'm barely offroad in my rig other than light trails or yards... so traction isn't always an issue for me. It would however be nice to have all 4 wheels pulling me thru snow during the winter months versus 1 front and 1 rear tire. :)

Therein lies the rub for me. I've heard people having no issues running a Spartan lunch box in the rear of a DD Street driven rig for years w/zero issues... then I hear people warn not too. I'd love selectable lockers front and rear but can't afford that. I'd also like to have my XJ locked front and rear for Winter months. I'm barely offroad in my rig other than light trails or yards... so traction isn't always an issue for me. It would however be nice to have all 4 wheels pulling me thru snow during the winter months versus 1 front and 1 rear tire. :)

It sounds like a LSD might suit you better. I'd keep an eye out for LSD stock axles on craigslist. That'd be the cheapest and easiest way to get them installed.

I've been doing it for almost 10 yrs in my 2 cherokees....no issue whatsoever other than the occasional clicking when turning sharp, and the occasional tire chirp.

No quirky driving habits....if the tires spin, both spin, not just one.

Now, I will say this......on snow or ice, and when in 4 wheel drive, if I punch it from a dead stop, the jeep kinda slides sideways as it move forwards (sideways, not fishtail), but that is the tread pattern on the tires....not the locker.

Painting the Detours Unibody Rock Slyders today with hopes of installing them tomorrow.

I can't say enough good things about Mark and his operation. Really excited to get these on.

Just the front. I would not personally want a lunchbox in the rear of a Jeep that gets daily driven on the street. Offroad only would be a whole different story, though.
it definitely adds some... character... to driving. but it is by no means unbearable. the addition of the second locker was not as noticeable as the addition of the first in terms of offroad performance. i started with a front lunchbox and later added the rear. my only grip with lunchbox lockers is the increased backlash (just a product of their design). with a manual trans there is quite a bit of driveline shock. i destroyed my spartan within a year, while my front aussie lived a happy life for 4 years. but i dont mean to harp on the spartan, i think it lived a much rougher life in the rear application. i was also on much larger tires. their customer service was very easy to deal with.

It sounds like a LSD might suit you better. I'd keep an eye out for LSD stock axles on craigslist. That'd be the cheapest and easiest way to get them installed.
8.8 with LSD and disks is also another option.

Last edited:
I've been looking at the detours knucklebone and tailbone but I'm not sure which one I like better. How do you like the knucklebone? Did you get the back drop or the side drop?

I've been looking at the detours knucklebone and tailbone but I'm not sure which one I like better. How do you like the knucklebone? Did you get the back drop or the side drop?

I like it. The problem I had with the tailbone was that Mark quoted a lead time of something like 6 months. Mine drops to the side. I've got the alternative side mount and that's the only direction they drop if you use the mount. Beefy, simple product that is designed and made very well.

Back