• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EugeneTheTJ's 2000 XJ Build Thread

I tried bending my exhaust and trimming the clamp but it still hits. I've considered welding my exhaust to the hanger since its bolt on, just haven't done it yet.

Took it to the local muffler shop. He cut the exhaust right at the front of the skid just past where it bends towards the back then rewelded a straight pipe on there with a turndown just before the shackle. Got it well off of the skid and now no more worries about shackle interference. $20 well spent.

Can you post a picture? The way I read that your exhaust exits before the wheel?

The last bend away from the muffler (rear of axle) not the first bend from the muffler (before tire and axle).

Here's some pics...

20150705_194705_zpss0g6vr2v.jpg

20150705_194726_zps5h8fz7fr.jpg

I can't wait to see what you come up with to hold your tablet!

3 months later and I finally settle on what case I want. Haha.

Pretty simple setup but I have a 1" ball system with about a 4" double socket arm that I picked up from Cabelas. I just placed an order for the Ram Mount Tab-Tite case so hopefully I will have that within a week or so. Plan is to mount it probably top dead center on the dash with the tablet extending in towards the driver seat a hair. I figured being partially in front of the air vent would help keep it cool after running for hours on end.

I was debating on getting a locking case and the locking socket knob but I figured that I will remove it at stops anyways so the added expense didn't have much benefit. After all, a potential thief would still bust my window out to try to get it. I'd rather just unhook it from the mount at stops and hide it or carry it with me.

Can't wait to get it in there! I've been using it in a suction cup windshield mount but this will be so much better!

Finally made it to the stealership. The one I actually like didn't have the Oil Filter Adapter o-rings in stock but sent me to another local one. They had it but acted like they didn't know what I was talking about and/or didn't want to help me. I guess keeping a 15 year old vehicle on the road isn't as profitable to them as me buying an independent suspension Italian piece of crap.

I hate dealing with dealerships!

Nonetheless, I now am in possession of 3 nice o-rings. Going to try the install today or tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Ordered a winch for the heep this morning. Went with a Warn M8000 again. The one on my TJ has been faithful for 7 years and counting so I figured don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Plus, Warn has a mail-in rebate for a free $200 accessory kit right now so I couldn't pass up that deal.

Been busy this week. First, this:
20151015_072556_zpsjzzvyfub.jpg

Beautiful
20151014_202852_zpsfgrdskbr.jpg

Before and after (low beam). I need to adjust the aiming but I am incredibly happy with these. I can actually see at night!
PhotoGrid_1444869458368_zpsh7tcywks.jpg

Finally, I have been wanting to add some safety for rear seat passengers. I picked up the seatback from a 98 ZJ to source some headrests for my XJ.

Before:
20151016_095724_zps8wagmeto.jpg

This is the headrest bracket from inside the ZJ seat. I cut this off at the bottom and cut the tube straight through about 2 inches from the bracket on each side
20151015_164619_zpshfietpml.jpg

This is inside of the XJ foam. Interesting that it already had a recessed area for headrests. From what I read, they came standard on European and Australian models.
20151016_101720_zpsaymbllx2.jpg

Then I welded the tube/bracket to the XJ seatback. Once done, reinstall foam and cutout small areas for the headrest tube to pass through. Finally, reinstall cover and cut slits for the top of the headrest tubes to pass through. Here it is finished:
20151016_135154_zps9wlgllaw.jpg

20151016_135120_zpshv12xjkb.jpg

Color isn't 100% matching but it doesn't look bad at all. In the future I am planning on swapping the front seats for WJ seats. I may have everything reupholstered once I do that to match but I can definitely live with these!

After months of building I am finally done with my drawer system. Still need to add tie-down points and a cooler slide but the main structure is finally complete. Total investment (not including too much labor) is about $200. That's a hell of a lot better than a generic pre-fab unit for $1,200-$1,500.

IMG_20151022_203445_zpsmw0amqzk.jpg

XJ is getting some shimmy at about 45 mph so it's time to start freshening up the front end.

Just placed an order on new ZJ steering components. Should be in tomorrow.

I'm gonna need a new TB too but I'm not putting money into a replacement stock unit.

I've been really unhappy with my suspension setup - specifically the rear (extended shackles, relocation brackets, and replacement leaves [which are already sagged after less than a year]). I have spent an extensive amount of time figuring out what I want and what the Jeep really needs. All signs pointed in one direction and after some discussion I have placed a rather large order.

Metalcloak 3.5" is on its way!

Recently decided this Jeep needs to be locked as well. I've been more than pleased with the Spartan in the TJ so that is what I went with again.

Also picking up a HP30 tomorrow night. I figured if I am installing a whole new suspension and a locker I might as well pony up and get the better axle while I am at it. Plus I don't want to have to install the same locker twice whenever I inevitably went HP anyways.

Back