• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Edelbrock aluminum head in the works

And another thing. I believe they got that result from an OBD-1 91-95' 4.0 HO cherokee. Those have the single pattern cam and tend to be more responsive to modifications based on what I've read. What gains will be on an 96-99' 4.0 HO with the OBD-2 system and factory dual pattern cam?

I was originally thinking of replacing my 0331 head with this head, but after reading about the high spring rates (400 lb/in) I guess I'll pass. I have no appetite to flatten my cam or replace it with something more robust...was just looking to drop the head in. Am I interpreting something incorrectly?

I asked my cam builder about those spring rates and he said they would be fine. I realize that is no guarentee just passing along info from a cam expert. The cam he built me is the wide lobe design. Oh and Edelbrock is now saying first part of April for first shipment of head.

there's a theory in the 4.0 world that the high spring pressures will help keep the cam from hitting harmonics at high rpm's and make it last longer.

i used to believe in that myself, until I met Russ Pottenger.. he showed me that is not the way. :)

Definitely room for a quality, stand-up outfit to start selling roller cam setups for the 4.0

My brother still hasn't gotten his 4.9l w/ 505's "most aggressive" roller cam installed in the Eliminator yet. Hopefully this summer. . .

Definitely room for a quality, stand-up outfit to start selling roller cam setups for the 4.0

Maybe if this head sells well Edelbrock could work on a roller cam.

I read somewhere that the ChryCo LA V8 lifters drop right in but the block needs to be ground for the tie bar clearance. Perhaps the tie bar could be modified instead? Shrug - I'm out of the 4.0 market, really, just enjoy armchair hot rodding. Maybe someday I'll build another xj.

LA lifters aren't rollers. There may be a retrofit set for the LA though. Magnum lifters are rollers and they may be the same size or close. IIRC they are the same size, but there are also slightly varying sized lifters for the 4.0L.

The first problem is getting a billet cam made with the dis gear in the middle. Last time I checked it was $1k for just the blank for a one off.

Magnum lifters are rollers and they may be the same size or close. IIRC they are the same size, but there are also slightly varying sized lifters for the 4.0L.

Yep, it's the Magnum I was thinking of - a modernized LA 318 / 360 is all they are. Is it incorrect to call them LA motors?

There are some pretty significant differences between the LA and Magnum. Intake manifold, heads, valve cover bolt pattern, etc. And in this particular case the roller lifters.

I'm not sure what else there is as I am not as familiar with the 5.2/5.9 as I am with the 4.0L. I'm also not exactly a huge fan of them.

There is a few of the late LA motors that had roller cams. Late eighties TBI motors I think, it's a narrow run before the magnum.

So, anyone have an Eddy up top yet?
Got a email from Summit, a few days ago, that told the shipping date has been moved up to 4-18-2015.

Loosing 30# off a high point over the front axle is worth part of the price to me. If it gets closer to $1k or 25% off I'll be tempted.

Got a email from Summit, a few days ago, that told the shipping date has been moved up to 4-18-2015.

Ship date got moved again to May 2nd.

I have a customer that is going to go Postal

Back