• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Edelbrock aluminum head in the works

. I personally think it will be a pain in the a$$ since you'll need to use headers made for the older 7120/0630 exhaust port locations.
The 2000+ headers cover the earlier ports with out issue. Same is for the reverse. It is a shame the didn't use the higher port floor though.

The 2000+ headers cover the earlier ports with out issue. Same is for the reverse. It is a shame the didn't use the higher port floor though.

Oh, good to know. Welding on new heads is always nicer than a well seasoned one.

My friend's shop is a dealer for Edelbrock and he has tried a few times with no luck yet. As for flow numbers, I'll have to do some digging to find them again.

-Alex

Thanks for clearing that.
It's just the 2000-up factory cast exhaust manifolds that block some parts of the older exhaust ports right?
I've seen 4-5 different aftermarket 00+ headers and not one had a problem sealing the earlier ports. So, yes its just the stock manifolds.

Factory 0331 vs. ATD Diesel casting company new replacement casting.
http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=245863879&postcount=16

About half way down this abandoned build thread there is some flow data, one is a stock 0331 vs. 0721.
http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=245

-posting a quick response because floor, rocker replacement and adding unibody siffeners isn't much fun...

-Alex

Thanks! I've noticed that the intake ports of the 7120 flow a bit higher than the 0331 at .400 lift (factory 96' cam has .408 intake lift), but the 0331 exhaust flow is definitely higher at the .400 lift (factory 96' cam has .414 exhaust lift). I don't think the 8-10 cfm difference is enough to justify the money and hassle taking a perfectly good 0630 head off my engine and installing a thick-cast 0331 head though. I'm currently running an exhaust setup that increases the velocity of the entire exhaust system. Hopefully it aids a bit in the "lazy port" design exhaust-wise.

Last edited:
Oh, its not worth switching a head out for a few CFM. The 0331 is a better starting point if given the option from the beginning, you just need to be aware that that casting is prone to cracking when overheated..

t that casting is prone to cracking when overheated..
While overheating definitely doesn't help the crack can happen with out overheating.

Also, 2003+ 0331 heads are a revised casting that has "TUPY" stamped between #3 and #4 cylinders. This casting does not crack.

Hopefully they're smart enough to raise the valve cover rail to accommodate
roller rockers with a cast OEM valve cover.

Summit is taking orders with a shipping date supposedly in early March.

Around $75 per horsepower, if I recall the claims.
Still more bang for the buck building a stroker, but if you are going all out, why not put a head on it too.

their "dyno sheet" shows 215hp ,25 over stock.
I wonder what it would do on a stroker.

Back