• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dusy Ershim this Summer?

Looks like we have our group and with hopes of a few more joining. Now we need to get the details ironed out. Where are we camping the first night? Who will get the fire permits? Where will we leave the truck/trailers? Are we gonna meet in Socal somewhere and then all head up together? What time on Wednesday do we want to head up?

I'll start getting information on those items Brad.

Another question that may influence where we park and camp on the first night...

which way do we want to run the trail?

The "easier" way (North to South), or the "harder" way (South to North)?

I vote south to north.

I can get the fire permits since I pass the ranger station everyday on my way to work. In regards to parking the trucks/trailers; I looked at the map you posted at the beginning of this thread and it looks like the trail starts at Courtright Reservoir (from the south) and ends near Huntington Lake (from the north). The only place that the two roads to go to those lakes meets is at Shaver Lake. We will probably need to find a spot in that small town to park the tow rigs. From their it looks like about a 45 minute drive to the trail head and about a 45 mintue drive back once we exit the trail. I'm not sure I am correct on the beginning and ending of the trail. I am only guessing by what I see in the map. You mentioned the South to North is the harder path. I'm fine taking the "hard way" as long as we aren't going against the grain. A lot of trails out there have an unofficial but commonly known right and wrong way. I'm not big on going the wrong way on a high traffic trail.

Last edited:
I remember reading somehwere about a staging area where people generally park their tow rigs, but I am not sure where I read that.

I posted the question to the Sierra chapter, so hopefully someone will comment.

My understanding is that south to noth is the more common direction... but I will try to confirm.

Thought I would revive this thread...

I will be contacting the Forest Service within the next couple weeks to find out how it looks for the trail being opened. I know there was another late storm, so there is a chance the trail is not opened by our planned dates (Thursday-Sunday, August 11-14).

If the Dusy isn't open by then, I would still want to get out for a few days then. Maybe we should have a back-up plan. Any thoughts on where we could go that would be less snow?

Thought I would revive this thread...

I will be contacting the Forest Service within the next couple weeks to find out how it looks for the trail being opened. I know there was another late storm, so there is a chance the trail is not opened by our planned dates (Thursday-Sunday, August 11-14).

If the Dusy isn't open by then, I would still want to get out for a few days then. Maybe we should have a back-up plan. Any thoughts on where we could go that would be less snow?

I'm glad your thinking of a back up plan as well. My situation has recently changed. My School District finalized our schedule and salaries for next year and I will be taking ANOTHER pay cut. The one last year really hurt and this one is killing my wife and I. I'm not sure I'm gonna have the $$ for gas for the Dusy trip even if the trail is opened up. I will continue to plan for it and hope that money shows, but we should definately set up an alternative in case weather doesnt' permit. I was thinking something semi local so that the gas issue wouldn't be an issue. Maybe we could do a few days of camping out in Johnson Valley. That way we could hit up Big Bear one day, Bull Frog & Cakewalk another day, the Hammers another, and we could even cruise down to Calico for a 4th day if we wanted. From Johnson Valley we can get to any of those trails pretty quickly and then be home on the final day in an hour or two. This would also allow people who can only afford a day or two to still be able to join us. Just a thought. Hopefully others will have an opinion as well.

Mite bit warm in JV in August... I'm just sayin'...

Easy for me to say, as I'll be driving up to the Bay Area on the 12th or 13th to retrieve my daughter from Summer College, coming home the 14th. (AKA I don't get to go wheeling on this trip...)

Are you guys still planning on running Aug 11-14? Some of us from Norcal may come out and join.

Are you guys still planning on running Aug 11-14? Some of us from Norcal may come out and join.

Yes I am. I plan to call Anthony at the Sierra National Forest, High Sierra District this week to find out if he plans to open the trail before August 11th.

I'll post up when I do.

Do any of you Nor Cal guys know about places to park tow rigs near the trail, (or preferably near Shaver Lake)??

Thanks!

Parking in Shaver is gonna suck. Maybe at Kens Market in the lot out back would be your best bet in Shaver IMO. I know there is lots of parking in Huntington though. Across from the store/restaurant by the Post Office comes to mind. Its been a year or so since Ive been up there so things may have changed, they were busy constructing stuff everywhere last summer.

I would start out with a call to Kens Market.
559-841-3549

I wish I could make it..been wanting to for years. We try to camp at Shaver (Edison) every year for 10 days and I get stupid bored after 3.

Last edited:
Yes you guys can park at Shaver lake.
If you guys are going south to north; I suggest to find the nearest city off the 99 and park in your tow rig in a wal mart parking lot or similar store with a big parking lot. Just get permission from management of the store! It would suck ass if it got towed because they thought it was dumped.

I spoke with Anthony at the Forrest Service this morning. He said it is highly unlikely the trail will open at beginning of August. He said he is more expecting "mid-August".

He plans to hike through Dusy in the next week or so. He told me to call back in 2 weeks to get a more specific opening day for the trail.

Ok... looks like there is a good chance the trail won't be open by August 11th (although that has not yet been confirmed).

Also, seems interest in waning... looks like some who were interested are possibly attending Sierra Fest, others may be trying to sell their rigs.

Please let me know if there is still any interest.

If not, I am going to go ahead and plan to attend Sierra Fest.

Thanks,
Mike

Ok... looks like there is a good chance the trail won't be open by August 11th (although that has not yet been confirmed).

Also, seems interest in waning... looks like some who were interested are possibly attending Sierra Fest, others may be trying to sell their rigs.

Thanks,
Mike

I REALLY want to go, but the money I was putting aside for this trip is getting eaten up by a new t-case. I will probably not be able to afford this trip now. Maybe we could put together a 2-3 day trip in Big Bear or Johnson valley during early august. Ive always wanted to do the LONG trail in Big Bear of Gold Mtn. to John Bull to Holcomb Creek to Dishpan and maybe even do Cleg to exit at the 15. Do that over a two day span with a campspot somewhere between JB and Holcomb.

Thanks,
Mike

Id just plan on Sierra Fest. Heres the word as of the 13th...

From the 4wdcFforum said:
Got a report last night of six foot snow drifts and 38 trees down in the first two miles of trail leading to Voyager Rock. The ranger thinks it will be two weeks before we can walk through to assess the situation.

I have plans to run it the week after you guys, and we are looking at options now. THey wont be looking at the trail until the end of the month, and then they have to clear it.

I was supposed to run Swamp next week and we've already axed it. They are reporting 12 feet of snow on the trail in the switchbacks on the way down towards Mud Lakes.

It was a heavy winter.

k.

Back