• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dusy Ershim this Summer?

I'd like to run this, looks effing great and beautiful. I cant go towards the end of August as my Womans Bday is the 28th of August :p

I would be in pending funds, and getting my rig together.

The best part is the first group left as i was putting the wheel on.

So Max, you think you might come along on this trip? Sounds a lot like the Rubicon (except for being 3 hours closer) and I'm always up for new trails.

Thinking about it.

I know NorCal chaper is doing Rubicon and Deer Valley for there fest, that is tempting as they are taking a few extra days.

What ever we do lets not have crazy schedules to get back to!

I'd love to join you guys if it actually opens... Tons of snow this year. If you have never been up this direction, you will definitely not regret it.

x2

For that reason, would earlier in August work better for everyone?

I go back to work the 3rd week of August, so if I'm coming it would have to be during the 1st 2 weeks of August for me.

I just got off the phone with Anthony at the Sierra National Forest, High Sierra District office. Anthony manages the OHV program for the Sierra Forest. He was very friendly and very helpful.

Under a recently adopted guideline, the trail's official opening date is August 2nd. It will not open before that no matter how dry it might be. He did say that going forward, the trail will remain closed every year until at least August 1.

He said, as of now, he assumes the trail will open on August 2, but cannot guarentee anything. If there is more snow, they may open it later than that. He instructed me to call back in June to get a better update... but he did seem pretty confident it would open on August 2 despite the record snow.

So, as of now, I think we should go ahead and choose a date within the early-mid part of August.

Brad, what day do you start work again? If we went the weekend of the 12-13th, would that work for you... or would you have to be back at work on the 14th?

I want to plan it for as late as possible just in case it opens late... but I don't want it to be so late that people feel rushed to get back home.

Also, while talking to Anthony, he did mention that there are two other nice trails up there. If anyone wants to take a little extra time and check out those other trails also, I would be interested in doing that.

Maybe, we could run the Dusy, and those that need to head back could. Then the rest of us could go check out some of the other trails.

Let me know what you all think?

Brad, what day do you start work again? If we went the weekend of the 12-13th, would that work for you... or would you have to be back at work on the 14th?

For the last 3 years our school year started the 3rd week of August. We will either start back on the 13th or the 20th. Our union and the board have not agreed on next years calendar so the start date has not been determined, but at this point it looks like the 20th will be the start date. I will know by the end of this month.

Ok, I am thinking running the Dusy from Friday August 12 to Sunday August 14th... and then, I am thinking about hanging out in the area and checking out some other trails starting Monday August 15th for a couple days.

Let me know if this works for most of you and we can set the date.

Thanks!!

Ok, I am thinking running the Dusy from Friday August 12 to Sunday August 14th... and then, I am thinking about hanging out in the area and checking out some other trails starting Monday August 15th for a couple days.

Let me know if this works for most of you and we can set the date.

Thanks!!

Can the trail be ran in that amount of time? From looking at maps, it appears to be more then twice as long as the Rubicon and we barely got through that in 3 days.

Edit: I just got my schedule for next year and I go back on Tuesday August 16th. So I will be free that weekend. We may want to head out on Thursday and camp near the trail head so we can be on the trail 1st thing Friday morning.

Last edited:
Can the trail be ran in that amount of time? From looking at maps, it appears to be more then twice as long as the Rubicon and we barely got through that in 3 days.

The Forest service says it takes 2-3 days. Most things I have read say that 3 days is enough, but we would have to plan on driving every day.

I actually would prefer to spend 4 days on the trail, but I am also sensitive to other people's schedule.

If people can do Thursday through Sunday, I would be on board with that.

We may want to head out on Thursday and camp near the trail head so we can be on the trail 1st thing Friday morning.

Sounds good to me.

I think im in I have it on the calendar,I think leaving thursday night would be the best and get a early start friday morning.

Back