• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Duck Dynasty

The president and CEO of Skyjacker Suspensions has gone on record as saying that they support Phil and will continue to sponsor Duck Dynasty. I've never been a big fan of Skyjacker products, but I will say, they do look better now.

And maybe I've just grown up around very "crude" people, but what he said doesn't seem nearly as outrageous as the "outrage" expressed by the LGBT community. Those people need to grow a pair (pun intended) and quit being such fickle, easily offended, weak shells of human beings. Ah hell... there I go being intolerant again :banghead:

Having read a little more about Duck Dynasty and it's history, I've reached a tentative conclusion about this mess. It's actually a way for A&E to save face and appease their shareholders.

The show backfired on A&E in a big way. They intended to have a reality show featuring a bunch of inbred backwoods clowns running around making fools of themselves, for the coveted "18-39 y/o" demographic to tune in to each week and laugh at. What they got was a show featuring a traditional family, led by a strong male figure, with highly traditional, strong mainstream conservative christian beliefs. Instead of a small share of the coveted demographic pie they were looking for, they got droves of normal people from every group,(including that coveted "young people" demographic) Problem was, nobody was laughing.

This wasn't the message A&E was trying to send, but there was no way to cancel the show due to the stratospheric ratings. As a public company, canceling that cash cow (cash duck?) would tank their stock, and get a LOT of people fired. So what to do?

Somebody realized that the views held by this happy group are way outside the "left-coast norm". It wouldn't surprise me if somebody from A&E called the people at GLADD, pointed out the GQ article, and asked them to start some kind of protest. This gave the execs at A&E the cover to "fire" the dad, betting that the rest of the family would walk, which they apparently have.

Now they don't have to cancel the show. It's just gone. Problem solved.

You may have just nailed it.

1521883_640722965983192_961138274_n.jpg

I'm a little confused by A&E's position on this. They hired a religious redneck that makes duck calls to do a TV show about religious rednecks that make duck calls, and are upset that they got a religious redneck that makes duck calls?
That's about the best thing I've read all day.

I don't agree with his views, but hey, they're his views not mine. He can say em whenever or wherever he wants.

For a while I thought they were yelling about their first amendment rights being infringed on by A&E because he was removed for saying that on the show... which isn't really what the first amendment says. They're just as much in their rights to give him the boot for saying that as he is for saying it.

I don't really give a damn either way honestly because I've never watched the show, don't have cable, and don't plan to change either of those things, however.

Having read a little more about Duck Dynasty and it's history, I've reached a tentative conclusion about this mess. It's actually a way for A&E to save face and appease their shareholders.

The show backfired on A&E in a big way. They intended to have a reality show featuring a bunch of inbred backwoods clowns running around making fools of themselves, for the coveted "18-39 y/o" demographic to tune in to each week and laugh at. What they got was a show featuring a traditional family, led by a strong male figure, with highly traditional, strong mainstream conservative christian beliefs. Instead of a small share of the coveted demographic pie they were looking for, they got droves of normal people from every group,(including that coveted "young people" demographic) Problem was, nobody was laughing.

This wasn't the message A&E was trying to send, but there was no way to cancel the show due to the stratospheric ratings. As a public company, canceling that cash cow (cash duck?) would tank their stock, and get a LOT of people fired. So what to do?

Somebody realized that the views held by this happy group are way outside the "left-coast norm". It wouldn't surprise me if somebody from A&E called the people at GLADD, pointed out the GQ article, and asked them to start some kind of protest. This gave the execs at A&E the cover to "fire" the dad, betting that the rest of the family would walk, which they apparently have.

absolutely this. 1000000x this. it actually surprised me that it wasnt an inside job and that the article wasnt in esquire- a&e is a joint disney/abc and hearst venture; esquire is a hearst mag, GQ is it's direct competitor and owned by conde nast.

Re: Re: Duck Dynasty

Your conspiracy theory gives A&E way too much credit. They control the show. They can edit it in a way to make him look like an idiot. They can cut out religion if they chose to. The editor of the show has complete control of how everyone is portrayed.

I think this it's just simply a company stuck between 2 views not wanting to offend either.

Your conspiracy theory gives A&E way too much credit. They control the show. They can edit it in a way to make him look like an idiot. They can cut out religion if they chose to. The editor of the show has complete control of how everyone is portrayed.

I think this it's just simply a company stuck between 2 views not wanting to offend either.

This is the other end of it.

I see this entire issue as being a talking point for the larger discussion of exactly how much "Right" do you actually "have" to have and speak your own mind in America.

You see and hear examples of this on a smaller, but no less meaningful level.
Some guy or gal slips up around the water cooler with people that they believe are "CO"-Workers, and the next thing you know, the are without a situation.
Now they have a black mark on their record, and who will then hire this "bigot"?

In this new paradigm, how "Free" are we to speak our beliefs or think our own mind?

The group that should be upset are the conservative Christians. Phil's comments are not going to help the people that need religion in their lives find it. Rather it will just push them further away.

did you read his actual comments?

anyone who is pushed away by them has not read them, or they are simply trying to find an excuse for hating God.

I am a Christian that advocates heavily against anti-gay rhetoric for exactly that reason. our job is to spread the love of God, not create more hatred. his comments did not bother me at all. that is not what he did, nor was it his purpose.

knowing a thing or two about television production, I can tell you that is not really true. there are too many people involved.

Back