• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's Window Not Working

XJ_Jeeper01

NAXJA Forum User
Well my driver's window stopped working a couple months ago. I took the door panel off and started inspecting the wires for any nicks or cuts in them. At first I thought it might be the switch or even the motor had crapped out. The Jeep had been sitting for quite awhile back in North Carolina and it wouldn't surprise me if all that moisture and humidity killed it. I discovered when messing with the wires that plug into the back of the switch panel that if I held the white wire in a certain position the window would work just fine.
This wire:

I did take the switch panel completely apart and cleaned the contacts on all of the switches just to be sure. They were pretty dirty when I took it apart. I put it all back together and it worked fine for a couple days and then it just stopped working again. I figured from driving around the vibrations moved the wire just enough to keep it from working. I took the door panel apart and tried moving the wire again to see if the window would work. No luck. I really don't know anything about electrical and I tried tracing that wire farther back to see if I could find anywhere it might be shorting out and no luck. All the other switches work perfectly fine and I really think it's just that wire and not the switch, motor or regulator. Anyone know which wires goes to which switch? Thanks.

You need a multimeter and a wiring diagram the service manual is readily available on the internet but you will have to search for it since it's not permitted to post it here.

Often times the terminals in those connectors get loose or they get wet and get a little corrosion and become an intermittent. That's a good place to start. They can be replaced with some patience and a small flat tool hopefully it's that simple.

Other wise you need to start testing for breaks/continuity in the harness wires. You know the motor works so work backwards from there.

The copper core for a wire can break under the insulation. You can't really see anything, but you can often feel the break when you squeeze the wire.

I was able to pull that wire out from the plastic connector. The metal terminal seemed a bit loose, so I'll start with replacing that piece. I have a multimeter, I'll search around for the wiring diagram. Thanks for some input, hopefully I can get this figured out and it's something simple.

The end of the terminal should have a little metal tab that holes it into the plastic clip housing. You use a small flathead to press that down and it should slide out only after that tab has been pressed down. If its been broken, you'll continue to have the same issue until you replace and recrimp a new one on

Update with fix!

I decided to take the switch panel apart and look at the switches again and I discovered that the solder on the back of one of the pins was cracked. From a diagram I had found from searching through the forum, that specific pin had to do with controlling the driver's window.

The one above it was starting to crack too so I soldered both of them back up and the window now works perfect!

Hopefully this will help anyone that comes across the same problem. I'm just glad it wasn't a break somewhere in the wire where it'd be almost impossible to get to.

Back