• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drilling 1/4"

I drilled five 7/16ths hole with a Dewalt Cobalt and lubracated 3 times a hole with used motor oil at 620 RPM. Bit still seems as sharp as new.

Thanks!

A good rule of thumb the Airforce showed me is to watch your shavings. If the shavings are small chips go slower and apply more pressure. If the shavings are long than you are good. On steel slow speed heavy feed, soft metal high speed low feed.
Good drillin

I'll revive old thread....:eyes:

a Drill doctor is awesome for the single reason that it cuts a splitpoint in the drill. (if desired)

Since most don't know wtf that means...

this is a standard drill bit

068901b.gif

The flat chisel point cuts nothing. It spins in a itty bitty circle and chews things up.

this is a split point

068901e.jpg

This is a great for drilling. Especially by hand.

You can eliminate the web of the drill by hand (bench grinder) if you know what to do. It's easy when it's a 1 1/2 drill bit, not so easy on .250 and under.

Btw I have drilled thousands of holes in alot of different steel for 10+years.

When grinding a bit by hand make sure the grey area (in splitpoint pic) is on a gradual decline. Too much rake (decline) makes bit weak.
The easiest way to achive this is to ALWAYS rock bit in a upward motion.

when ever im drilling through 1/4" or cutting it with the sawzaw i keep a cup of water next to me and dip the blade/bit in the cup every 15 seconds or so, since ive started doing that my blades and bits last around 3 times longer then they used to. keeping them from over heating works awesome for me, and drilling real small pilot holes then slowly stepping up bit by bit keeps my exspensive large sized bits from ever getting real dull. hope that helps somone

CanMan said:
And if they go dull, buy one of these. Its saved me tons of money on buying new bits.

drill-doctor_500.jpg

x100000

Plus all of the time spent dropping your project and driving to the store just to get a new bit. I can not count the time that I have saved me a 25 minute 1 way trip to the store...Then 25 minutes back.

Back