• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy a ARB compressor???/fix a minor leak on tank

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
I have a leak in my arb compressor and it needs a new "O" ring. Can I patch it up with some glue, silicone, pipe sealer, etc? It is a pretty small leak now at the top of the airtank. Otherwise I have quotes of around $235 for a new ARB compressor. I have a big 2-1/2 gallon tank/compressor that I just bought at Lowe's. It has a 100 psi max which is in the range of the arb requirement. Do you think I could hook my air line to it or do I need a pressure regulator switch to avoid damaging the arb unit in the diff? I would prefer patching up my existing arb comp, but the other big portable compressor is an option I hope, I want to have dual lockers for the con trip this weekend, without paying $$$ for a new ARB compressor now. It looks like part of the black rubber "O" ring is poking through the seal at the seam on the top. What do you guys suggest? Jes, I know this is a tech question, but I'm also seeking a place to possibly buy another compressor from if need be under $235 or so. What are your suggestions???
Troy

Re: Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy a ARB compressor???/fix a minor leak on tank

Black room temperature vulcanizing compound will do the trick. Disassemble the compressor from the tank, clean the O-ring, coat it in the above compound, reinstall and reassemble.

CRASH

Re: Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy a ARB compressor???/fix a minor leak on tank

CRASH said:
Black room temperature vulcanizing compound will do the trick. Disassemble the compressor from the tank, clean the O-ring, coat it in the above compound, reinstall and reassemble.

CRASH

Thanks for the info Crash. I cannot just still this stuff on the outside where the leak is? Could this be a temp fix at least? Super glue or silicone will not hold it right? Where do you get this Black room temperature vulcanizing compound at? Can I use my big portable compressor this weekend? It has a max psi of 100. Don't the ARB's require 80-105 psi? If I do need another comp so you know where I can get a new 1 cheap? I think the compressor I have is yours. :laugh: I wired the comp up to the battery directly and got it to work, maybe then it sprung the leak. :dunno: It wasn't running that long though.
Troy

good lord you are hopeless.

There's a bolt that goes thru the tank that holds the top on. It's a 13MM IIRC, tighten it. Voila, no leak.

I have never run an ARB compressor.

Dude, you have to remove 1 bolt to disassemble the compressor. Take it apart, and fix the seal correctly. Room Temperature Vulcanizing compound.

You need between 80 and 100 PSI to run the ARB's, however you get that is up to you. I wouldn't carry around a big extra compressor on the trail, besides probably needing a large inverter to power it. How many nominal amps does it draw?

CRASH

SeanP said:

There's a bolt that goes thru the tank that holds the top on. It's a 13MM IIRC, tighten it. Voila, no leak.

I have heard that it is helpful to urinate on the bolt before tightening it. It helps to free up any corrosion that may have built up over the years. ;)

CRASH

CRASH said:
I have heard that it is helpful to urinate on the bolt before tightening it. It helps to free up any corrosion that may have built up over the years. ;)

CRASH

It's right there in the manual. The aussies did that in the Outback to make it more stout.
SeanP

SeanP said:

I'm an accountant, what do you expect? :D I'm getting better though, I put in my axles though, wired up some rock lights, installed hood vents, Durabaked ext, etc. I'm not quite doing full width axles yet.

Could the bolt holding the tank come lose, causing it to leak. I guess that is possible. I will tighten it and see. Is there a compound that could also be applied externally to seal a air leak (super glue, silicon, teflon paste, etc)? Could I use a portable compressor as long as it is within the 80-105 psi range? I'm not sure if it has a pressure regulator built in. It does have a gauge where the psi can be dialed in.
Troy

CRASH said:

CRASH

I'm not falling for that 1 man. :nono: I know that urinating on your foot is good to do after getting a jellyfish sting though. That's about all I know urinating on things is good for. :D
Troy

steinjeep said:
I'm not falling for that 1 man. :nono: I know that urinating on your foot is good to do after getting a jellyfish sting though. That's about all I know urinating on things is good for. :D
Troy

Two words: Golden Shower.

CRASH

steinjeep said:
I'm an accountant, what do you expect? :D I'm getting better though, I put in my axles though, wired up some rock lights, installed hood vents, Durabaked ext, etc. I'm not quite doing full width axles yet.

Could the bolt holding the tank come lose, causing it to leak. I guess that is possible. I will tighten it and see. Is there a compound that could also be applied externally to seal a air leak (super glue, silicon, teflon paste, etc)? Could I use a portable compressor as long as it is within the 80-105 psi range? I'm not sure if it has a pressure regulator built in. It does have a gauge where the psi can be dialed in.
Troy

UNBOLT THE BOLT, STRAIGHTEN THE SEAL, RTV IT, REASSEMBLE.

CRASH

CRASH said:
I have never run an ARB compressor.

Dude, you have to remove 1 bolt to disassemble the compressor. Take it apart, and fix the seal correctly. Room Temperature Vulcanizing compound.

You need between 80 and 100 PSI to run the ARB's, however you get that is up to you. I wouldn't carry around a big extra compressor on the trail, besides probably needing a large inverter to power it. How many nominal amps does it draw?

CRASH

I'm not sure how much it draws, but I just installed a new yellow top Optima deep cycle battery. I'm going to really test it out with my 3 pairs of rock lights. I never got that compound before, can I buy it as Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc? Is it more of a plumbing sealant or air related? Thanks for all your help and info Sean and Andy, I know part of the grief you give is deserved. :tears:
Troy
Troy

steinjeep said:
I'm not sure how much it draws, but I just installed a new yellow top Optima deep cycle battery. I'm going to really test it out with my 3 pairs of rock lights. I never got that compound before, can I buy it as Ace Hardware, Home Depot, etc? Is it more of a plumbing sealant or air related? Thanks for all your help and info Sean and Andy, I know part of the grief you give is deserved. :tears:
Troy
Troy

There are about 15 different kinds of RTV, it's the stuff you use on diff covers, valve covers, etc. Get it at any auto parts store. Grey or black is good for air leaks.

The number of batteries you have does not matter if you are running a 110 volts portable compressor through a power inverter. The power rating of the inverter is the limiting factor. Is it a 110 volt portable compressor? The formula for figuring out how many watts it draws:

Watts = Amps x Volts

Remember that running wattage is always about half of peak voltage at startup.

CRASH

RTV= Silicone Sealant: Goo, Gasket in a tube, Gorilla snot. Trade name Permatex etc...

Comes in flavors like red, blue, black, grey, copper, and unflavored clear.

Avoid getting it in your eyes, or on your hootus.

Thanks you guys, I have a few tubes of the red stuff from the previous owner of my jeep. He gave me everything/anything in stock parts he took off, to extra front rotors, etc. I'll have to go through it all and sell the stuff I don't need 1 of these days. I haven't taken a good look at the comp, so mind me not know how to disassemble it. I'll get it sealed up and hopefully it will work on the Rubicon trail this weekend. I know that many people have gotten through the Rubicon with 31" tires and open diffs or a locker or ls in the back, so I think I will be fine with my rear dana 44 with a detroit if my front arb decides not to work. I'm going on this trail regardless, I've waited to long to not to it now (6 yrs).
Troy

I put some clear silicon to the outside but it didn't hold. I'll unbolt the tank and reseal it and reassamble thanks. Thanks for all the advise you guys, you are a wealth of info and sarcasm. :wave1:
Troy

steinjeep said:
I put some clear silicon to the outside but it didn't hold. I'll unbolt the tank and reseal it and reassamble thanks. Thanks for all the advise you guys, you are a wealth of info and sarcasm. :wave1:
Troy

I'm shocked that jizzing some goo on the outside of a high pressure air leak didn't work.

Who could have foreseen such an outlandish scenario?

CRASH

I don't remember when I had such a good laugh. Thanks... Troy seriously are you just funnin us? If not call me maybe you can bring the heep up and I'll look things over.

Sean

woody said:
RTV= Silicone Sealant: Goo, Gasket in a tube, Gorilla snot. Trade name Permatex etc...

Comes in flavors like red, blue, black, grey, copper, and unflavored clear.

Avoid getting it in your eyes, or on your hootus.

Did I ever tell you about the time I Herculined my hootus? :)

Did wifey enjoy that?

I imagine you could look at it as the ultimate in durable prophylactics.

And it's bumpy, for her pleasure.

CRASH

Back