• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy a ARB compressor???/fix a minor leak on tank

Re: Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy a ARB compressor???/fix a minor leak on tank

CRASH said:
Did wifey enjoy that?

I imagine you could look at it as the ultimate in durable prophylactics.

And it's bumpy, for her pleasure.

CRASH

No it's smooth and has UV protection for both of your pleasure.

Re: Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy a ARB compressor???/fix a minor leak on tank

seanman said:
I don't remember when I had such a good laugh. Thanks... Troy seriously are you just funnin us? If not call me maybe you can bring the heep up and I'll look things over.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I've had a bunch of problems getting the ARB comp/wiring to work. I'll work on it a bit tonight because I'm off on the Rubicon tomorrow after work. Thanks for all your help, especially with getting those rock sliders installed, man those were a pain. I really like having them especially on a harder trail like the Rubicon. I hope your rig is coming together enough to do some wheeling this summer.
Troy

CRASH said:
I'm shocked that jizzing some goo on the outside of a high pressure air leak didn't work.

Who could have foreseen such an outlandish scenario?

CRASH

I had the silicone out so I thought, what the heck. I didn't hold too much faith in it.

With this new information can we assume now that you bought a used compressor and wiring harness,you didnt mention that before!
1-You could buy a o-ring locally
2-Do a point-to-point continuity check on the wiring harness and the switches!

RCP Phx said:
With this new information can we assume now that you bought a used compressor and wiring harness,you didnt mention that before!
1-You could buy a o-ring locally
2-Do a point-to-point continuity check on the wiring harness and the switches!

I got the comp used from a good source (Crash) and the wiring harness I bought new.

steinjeep.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't sound like you have a bunch of mechanical experience. It also doesn't sound like you take advice well. Those are two really scary character "issues" that when combined and brought to the back country, can be a real downer for those that you wheel with. I don't mind helping folks out on the trail, but there must be a modicum of responsibility on all wheelers. I like to wheel with folks who have skills and tools and spares to fix their rigs if something untoward happens. Nothing is a bigger buzzkill than the guy who has a hastily built rig with no spares, a big right foot, and inability to listen when someone gives them the directions to fix their problems. Please remember this when you are on the rubicon this weekend.

Well said, Sean.

While the 'Con is not in the league of some of the "extreme" trails we have been running lately, it can, and does jump up and bite veterans and newbies alike.

Things you SHOULD know how to do if you wheel backcountry trails:

Change front axle shafts.
Disassemble and reassemble a differential.
Rebuild a driveshaft.
Reseat a tire bead
Build and operate a simple welder using batteries.
Diagnose electrical gremlins related to your powertrain.

I'm very anal about this kind of stuff because I travel far from the beaten path often on hunting, fishing and 4 wheeling trips. The last thing I want to do is hike 25 miles to get back to pavement.

CRASH

BTW, Troy, that ARB compressor was never mine. That came from Seanman, and was operating perfectly when he gave it to you.

SeanP said:
steinjeep.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't sound like you have a bunch of mechanical experience. It also doesn't sound like you take advice well. Those are two really scary character "issues" that when combined and brought to the back country, can be a real downer for those that you wheel with. I don't mind helping folks out on the trail, but there must be a modicum of responsibility on all wheelers. I like to wheel with folks who have skills and tools and spares to fix their rigs if something untoward happens. Nothing is a bigger buzzkill than the guy who has a hastily built rig with no spares, a big right foot, and inability to listen when someone gives them the directions to fix their problems. Please remember this when you are on the rubicon this weekend.

SeanP:

I do take advise well and appreciate all the advise that people give when I ask a question. I did get the arb comp sealed after taking out the bolt and sealed it with the sealant Crash and other suggested. I do have spare axle shafts, steering, hubs, etc and I have changed them out before at home. I don't have a heavy right foot and know that if my dual lockers will not get me past an obstacle I rather use my winch than hammer it and break something. I respect the rubicon and have wanted to do this trail for the past 6 yrs ever since I knew what it was and 1 of the main reasons I moved from Chicago to Sac was to be able to do this trail and others with my jeep. I'm not the guy you might think I am, I do lack a bit of mechanical experience, but I'm working my way up with projects like the axle swap, Durabak ext/Herculiner int, etc etc.
Troy

CRASH said:
Well said, Sean.

While the 'Con is not in the league of some of the "extreme" trails we have been running lately, it can, and does jump up and bite veterans and newbies alike.

Things you SHOULD know how to do if you wheel backcountry trails:

Change front axle shafts.
Disassemble and reassemble a differential.
Rebuild a driveshaft.
Reseat a tire bead
Build and operate a simple welder using batteries.
Diagnose electrical gremlins related to your powertrain.

I'm very anal about this kind of stuff because I travel far from the beaten path often on hunting, fishing and 4 wheeling trips. The last thing I want to do is hike 25 miles to get back to pavement.

CRASH

BTW, Troy, that ARB compressor was never mine. That came from Seanman, and was operating perfectly when he gave it to you.

Enough said, I got the comp working and appreciate all the advise I rec'd. I never doubted the comp and knew that a simple fix was possible. Thanks again and see you guys on the trail at some point or at a meet and greet where we can get to know each other better. :wave1:
Troy

TRNDRVR said:
My .02 worth of info.
I hope it helps either now or in the future for you or anybody else.
Thanks,
Dan.

Nice mod Dan, that is a whole lot cheaper than getting an ARB comp at $240 or so. I have heard of people doing that.
Troy

I got the ARB working up front and man does it grab and make it hard to turn, it's a good thing that it's so easy to flip on and off. The detroit locker I have in the back of my dana 44 is hardly noticable on the street with an auto and taking it easy on it. I do notice a slight pulse/thump when I accelerate from coasting because I know this is when the locker, locks. Thanks again for all the advice I rec'd on this thread. The comp was very easy to open up and service the seal leak. Man that tank is small enough without their being a bolt in the middle of it too. I can see where it will want to come on after a few times of flipping the locker on & off.
Troy

I don’t want to quell the fun with an on topic post here and I would have chimed in sooner but I was rolling all over the floor. Nobody has mentioned that if the O ring is bad you may want to consider replacing it. It’s probably a 3 cent buna o ring that ARB would sell you for five bucks. Or better yet you could get a viton one that’s the same size and it would last forever.

Back