• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DO YOU THINK 37S ARE TO BIG??

Thanks MudDawg.

Cal:

Well, my previous Jeep was an '88 YJ w/ a 4" susp., 3" Body on 35" Boggers & 15x10 Eagle Alloys... which I wheeled pretty hard on it's stock axles & gears... I compensated w/ the 4.0L/5spd and never snapped an axle.

You or the previous owner may have wheeled your XJ on those 32's or some smaller tires a lot harder in rocks or other stressful situations! There's also people who tear up Dana 60 fronts w/ 44" tires when they rockcrawl... whereas D60's are pretty much bullet proof in mud/trails if you don't lay on the throttle & get stupid with them. I think the driver plays a big factor in how parts hold up.

I usually wheel alone so I don't have any action shots or poser pics to post up, so if you think I'm B.S.-ing... whatever. I just get tired of hearing everybody on 4x4 Chat sites recommend that IFS rigs be SAS-ed and add 3/4 ton strength axles to Jeeps on 35's. For some people's needs, this is overkill & thousands of $$$ and labor hours to create. I just wanted to show that although that building style is a nice LUXURY... it's NOT mandatory in order to have fun & go places. Instead of side-lining a rig for months & go broke in a perpetual cycle of constant build-up, just keep it simple and wheel it. Have a good winch or buddy to give you a tug if you get stuck, but avoid the temptation to sink $10k into a $2k rig unless you can really afford to. Guess I'm just throwing out what's possible for blue-collar folks out there on McDonalds wages that need to get the most bang for their buck.

And as far as breakage... spare D-shafts, axle shafts, etc. for D30/35 axles are dime-a-dozen at almost every junkyard in every state... whereas D44 fronts are not as common esp. in Southern cities & towns where almost everything in the Junkyards is 2WD... or all the 4x4's have been picked over already. Jeep XJ's are probably the most common 4x4 you'll find at any junkyard, so if you break a part, you're about guaranteed to find it at a local yard & for cheap.

Last edited:
MudAddict said:
There's also people who tear up Dana 60 fronts w/ 44" tires when they rockcrawl...

:helpme:

39.5s here...broken stock 35-spline D60 inner, 30-spline outer, 30-spline drive flange, full Detroit, twisted one 35-spline alloy outer stub. Lil ol' stock 4.0 engine.

Traction's a bitch.

A stock D44, front or rear, is marginal at best for 35s. A stock front 44 especially does not address ANY of the issues I had with my 30 and would have been a poor upgrade in that sense.

I will always tell people to go wheeling with what they've got. But at the same time, there's no need for everyone to make the same mistakes over and over again, nor is there any reason to give anyone a false sense of confidence that their rig will hold up to ______.

vetteboy said:
With a regular Warn hub, yeah, probably. With a D30 center it'd be a tossup depending on if you had it trussed, what ratio, etc.

What size outer stubs? Does it use the 19-spline D44 outers? If so, even the alloy versions of those are kind of weak.

It'll have the outers that came with the hub kit from Warn.That's what's on the 30. Are they the 19 Spline D44 outers?

My main reason for the swap is gearing. Extra strength will be great as I hesitate to flog the D30 with 35's locked. I just really want gearing lower than 4.88's. I currently have 4.56's. 4.56 gears were perfect on 32's.

I agree about not giving people false confidence. At the same time, you have nothing to lose if you're gonna junk the stock drivetrain, to just wheel it til it breaks... since resale value on used D30/35's isn't exactly stellar! You almost can't give those axles away unless it's someone SAS-ing a GEO Tracker or building a 4x4 go-cart. I actually sold the D44/9" axles I'd set aside for this XJ b/c I was in need of some $$ and had seen that these stock XJ axles were holding up fine for the trail riding I do. Eventually, I may get some more axles and do a full-width crawler buildup if I sell my Dodge, but I'm a lot wiser into all the hidden costs that creep up in extensively modifying a rig... and could only see doing this option if I had spare $$ burning a hole in my pocket.

Don't get me wrong....If I was bucks-up....my MJ #2 would get Rockwells and doubled 203/205 and a 383 with a TH400 on tractor tires and a 4 link coil over.....oh and Air Conditioning....it's such a blitch to get mud out of the interior.

MudAddict said:
I'm not saying lockers don't help in the mud... but if you do lockers & gears and are gonna spend over $1,000 in just parts, you might as well put them in some beefy axles like a D44/9" swap... but this just snowballs into a lot of other costs.

I only have about $2,500 TOTAL into this XJ (including its purchase cost).. vs. my $15k money pit:

XJ_and_JohnDeere_1_7_08082.jpg

DSC02266.jpg

DSC02285.jpg

...which is set up PERFECTLY for the mud & trail riding:

- Portal Axles (high center section)
- 7.56 gears (Deep Gearing!)
- Cable Lockers
- Full-Hyrdo Steering (ease of turning & no bad linkage issues)
- Beefed of Driveshafts
- Triple-sticked Dual T-cases (NP205/203)
- Only 6" Susp. Lift (low center of gravity)
- 16.5 x 12 STAZWORKS double beadlocks
- 44" Boggers
- Built 360 eng.
- 4 spd.

...not listing all this to brag, but on the contrary: I've dropped a ton of $$ (at least to a guy who only makes $25k in 1 yr... it took a LONG time to save this much)... and made the ultimate MUD / Offroad Truck, but it took a lot of time & fab work to create this. While this sat for several years being built, that cheap XJ which only took $1,500 in parts to make trail ready & a couple of weekends of buildup/labor time, has been a lot of fun & simple/easy to maintain & repair.

Having played the whole buildup / beef-up game every Off-roader eventually falls victim to... I've learned the hard way about the massive can of worms EXTREMELY modifying a rig can open! My XJ has a torquey little 4.0L & light weight... 1/2 the weight of the Dodge.. so I use that advantage & can get away going many places that my BIG Dodge goes. Plus, if the XJ gets stuck, anything can pull it out! Get that Dodge stuck & you'll need a Track Hoe OR Bulldozer to get back to where ever it managed to make it and get buried!

Haha, he thinks his truck has a low center of gravity! :confused1 Only in the south...:peace:

Ok bud, if you're talking about the Dodge... it ONLY has 6" Lift springs - that's it! + 6" gained from the Portal Axle height, so TECHNICALLY 12" of lift. For a Mud truck on 44" tires... that's pretty low! I could have kept STOCK leaf springs & hacked the cab fenders more, but would have had body-mount clearance issues, custom inner fenderwells made... etc.

You're right about this being a Southern truck though, cause it's got the least lift per tire height compared to everything else around on 44's... 15"+ lifts are the vast majority! But yeah, in the rockcrawling world, this truck has a GIGANTIC lift on it.. I guess? :worship:

Last edited:
Back