• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you fly RC aircraft or drones? Please read:

I'm a little confused about what the NOTAM would accomplish.

The problem is that people are flying these things without a clue as to what they are doing. Do you think those people would check notams? I can't imagine that there isn't already a TFR or something around the fires.

Eh, nothing new there. You are in the majority which probably doesn't scare you.

Scares me though.

:D

You obviously make the effort to be a responsible RC operator and participate in organized groups. Most of these groups educate operators to the hazards and regulations involved in operating RC aircraft which is great. Most pilots have in one way or another participated in this exact type of model flying at some point, and have a deep appreciation for it.

Commercial off the shelf drones are not the problem.

The problem here is, with exceptions, the people that can only fly behind the pilot(s).

Another educational moment for you though. Please be aware that the airport manager is a great place to start, but; not the final responsibility as to the notification of RC operations in the vicinity of an airport.

You/your organization is, as spelled out in the (I belive, don't quote me here...) 8300 order. You can obtain from the FAA, a waiver for most operations of just about any kind in controlled airspace, on a temporary or, semi permanant to permanant basis.

For GA and professional pilots, the most important thing is the "temporary" operations. We are notified via a "NOTAM". This is what the FAA will issue to notify pilot operating in the vicinity of your activities. Permanant / Semi Permanant operations are actually charted, and, listed in the AFD covering the region.

I also have to remind you on a friendly basis, that almost without exception if you are younger than 90 years old or so, the airport was there first...

some of our chartered RC fields date back to WWII. My field has been in acive use since the 40's ;)
Our permission is handled by the AMA, our record keeping is also handled by the AMA. The FAA has given the community wide latitude to self govern. If/when we fail that obligation the FAA will step in and be the FAA. They only know one way, and it is their's.
Hence the large push to educate new people and bring them into the fold.

Someone should invent a radio frequency scrambler that could be mounted on the planes that would cause nearby drones to drop from the sky. Problem solved.

Not only is that dumb for the reasons mentioned, but we typically operate in 4 bands.
72mhz
433mhz
2.4ghz
5.8ghz

72 mhz belongs to us. Any body causing intentional interference will deal with the FCC.
433 is amateur radio band. Anybody causing intentional interference will deal with them, and the FCC. There are also navigational aids in this band.
2.4 and 5.8 are ISM bands. You are not allowed to operate any device that causes interference in those bands or outputs @ greater than 500mW, or you will deal with the FCC.
See the recurring theme? intentionally causing radio interference means you will deal with the FCC, and they like to hand out fines.

Did you miss the part about 10 pound objects uncontrollably falling from the sky onto people?

Maybe you should drop a 10 pound weight on yourself and test it out first.

Ron, don't NOTAMs come from the operations dept of an airport? That's who we file with when we need something special here on the air station. In a small county airport, that is inevitably the airport manager, who is the one guy that works there.

I learned a lot about airport ops over the years but got a crash course last year in Oshkosh for 8 days.

We got NOTAM from the FAA via the AMA when the president was in the area.

It was BS. He was 60 miles away from the field, but whatever, rules be rules.

The problem is that people are flying these things without a clue as to what they are doing. Do you think those people would check notams? I can't imagine that there isn't already a TFR or something around the fires.

you get it.

the kinds of people that would fly a quad into an area that is obviously being used by full scale aircraft are morons.

there's not much that we can do except attempt to educate them.
Still, most of them are twits that think what they're doing is perfectly safe "because it's just a toy"

Don't NOTAMs come from the operations dept of an airport? That's who we file with when we need something special here on the air station. In a small county airport, that is inevitably the airport manager, who is the one guy that works there.

I learned a lot about airport ops over the years but got a crash course last year in Oshkosh for 8 days.

Yes, however they can only report activities they know about. I.e a Club which talks to the Airfield and wants to use part of a runway for a demonstration Airshow might result in a NOTAM that reads "RC aircraft operations on field between 08:00 and 12:00...

But they can't report what they don't know.
I don't call the airfield when I head to the RC park or fire up a Heli in the back yard. Course, I know better to play in the big plane's sandbox.
I came across a heart shaped balloon one day when I was out on a joy ride. Sure startled me ;) There wS no NOTAM about stray party ballons :)

Yes, however they can only report activities they know about. I.e a Club which talks to the Airfield and wants to use part of a runway for a demonstration Airshow might result in a NOTAM that reads "RC aircraft operations on field between 08:00 and 12:00...

But they can't report what they don't know.
I don't call the airfield when I head to the RC park or fire up a Heli in the back yard. Course, I know better to play in the big plane's sandbox.
I came across a heart shaped balloon one day when I was out on a joy ride. Sure startled me ;) There was no NOTAM about stray party ballons :)

I just typicaly chalk to to to Captain Wrong being drunk again. :cheers:

PS - Why you don't wheel with us no more :(

Back on topic. Happened *again* today during the new North fire at I-15 / Hwy 138.

900x506

900x506

They had to halt airborne ops for hobbycraft. It was a brush fire that burnt over the highway. I have no idea whey the cars were all stopped so close to the fire zone (freeway closed) to enable them to get burnt over.

Congrats drone morons, you're gonna get your hobby banned

You could say the same thing about wheelers.

I could, and have in the past.

Not sure I've ever seen a wheeler interfere with firefighting though.

I could, and have in the past.

Not sure I've ever seen a wheeler interfere with firefighting though.

Interfering with putting it out or starting it in the first place is the same thing.

Your statement seemed to insinuate that everyone that is involved in quadcopters is a moron, when there is an entire organization of members dedicated to safe, responsible radio control flight, not unlike the organizations that offroad enthusiasts belong to to encourage safe, responsible outdoor activities.

There are morons in every hobby.

Of course I'm just a reserve 64 driver who puts up 140 hrs a year including sim time, all local area.

First, Thank you for your service, sir. I'm in your area of OPs all the time. You tell me when, I buy.

In another life, I'd fly an A-10. Low and slow...

I support the -64, the -47 and most all variations of the -60. Airframe parts, for Army/Airforce aviation. What I can disclose is mostly at CCAD, The DLA, and, for foreign operators all over the world. I fly a 7GCBC and a M20J into and out of NGP, OZR and HUA, all the time.
I also have a type rating for the F-900LX and the G-650 for foriegn operations.

My comment here was aimed at legitimate RC operators. I was litterally re-stating what most legitimate RC operators already know, and, abide by.

You, and I, as pilots are made aware of unanticipated operations via NOTAM/ATC, Irregardless of the MTR's you may use in the course of your operations, and the plans I my make as part of the required pre flight actions....

Hope this clears up any confusion...

you better make sure drmoab sees this....

Don't be such a dick.

This situation and the one that you totally lost your mind about are completely different.

And if you wouldn't have come off as such a petulant baby in that post you would have seen that it wasn't really me who was disagreeing with you, but a friend of mine. I was only letting it go on because it was so much fun watching you lose your mind over the dumbest thing.

Don't be such a dick.

This situation and the one that you totally lost your mind about are completely different.

And if you wouldn't have come off as such a petulant baby in that post you would have seen that it wasn't really me who was disagreeing with you, but a friend of mine. I was only letting it go on because it was so much fun watching you lose your mind over the dumbest thing.

Waaaaa....

But nice try.

Back