• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you fly RC aircraft or drones? Please read:

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
As you may have heard there have recently been issues with irresponsible RC aircraft pilots interfering with wildfire fighting aerial operations. This may have been partially to blame for the recent Lake Fire's growth North as they were unable to attack the new front from the air.

Please read the below infographic. You can click on it to get a higher quality printable PDF. Please forward this to anybody you know that may be interested.

Thank you for reading this.

How could they ever enforce anything or go about proving that someone owns the drone being flown dangerously?

I also would like to see the average flying height of a drove Vs. the height of the planes in question.

How could they ever enforce anything or go about proving that someone owns the drone being flown dangerously?

It's tough to properly ID, yes.

I also would like to see the average flying height of a drove Vs. the height of the planes in question.

Firefighting aircraft fly low, RC aircraft is an unknown to them so they ground the fleet so as not to cause an unfortunate incident.

End of the day there is no reason to do this. Yes you can get some cool footage but is it really worth interfering with the operation?

It's tough to properly ID, yes.

Firefighting aircraft fly low, RC aircraft is an unknown to them so they ground the fleet so as not to cause an unfortunate incident.

End of the day there is no reason to do this. Yes you can get some cool footage but is it really worth interfering with the operation?

A quick google search(accuracy unchecked) shows that the fire fighting planes average a drop to 150-200 feet off the ground. The average height of a drone is 50 feet. The big boys who can afford drones capable of going way up to 150 feet are rather expensive (to the tune of 30 grand and more if you include the HD camera setups they tend to carry). Not likely someone flying a $50,000+ drone is going to want to risk crashing it. Not to mention the very short flight time due to battery limits.

How much worse is a drone made of light weight materials striking a plane compared to a large bird or flock of birds? Aren't these planes rated for some pretty heavy strikes?

Not saying drones may not be a problem in some situations but this sudden panic over drones Vs. planes is way way over hyped and no actual information is being given. If people want to ban or regulate something they need to start proving valuable information and think of ways to enforce. Will every drone sold need an ID associated to it otherwise how could you ever prove someone owns one of these things while its being flown 50 feet up?

/I don't even own a drone.

/I don't even own a drone.

and your ignorance shows.

They are a danger to full size aircraft operating in support of firefighting operation.

period, end of story. Thats not even taking into consideration that you're also flying over people that have no idea you're overhead. Also a no no.

and let's not even discuss flying past your LOS while relying on a video downlink/TX uplink that's in an unlicensed spectrum that is subject to interference at any time.

Morons flying quads are to me like wheelers that go off the trail and make us look bad.
They are the reason that my hobby will see the full force of the FAA, and I'd like for that not to happen, thus I will ridicule them mercilessly, just as we would tards that aren't treading lightly.

just so I don't seem such an asshole, I will address your individual points.

Almost any model is capable of far more than 150 ft AGL. I won't lose control until I lose sight of it. I routinely fly my models in the 200 ft AGL range while performing aerobatics. We have a long standing gentleman's agreement with the FAA to keep it below 400 ft and out of controlled airspace.

bird strikes can bring down aircraft. That's a fact. Now add some metal bits, and figure that a DJI (the most popular) with a gopro on it is going to weigh 2 kilo. it's gonna be bad, you're going to smash the windscreen, or damage a prop when they hit you.

there are no regulations yet, but if people keep being dumb there will be.

That people would even consider putting other people's lives in danger just so they can film something is ludicrous to me. That makes you a self centered entitled asshole with no regard for others, and you should be kicked in the taint until you are no longer able to reproduce. I guess this is the selfie generation embodied though. Facebook likes for your video are so important you'd risk other peoples death.

Last edited:
and just before the next person asks me "how old are you?" I've got 30 years of RC modeling. I literally grew up at the club field, and I solo'd when I was 5 years old. My AMA number is in the half a million range. They're currently issuing them in the 2 million range.

I'm as close to an expert as you're going to get here.

Sounds like we need drone control if theyre so dangerous to low flying aircraft....

if morons keep doing dumb things with them that's exactly where we'll end up. :(

thus a crusade to keep people from doing dumb things.

Sounds like we need drone control if theyre so dangerous to low flying aircraft....

That is my point.

If these drones are as dangerous as people are up in arms about then what about other low level flying aircraft?

I live near a hospital that has a helipad and has medevac helicopters coming and going all the time. What happens when someone is flying a drone in what I can only assume to be a 'legal' manner (FAA regulation is what anything below 400 feet is fine?) and hits a copter? Is the drone operator negligent in that situation and face serious charges? If there's such a huge risk is there any type of license program? Can anyone go out and buy a drone and fly up to 200 feet and hit a low flying aircraft and have no way to trace it back to them?

Are we saying that the only place drones can't fly is near wild fires? Are we suggesting that its ok for them to ground all firefighter planes because they spot a drone thats flying 50 feet off the ground and they don't want to risk it? Is there any system in place other than someone making a judgement call when they see a drone in the area to say the fire fighter planes are grounded? Do we have bird spotters doing the same thing?

Any time a medevac helicopter is taking off or landing is there an alert put out to drone owners to land their toys? What about news helicopters or police helicopters?

Seems to be a lot of questions and again, no solid information being provided other than these drones are evil.

That is my point.

If these drones are as dangerous as people are up in arms about then what about other low level flying aircraft?

I live near a hospital that has a helipad and has medevac helicopters coming and going all the time. What happens when someone is flying a drone in what I can only assume to be a 'legal' manner (FAA regulation is what anything below 400 feet is fine?) and hits a copter? Is the drone operator negligent in that situation and face serious charges? If there's such a huge risk is there any type of license program? Can anyone go out and buy a drone and fly up to 200 feet and hit a low flying aircraft and have no way to trace it back to them?

Are we saying that the only place drones can't fly is near wild fires? Are we suggesting that its ok for them to ground all firefighter planes because they spot a drone thats flying 50 feet off the ground and they don't want to risk it? Is there any system in place other than someone making a judgement call when they see a drone in the area to say the fire fighter planes are grounded? Do we have bird spotters doing the same thing?

Any time a medevac helicopter is taking off or landing is there an alert put out to drone owners to land their toys? What about news helicopters or police helicopters?

Seems to be a lot of questions and again, no solid information being provided other than these drones are evil.

that's controlled airspace. Not supposed to be there, if flying within 5 miles of controlled airspace there is already a requirement to notify the operator.

the regulations already exist. The problem is educating people about them before they do something really dumb.

you're the one that keeps saying there's nobody putting out information. I'm telling you the information, and it's freely available on the AMA and FAA website.
Don't be obtuse.
Let's say you're traveling at 150 MPH on the freeway and I drop a 2 kilo rock into your windshield.
That's what it would be like for a full scale aircraft to hit a quad.
and yes, it's not generally a problem because in the rest of the world, where firefighting isn't happening, full scale aircraft stay above 500 feet.
We stay below 400. no issues.

Before you go spouting off about things you obviously don't know jack about, why don't you go and do some reading before you talk out of your ass?
Here's the AMA guidelines.
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf
here's the existing FAA regulations
https://www.faa.gov/uas/model_aircraft/
http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/
and the letter regarding our "special rule"
https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf
They already deem model aircraft under their purview, they just have chosen not to bother us.
Historically, the FAA has considered model aircraft to be aircraft that fall within the
statutory and regulatory definitions of an aircraft, as they are contrivances or devices that
are “invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.” See 49 USC 40102 and 14
CFR 1.1. As aircraft, these devices generally are subject to FAA oversight and
enforcement. However, consistent with FAA’s enforcement philosophy, FAA’s
oversight of model aircraft has been guided by the risk that these operations present. The
FAA first recognized in 1981 that “model aircraft can at times pose a hazard to full-scale
aircraft in flight and to persons and property on the surface,” and recommended a set of
voluntary operating standards for model aircraft operators to follow to mitigate these
safety risks. See Advisory Circular 91-57, Model Aircraft Operating Standards (June 9,
1981). These operating standards included restricting operations over populated areas,
limiting use of the devices around spectators until after the devices had been flight tested
and proven airworthy; restricting operations to 400 feet above the surface; requiring that
the devices give right of way to, and avoid flying near manned aircraft, and using
observers to assist in operations.
So as I said, a "gentleman's agreement" that as long as we pose no risk they leave us alone.

see how it says that they partnered with leading advocacy organization? Yeah, that means we as a community are responsible for policing our own.
which is why people that aren't morons attempt to educate morons on the safe usage. It is a big deal, because if we fail the FAA is going to start forcing regulations down our throat. they have the authority to do so. they could with one letter shut down our entire industry. So yeah, those of us that have been in the hobby for a long time take it very serious.

Avoiding manned aircraft is rule #1. My flying field is near a county airport, and occasionally they get curious, and they come below 500 feet to have a look. Now that's entirely their fault, our location is known to the airport, as we are required to notify them of our operation by law. That still doesn't change a damned thing, if there's the possibility, even through a full scale pilot being dumb, that I may strike a manned aircraft I have an obligation to crash my shit to avoid them. No questions, no hesitation, I will put my very expensive model into the ground to avoid striking a full scale aircraft.

Hopefully I've cleared all of this up for you. It's not that regulations don't exist, they do, it's just that we'd like for the FAA to continue seeing us as a no/low risk user and not decide to place all of their weight on the hobby. It's entirely possible though that if some idiot with a quad brings down a firefighting plane that the public outcry would be enough for them to change their opinion, and then we would be subject to every single regulation that affects full scale aircraft. It's best not to poke the bear.

Last edited:
Before you go spouting off about things you obviously don't know jack about, why don't you go and do some reading before you talk out of your ass?

Typical drone user, can't have a discussion and instead resorts to acting like a child. :us:

I was asking questions, not stating facts(made up or otherwise). Seems like the topic is a bit touchy for you. Maybe you don't want all your drones serialized and have to be on a regulated list of drone operators.

It's entirely possible though that if some idiot with a quad brings down a firefighting plane that the public outcry would be enough for them to change their opinion, and then we would be subject to every single regulation that affects full scale aircraft. It's best not to poke the bear.

Guarandamnty it. Especially if it killed air/ground crew.

I have a simpler solution. Captain of every wildlands fire ground crew should be issued a shotgun. :pirate1:

Typical drone user, can't have a discussion and instead resorts to acting like a child. :us:

I was asking questions, not stating facts(made up or otherwise). Seems like the topic is a bit touchy for you. Maybe you don't want all your drones serialized and have to be on a regulated list of drone operators.

No, Nate's a prematurely curmudgeonly old man. Get ti right. hasta

That said I can see where he's coming from. Out of the gate your post could easily be interpreted as a "I know it all and this is bullshit" tone.

No, Nate's a prematurely curmudgeonly old man. Get ti right. hasta

That said I can see where he's coming from. Out of the gate your post could easily be interpreted as a "I know it all and this is bullshit" tone.

Eh, I was asking questions. I never once said I know anything about any of it and even made it a point to say that I did a quick google search and most of my posts were questions not statements of fact.

Birds are much easier to avoid because you have an idea of where they are going to go. Ducks climb and others dive. I've hit a bird before with my main rotor at night doing 90KTAS in a riverbed, below tree top level (~100'AGL).

iwannadie, 200' is nothing for a drone. I had a model AH-1 Cobra probably 20 years ago that would climb that high and it had no controls, just start it and it would take off then autorotate back down. Also, manned aircraft have radios, so when you see a lifeflight a/c coming in to land, they are making radio calls, and if you are flying in that area, you will know how to look up the correct radio frequency you should be on.

87manche, it is clear that you are passionate about keeping the FAA out of drones (which I agree with), but how can you expect to educate someone who just goes and orders a drone off of Amazon or something about the different types of airspace? I would hope that if someone went and got a "My first drone kit" from bjoehandley, that it would come with at least some literature and verbal instructions about flying neighborly, so I don't think those people are the issue.

Back