• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY Hood Struts

You just have to worry about collapsed lengths with these. Really the easy way is to measure the distance between the mounts on the hatch and work off that.
As for why ... With around 6" lift on my XJ is simply is far more convenient.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

'll take some measurements when I do the next ones.

I ordered the ball studs with brackets from Amazon. I made the ones for the one I did out of hood rod brackets. Let's call them "prototypes"......

I don't really see the point of adding struts. The stock prop rod is short and pretty far out of the way. It also holds the hood further up right. What I'm I missing?

The following question is the perfect answer to the above question:
Is your jeep lifted? Are you a tall person?

This is a great idea. Not to mention when you've been wheeling on a hot day and your hood is hot as F***. Why hold on to it all the way over to the lift rod, when it will open for you.

'll take some measurements when I do the next ones.

I ordered the ball studs with brackets from Amazon. I made the ones for the one I did out of hood rod brackets. Let's call them "prototypes"......
The ball stud/brackets can be had at almost any RV shop. They also use the same 10mm ball studs. And they can be had in a variety of options. That's where I got mine.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

AWESOME thread. Subscribed.

I don't really see the point of adding struts. . . . What I'm I missing?

I opened my hood once in a high wind that grabbed it and folded it right up against the windshield as I was trying to line up the support rod with the hole. Didn't do any noticeable damage, but I'd just as soon not have that happen again. Struts would have prevented it.

I haven't done this mod yet, but may get around to it some day. Not so much because of wind resistance because that's not an issue very often. More for convenience.

I bought the "kit", but it's the best thing that ever happened(I should have done it years ago). Since my stroke in 2012 I haven't been able to open my hood, since the "lifts" I can open/close mine with one hand on a 5.5" lift!

Back