• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit sucks

What exactly breaks in the Detroit? Where are the "clutch packs" in a Detroit?
Comparing a Detroit to an ARB or Ox is apples to oranges. A detroit is a ratcheting auto locker, its going to have different weaknesses than a selectable. I dont doubt that they do occasionally break but Im not sure that means they suck. That just means they are like everything else. Last year I FUBARed my t-case, that doesnt mean 231s suck, it just means that mine broke.
Maybe TTs CS sucks, that I can buy.
I dont believe that every time an axle snaps, so does the locker. Thats not to say that it cant happen but theres been lots of axles snap and the detroits lived.
You are probably angry at TT for not giving a rats a$$ but you bought a full case detroit for a reason, probably the same reason I did, because theyve been around forever and have a good track record even in much heavier applications than a Jeep. If they really did suck, dont you think more people wouldve noticed by now?

offroadman83 said:
I would have a detroit any day over an arb. Gotta love waiting on those noisy compressors to fill so you can go over the next obstacle. Or better yet not enough air to go over the next obstacle while you are attempting the obstacle. How about those loosening bolts on the locker itself chewing up expensive ring gears. Maybe an ox locker would be better.--------------Detroits are my fav-------Kyle

Never owned an ARB, huh?

That's not how mine work, maybe I should listen to the internet more often.

no i'm pissed because they will not warranty their own product that is still under warranty . i did nothing that would have cause it to break.the axle snapped i backed off the rock .had it in 4 the whole time to not put stress on the rear .got it to a trailer brought it home ,replaced the axle,went for a drive and heard nothing but crunching and one wheel drive.called several places West Coast Dif,Reider Racing,Randy's Ring & Pinion.guess what they all said the same thing yep if you break an axle the locker will break and yes TT won't warranty it.so yes i'm pissed because they don't give a rats 455 as you put it,they know their product will do this and won't warranty it because of it ....so i'm left with one conclusion Detroits sucks .

yes everything breaks not saying it doesn't .i just want them to warranty a product they sell when it shouldn't have broken .now i'm left with trying to slip it by them as to how it broke to try and get a new one and when that doesn't happen i'm left standing with nothing .so ya that gets me pissed

Wil Badger said:
no i'm pissed because they will not warranty their own product that is still under warranty . i did nothing that would have cause it to break.the axle snapped i backed off the rock .had it in 4 the whole time to not put stress on the rear .got it to a trailer brought it home ,replaced the axle,went for a drive and heard nothing but crunching and one wheel drive.called several places West Coast Dif,Reider Racing,Randy's Ring & Pinion.guess what they all said the same thing yep if you break an axle the locker will break and yes TT won't warranty it.so yes i'm pissed because they don't give a rats 455 as you put it,they know their product will do this and won't warranty it because of it ....so i'm left with one conclusion Detroits sucks .

yes everything breaks not saying it doesn't .i just want them to warranty a product they sell when it shouldn't have broken .now i'm left with trying to slip it by them as to how it broke to try and get a new one and when that doesn't happen i'm left standing with nothing .so ya that gets me pissed

Sounds to me like you're pissed about nothing. In the first place, you did waaaay too much driving around with a broken axle - that's YOUR fault and no one else's. Second, you haven't been told by TT that they won't warranty your locker - you're assuming they won't based on what someone else has told you happended in some other circumstance. It doesn't even sound from reading your thread like you've disassembled the rearend to determine if in fact there's anything wrong with your Detroit, and if so what. Aren't you being just a little premature?

no i have called and i did ask the rep so don't assume.second ya i had to drive on it to get off the trail .yes it is my own fualt for not having a spare axle for the back rear.it was a clean snap and was pretty far from the diff.if this was a mechanical locker it would not have happened,if it was an open end rear it would not have happened,if it was a spool it would not have happened .

how many times do i have to state it .i like detroit lockers for what they do and how the act but if this is what i have to accpect everytime i snap a shaft i don't want to run one .i'll run a spool.

can i ask why you tards are jumping down my throat for what i think of a company that won't warranty a product that is only a year old .it's my opinion and i'm allowed to have one there is no need to get all worked up for what i think .so keep your crappy comments to yourselves.the only reason i posted it was to keep this from happening to others that have a snapped axle .

Last edited:
Wow, this is the first time I have ever heard anything bad about Detroits. A friend of mine has a detroit in his 9". He broke a shaft and drove all the way home from Moab on it and it didn't hurt the locker at all. Everyone I have known that ownes one says they are almost unnoticable on road. But having never had one myself, I guess they could all be wrong...

Wil Badger said:
no i have called and i did ask the rep so don't assume.

can i ask why you tards are jumping down my throat for what i think of a company that won't warranty a product that is only a year old .it's my opinion and i'm allowed to have one there is no need to get all worked up for what i think .so keep your crappy comments to yourselves.the only reason i posted it was to keep this from happening to others that have a snapped axle .

OH! MY MISTAKE. You aren't just assuming that TT won't warranty your locker without knowing what's wrong with it (if anything). You actually called and asked if they'd warranty it based on what you are assuming to be wrong with it and what caused it. You're right. That's MUCH better reason to be trash-talking a highly reputable company and product.

Try rereading the responses to your thread and see if you think everyone else is a "tard" and wrong on this issue - or whether perhaps you might be spouting off inappropriately.

you are a moron. if you break an axle DON'T DRIVE ON IT! you say you have a 60 rear, so I assume that would be the full-floater version, PULL THE SHAFT OUT IMMEDIATELY.

if i wouldn't warranty something abused by the customer, and by abuse I don't mean wheelin it hard, I mean driving with a broken shaft.

Wil Badger said:

When I stopped by this thread I thought it would be a rant about Detroit MI. I was surprised that it was about Detroit the locker.
Im sorry if it seemed like I was "jumping down your throat". I didnt intend that.
You are intitled to your opinion. My opinion is that if I were in your circumstance, I would chalk it up to your basic trail breakage. If my Jeep was brand new and I took it offroad and bounced it off a rock, busted an axle shaft which took out my carrier, could I expect DC to warranty it, probably not. Same thing here, If ya play-ya pay.
The title of your post makes it sound like you believe the locker is an inferior product. The Detroit locker has been around longer than you have and has prooven itself over and over. Sure they fail sometimes, what doesnt. Remember, the shaft went before the Detroit. The Detroit breakage was collateral. Do you really expect TT to honor a warranty when another part caused the Detroit to fail. That would be a tough one to get by any manufacturer.

BrettM said:
you are a moron. if you break an axle DON'T DRIVE ON IT! you say you have a 60 rear, so I assume that would be the full-floater version, PULL THE SHAFT OUT IMMEDIATELY.

if i wouldn't warranty something abused by the customer, and by abuse I don't mean wheelin it hard, I mean driving with a broken shaft.

no i said i will be stepping up to a 60 .it is a Chrysler 8.25 i thought i said that early so if i didn't sorry. as for the tard response.i was getting a bit annoyed that people are jumping on me for what i think of a product .and yes i would expect them to warranty it like i said i did nothing to it that i wouldn't expect any other locker or diff to take.the axle snapped i know it snapped and i limped it to the trailer never driving above 5 miles an hour.had no other choice.

Last edited:
yeah i agree that its crappy.. Its bad enough ya gotta change the shaft, but then the locker is shot.. at least with a lock-rite the locker is still operational...

i'd be mad.. i had thought about buying a detroit, but ill pass now

regardless, you shouldn't be driving on a broken axle! (but with a full-floater you wouldn't need a spare shaft)

people are jumping on you because you posted this on a public forum so we have just as much right to tell you that you made a stupid move as you have the right to tell us you think they should cover it anyway.

"I bought some Hella lights that say they're for offroad use, but when I rolled it broke them. It's within the warranty period but they won't replace them" :rattle:

if it was a 60 i would have a spare to fix it right there because they are easy to fix on the trail .even if i pulled the shaft it would have caused the same thing.i'm not new to 4 wheeling.i have owned plenty of trucks and have run them before .i have never run into this problem with them either .this is the first i heard of this problem as well .but after looking at several things online and talking to several places ,and having it happen to me now i am dissapointed about them.

it was a clean snap and there was nothing i could do but drive on it .i also don't appreciate the moron comment either.

the break was about 6 inches out of the locker
348DSCF00021-med.JPG

348P3210949-med.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Detroit locker and there problems

BrettM said:
"I bought some Hella lights that say they're for offroad use, but when I rolled it broke them. It's within the warranty period but they won't replace them" :rattle:

if i rolled my truck over a set of lights i would expect them to warranty it nor would i be asking them to.

this is a different subject.as for you having you own responces is fine but there is no need for calling somebody a moron over it or an idiot .i had to get it off the trail and back home to get it fixed .you have the helicopter to pick it and take it there .i don't leave my heep on the trail when i think there should be no reason to.

Last edited:
Re: Detroit and their problems

there i changed the title as to not offend anybody happy now.

ok maybe not

Last edited:
Re: Detroit and their problems

I wouldn't have left it on the trail either. but I would accept the consequences of my actions and not try to pass them off on the manufacturer or a part which broke as a result. it was your mistake for not having axles up to the task or having a spare axle.

if you are genuinely offended by the "moron" comment, I sincerely apologize. I figured I was keeping with the tone of the thread ("detroit SUCKS"). I do not know if you are a moron or not, but driving on a broken axle and not expecting consequences is moronic.

if i knew this was an issue with the locker i would have removed the rear driveshaft and limped even more with just front wheel drive but i have never heard of it nor did i expect it .i know what to expect and won't run one if i don't have to.i have no problem with people expressing their thoughts on what they would have done or what they think of the product .but yes i was offended by that comment it was uncalled for as far as i see it.i'm saying they suck only because i see no reason as to why it would have broke.

you say if it was a 60 you would have pulled the shaft if you look at the pics you'll see it was a clean break.if it was a spiral crack or an uneven break i would have done all i could do on the trail to fix .but it was clean .as i see it it would have been no different pulling the shaft and running it the way i did back to the trailer.

Not to throw fuel on the fire here, but rather to play Devil's Advocate for a minute:

Ray H said:
If my Jeep was brand new and I took it offroad and bounced it off a rock, busted an axle shaft which took out my carrier, could I expect DC to warranty it, probably not.

Depends on the circumstances under which it broke.

In the particular scenario outlined above, the real question is where to draw the lines of reasonable expectations. Yes, a Jeep is an off-road vehicle by definition (all model prejudices aside for the moment) - but, by the same token, it has its limits the same as any other vehicle.

Let's say you snapped that shaft on pavement pulling a trailer weighing 2000lbs. *less* than the vehicle's rated capacity and in accordance with the manufacturer's towing instructions. Should they replace it? Absolutely.

Now, the same shaft breaks crawling through a rock garden in 4LO - but still in accordance with manufacturers' specs. Yep, they should be held liable for the breakage, but you'll probably have a harder time convincing them to pay up.

OK, third scenario: you're in the mudpits next to the rock garden, still in 4LO, but the vehicle is overloaded with people and gear. The manufacturer's liability should be zero when you blow the axle, because you pushed it beyond what it was reasonably capable of.

Same thing here, If ya play-ya pay.

Fair point. Now, bearing the previous points regarding OEM liability and personal responsibility in mind, let's re-examine the issue. Remember that ultimately we are talking about an aftermarket part, but the expectation of the buyer (based on the vendor's claims) is that it should exceed the abilities of the stock item. To this end, we'll assume no user abuse of the aftermarket parts: they have been used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions for all intents and purposes.

Shaft snaps on a stock 8.25 axle with an OEM warranty. Does it take the carrier with it? No. Liability rests with the manufacturer to replace the shaft.

Shaft snaps on an 8.25 with a Detroit locker in it. It takes the Detroit out at the same time, which is still under warranty. Should the Detroit be replaced under warranty? My personal opinion is yes, because there was a reasonable expectation on behalf of the buyer that it would exceed stock performance. Should the aftermarket manufacturer be held responsible for the shaft? No, because they didn't manufacture it - they just engineered and marketed a product designed to be used in conjunction with it. The OEM would probably argue that the Detroit caused the breakage if a warranty claim were placed against the shaft, but that's a tangent that isn't really relevant to the broken locker.

In short: it's reasonable to assume that parts billed as performance parts will exceed manufacturer's specifications. If an OEM part wouldn't fail under the same circumstances, then the aftermarket part is probably not living up to its claims.

The title of your post makes it sound like you believe the locker is an inferior product.

Based on his *experiences*, he may very well believe that. This may or may not be reinforced by anecdotal (read: hearsay) evidence from others who have had similar problems.

The Detroit locker has been around longer than you have and has prooven itself over and over. Sure they fail sometimes, what doesnt.

A reasonable question to ask. However...

Remember, the shaft went before the Detroit. The Detroit breakage was collateral.

This is the crux of the matter - we *don't* know which died first. If the Detroit bit the big one first, it could've been responsible for the shaft's death (remember: Devil's Advocate here).

Do you really expect TT to honor a warranty when another part caused the Detroit to fail. That would be a tough one to get by any manufacturer.

Agreed on making a manufacturer pony up on a warranty claim - that's never fun, especially with automotive parts.

However, the issue is whether or not that part actually caused the part to fail - the part could've failed first, or been incapable of living up to its manufacturer's claims.

I will not make any judgements on what caused this particular situation - nobody involved in this thread knows absolutely, precisely what happened apart from the driver - but a lot of informed speculation can be made as to its causes. Ultimately, though, it's just that: speculation.

Stepping down from being the Devil's Advocate, my personal hope is that TrueTrac warranties the locker and the shaft is replaced out-of-pocket. If they feel that it's up to a year of off-road use and abuse and it fails before then because of component failure that wouldn't hurt a lesser unit, they should probably redesign their product.

The real issue here is where the boundaries of both OEM and aftermarket parts lie in terms of expected performance. In either case, though, should inadequate guidelines be laid down by the manufacturers as relates to their use, it seems unreasonable to expect the purchaser to be penalised for the manufacturer's inability to inform.

Last edited:
i know i have to pay to play and thats part of 4 wheeling .i know this and have no problem with this fact i have done it many times .i never put undo stress on the rear after i heard the axle snap.i never thought that running one shaft in the condition it was in would break the locker but it did .i replaced the shaft and the locker no longer worked on the side that originally broke.i don't want to split the locker open to look at the clutches and have the manufacture tell me they won't warranty it because of this .i'm still waiting on the phone call from the people i ordered it from for the return number.once i get that i will be sending it to them if they replace it great if they don't i won't buy another one.

like i said i only posted this thread to warn others that if they break a shaft to expect the worst .i would have never expected this from a detroit they taught their lockers to be the best but from what i have experienced it seems they aren't what they say.i don't post when i don't know what i'm talking about or if i assume something .i'm running on fact here. i have wheeled for close to 15 years and have beat on parts for most of them .coming to Utah has opened my eyes to new types of terrain and i have been taking it pretty easy since being here.if i thought i pushed the locker past what it was intended i would have no problem paying to have it replaced.but as far as i'm concerned i didn't and it shouldn't have failed the way it did.all i'm asking is that they replace it.if they don't want to they don't want to and all that will do is reinforce my thoughts that they are inferior and i will no longer purchase them for my trucks.

can this thread end now or doesn it have to keep go on like this .

Back