• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Tech

Pictures are up!

Please excuse the typos. :dunce:

http://www.kermantel.net/chuckd/midevilturdy/

photo3.jpg

Nice thread Crash....you've got entirely to much time on your hands, though.

Seriously, keep up the tech. There's not near enough of it on NAXJA lately.

This thread is good timing, as I just finished trussing my Dana 30. As some of you know, I'm on my third housing in about 5 years. Check this thing out...it's now a fully polished Dana Turdy :) Truss is 3x5" 3/16 wall box cut open and welded to the tube and to the cradle going over the pumpkin. We'll see how long this one lasts.
304408393EOjVcz_ph.jpg

304408617PsOqeu_ph.jpg

I know, I shouldda taken pics while it was out from under the jeep, but I had to get it back together for wheelin' this weekend.

Thanks, Led for the housing!

Rck

Yes Led you can, but don't run it with a Dana 44 rear with alloy shafts. The beefyness of the Dana 30 will cause the Dana 44 alloy shafts to twist the spines. Umm, to everyone else 37s on a 30 is NOT recomended :)

More on the Dana Turdy disconnect axle. Judging by the popping and cracking when I welded mild steel to the passenger side UCA its more of that crappy cast iron that Dana uses.

If you run a dana turdy disco axle consider it mandatory to carry a long 3/16ths rod to knock out that disco shaft stub from the other side. And a magnet to fish out any small chunks left over from the shaft breaking. The shafts normally break nice and clean though. Just to clarify when this shaft breaks you need to remove both unit bearings and axle assemblys knock out the stub and reassemble. This takes about the same amount of time as replacing a typical dana 44 broken u-joint/shafts.

I still am sticking with this axle cause I am too lazy to get out and twist those hub thingys. I have broken two intermediate axles the first one put up with a decent amount of abuse on 31s, 33s, and 35s, then gave up with a wussy plink. The second lasted a couple of JV runs and most of BOTW. It broke while I was winching in a REALLY bad weggie that Hinkley :) got me into. The weggie bent my waggy steering purely by weggie force, no impact.

Heh-heh, heh-heh, wedgies forces are cool.

kid4lyf said:
You must spread some Rock Rash around before giving it to CRASH again.
Great job.
Mucho gracias.

This is for CRASH, I really wish I could have read this a month ago. I had my ujoint fall apart on the road home. So I pulled out the outer shafts and waited until my trip back to the states to pick up some new ujoints. I was told that the shafts still look fine (but I dont like the whole used condom idea) so I will pick up some shafts too. The part that worries me is that my car crapped out so I drove the xj around for two days without the shafts in. What do I need to check? How bad did I just mess things up? Thanks!

just wondering if anyone has seal problems on the d30?

XJ_ranger said:
(bearing cap measuring 1 3/16")

Yeeup.

x260 ujoints measure 1 1/16".

wescam said:

Like what kind? Ive never had one leak, if thats what your talking about.

As for deleting this disco, instead of having to buy or cut a peice of steel, all I did was take the stuff out of the vacuum housing, tap the hole and threadlock a plug in and put 'er back on. Works wonders, cheaper than the warn block off, and eaisier than making one.

wescam said:

I do. I can't get them to go in straight. I use a combination of all threaded rod, socket and washers but this setup doesn't allow good control and the seal doesn't go straight.
If I knew the tube diameter in the seal area with a good degree of precision,
I might be able to have a disc made that will control the seal better.
Any ideas by the experts will be appreciated.

BTW has anybody tried RTV to seal them better?

Capt. Nemo said:
TROLL :jester: :spam:

Joined 19 hours ago and has 20 posts??? Read his other ones. Great contribution to the forums...

Aye matey! I spot a troll off in the distance! Load ze cannons!!!1

Great write up Crash... this is a great example of why I became a member.

Brian T.

woody said:
Another soft spot on any D30 is the lower control arm brackets. These four thin sheet-metal bits hang way down in munchkin land. Depending on the gusto of the hit, maybe not a show-stopper, but for sure an attention-getter.

JKS sells weld-on 'mini-skids' that box the leading edge and offer some rigidity. If one were handy, they could do their own reinforcing.

Currie has these plates as well.And the control arm mounts are only welded on the out side.
Wayne

Back