• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cut Lower Rear Quarters...(pics and write-up)

xjj33p3r said:
Just decided to start doing this to my jeep, but would it be any easier to take the bumper off in order to cut? I don't have the plastic caps on the ends, but either way, gettinga 4 1/2" grinder in there seems a bit tough.
I didnt take the bumper off of my 89. I didnt have the end caps on either. Im not sure what I use, but it was either a sawzall or a grinder. Try different angles, youll get it in there somehow :greensmok

Thanks. I just started on it this morning, and I haven't got the nerve to continue on... but I guess I gotta suck it up and keep going. I guess I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Got one side done, and it looks like shit. Oh well, I guess I can cover it up with something later on. I just gotta finish up the passenger side, paint everything *if time allows* and post end shots.

My 1/4's are rusted to all hell and I was wondering if this would be a good candidate for this mod.Pics of the quarters included.

Passenger:

Driver:

freerider15 said:
SVI_00110.jpg

Awesome write up, I've really been wanting to do this to mine. quick question, though. it seems you cut the diagonal brace away from the outter shell, correct? when folding the outter shell up into the body, is there enough backing so that it will be a sharp and clean looking bend? what did you use to bend it over?

Once you get that piece of sheet metal off the back, it folds up pretty easily with a BFH. Remember, you have to cut inside of the wheel well as well to be able to fold it all up.

MarX said:
My 1/4's are rusted to all hell and I was wondering if this would be a good candidate for this mod.Pics of the quarters included.

Passenger:

Driver:

Sure, you have nothing too lose but the rust and you'll gain the increased ground clearance back there. I'm going back and forth about whether I want to do it or not. I have some black diamond plate for this area, but if you already rusted back there then go for it.

MarX said:

Passenger:

Driver:

Looks like it's your only choice, since they are already "gone". Mine were bad, but not that bad when I did mine, and I think that cutting off the rust and painting the rest helped to slow the rust. It looks like your bumper is already off (mine rusted off), so you should be able to get to it easy, I am not sure if you have to remove your fender flares to do this, but I would say you'd have to take them off too.

Yeah mine did too but I bought a replacement that doesn't wanna fit right so I'm gonna swap the new hardware to the old bumper. As for the 1/4's if it were my choice Would have fixed them long ago but I hadn't bought it yet so I couldn't. I may just cut from the lowest rustless point then put a new piece of sheet metal in and rivet/silicone it.

I worked on the rear quarter for a bit yesterday. it was a lot easier than i thought i was going to be. this thread was a big help. was originally going to pop rivet it in place, but i got lazy and welded it (wasn't sure about doing it with sheet metal). came out really well!

Wow.. if ur rear quarters look like that.. whats the rest of the jeep look like.. damn lol.. Btw, got in a tangle with a tree on the trail today.. rear quarter hack planed for next weekend lol, finally have a reason to do it now.

I did mine a couple of weeks ago because they were pretty smashed up. If you are thinking about doing this mod, I highly suggest doing it before the lower quarters get bashed. Mine didn't turn out too bad but they would look much nicer if I had started out with straight sheetmetal.

I started on this mod yesterday on my 99, and my Internals must be different or you the write-up left out a few things....

It had pieces attached from the Inside, plus on my driverside theres a "skid plate" type box attached to the frame rail and the Inner quarter panel...I got fed up, said F It and Just cut the whole thing out, no bending or anything, so now Its cut straight across, then I grinded the metal down smooth. Now I Just have to find a way to patch the openings on the bottoms with some sheet metal so crap dont get in there.

XJ99 said:
I started on this mod yesterday on my 99, and my Internals must be different or you the write-up left out a few things....

It had pieces attached from the Inside, plus on my driverside theres a "skid plate" type box attached to the frame rail and the Inner quarter panel...I got fed up, said F It and Just cut the whole thing out, no bending or anything, so now Its cut straight across, then I grinded the metal down smooth. Now I Just have to find a way to patch the openings on the bottoms with some sheet metal so crap dont get in there.

Hmmmm, interesting. I know the 99-01's were kinda different. If I had easy access to a welder and had the ability to use it, I would cut the whole thing flat, then reweld a peice of metal to the bottom, but then at the same time i'de probably re-do the fenderwells as well.

Until you get something across throw some expanding foam in there to keep mud and stuff out.

LilRedRover said:
Until you get something across throw some expanding foam in there to keep mud and stuff out.
Bad idea.
The foam will soak up water like a sponge and grow mold and also will eventually begin to oxidize the metal.

i was asked how to do this mod and i told my friend to serch but he could not find this thread, i think he lied to me, but here it is resurected for all to see

Back