• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom HP Dana 44

-79' Ford Bronco high pinion (reverse rotation) housing with axle tubes from a Wagoneer (3/8" thick instead of 1/4")

If it was reverse rotation, your front wheels would turn backwards when you stepped on the gas. Its reverse spiral, or reverse cut gears, they DO NOT rotate in the reverse direction.

Why didn't you just skip the hassle of retubing the '79 Bronco axle, and gotten a '77 or earlier? It would have saved you a lot of time, and it would have given you 1/2" thick axle tubes.

If it was reverse rotation, your front wheels would turn backwards when you stepped on the gas. Its reverse spiral, or reverse cut gears, they DO NOT rotate in the reverse direction.

I know they don't rotate in reverse, "rotation" was a typo. You know what i meant.

Why didn't you just skip the hassle of retubing the '79 Bronco axle, and gotten a '77 or earlier? It would have saved you a lot of time, and it would have given you 1/2" thick axle tubes.

I live on a Fricken island, lucky I got what i did. Anywho it's built save for the truss. Picky little bugger ain't cha'?! lol:peace:

I already have the knuckles. I got a deal on a pair of Reid Racing knuckles complete with the high steer arm. I am leaning towards using Wagoneer inner shafts, but now someone has mentioned using Super 30 inner axles?? WTF? Does anyone have any input on using Super 30 inners?

Here is where I got everything for my HP44 build. It gives dimensions of the different inner shafts. Fast shipping and great customer service. I will be installing mine next week and I will let you know how it turns out.

http://completeoffroad.com/

Last edited:
Picky little bugger ain't cha'?! lol:peace:
I guess you could say that.
Or I guess you could say I don't understand going the long way around doing a lot of work to get a decent thing, when you could start off with something stronger, with less hassle.
:peace:

I am leaning towards using Wagoneer inner shafts, but now someone has mentioned using Super 30 inner axles?? WTF? Does anyone have any input on using Super 30 inners?

Ya, don't. 30 stuff doesn't belong on a 44.

Last edited:
Ok, I think I might be coming full circle on this. After doing some research, it seems I can use the inner axles from a 1980 - 84 Jeep Wagoneer axle (pass side 15.8", driver side 32.12"). Now the problem is finding a good source for these inner axles. Checked Randy's and Ebay, but only found the passenger side. Can the Rubicon 44 inner axles work?

Phuc!!

Ok, I think I might be coming full circle on this. After doing some research, it seems I can use the inner axles from a 1980 - 84 Jeep Wagoneer axle (pass side 15.8", driver side 32.12"). Now the problem is finding a good source for these inner axles. Checked Randy's and Ebay, but only found the passenger side. Can the Rubicon 44 inner axles work?

Phuc!!

Yes Rubicon inners will work. I just finished getting mine together today. You will end up at 62" WMS to WMS since they are a little longer than the Waggy shafts. I wanted the extra length for brackets and was able to center the axle. Check with complete offroad for shafts, I posted the link to his site somwhere in this thread.

I have done a good bit of research on this. Seems there is no real consensus about which year inner shafts to use from the Wagoneer. I have a Ford F 100 HP Dana 44 sitting in the garage. It has the beefy 1/2" thick tubes. I am going to use the inner-C's from a later year Ford.

Now here comes the meat...I am going to build the axle around Rubicon inner axles. They are 30 spline and have great after-market support.

From what I read, it should work.

Input is appreciated.

Back