• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom HP Dana 44

No, forget the Dana 30 outer knuckles. I found a HP Dana 44 from a 1970's Ford F 150 with .5" tubes. I got the inner C's to go along with it. I am looking at going forward with narrowing it to the Wagoneer length. Now here is a question, do I have to go with those funky Wagoneer CV inner axles? Can I find after-market parts for this build up that are not the CV inner axles? What about the tube seals? I am going to read more on this, but asking to see what other people have done.

And yes, I am thinking about hydraulic-assist steering. As for tires, not too big (33-35), but more about the power I am putting behind them. Thinking about the LS-1 conversion or a stroker with a blower. Better to go stronger than not strong enough.

You dont need to run CV shafts. No one does.

Tube seals? Do you mean inner or outer? Outers people just use stock. Outers, I know Alloy USA sells some, but I dont think they are needed.

I guess I need to get with the guys at Randy's Ring & Pinion to see what inner axles are available for the Jeep Wagoneer. When I checked online, all I could see were those funky CV axles. I thought they did away with those things, but then if I am trying to replace a part on a vehicle that is over 25 years old, then I guess i am going to get some old technology. If anyone has input on this, feel free.

I guess I need to get with the guys at Randy's Ring & Pinion to see what inner axles are available for the Jeep Wagoneer. When I checked online, all I could see were those funky CV axles. I thought they did away with those things, but then if I am trying to replace a part on a vehicle that is over 25 years old, then I guess i am going to get some old technology. If anyone has input on this, feel free.

I don't know what you are really talking about with CV axles, I've never seen a Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer with CV axles. Maybe the last years that the GW were out, but not the older years.

You are searching for Grand Wagoneer shafts right, not the full size Wagoneer?

I was looking at the full-size wagoneer. As for CV axles, the ones I am talking about are the ones with the rubber boot covering the CV. Once you get a tear in the boot, then the CV's replacement is not far behind.

I know what a CV shaft is.

If you are narrowing your axle to "waggy" width, you want to narrow it to Grand Wagoneer width, as it was the closest to the XJ width. Most of the full size Wagoneers were passenger drop anyways, at least the older ones were, for which I am more familiar with.

A second thing, I googled wagoneer CV shaft, and it came up with stuff, but I have never seen a waggy with CV shafts, only u-joints. I know the '74 wagoneer D44 front axle I have laying under my deck was u-joint, some people I know who have waggy 44's or use the waggy shafts in their narrowed 44's all have u-joints. I even went onto IFSJA.com and searched for CV shafts over there, and didn't come up with anything.

What wagoneers came with CV shafts?

Well, I did a search on Ebay just to see how much I would be looking at and to give me an idea about them. There and 4WD hardware online. But then again, what you see online might not always be what the item actually looks like. Thanks for the info on the Grand Wagoneer. It is interesting, I have spoken with several axle shops and they never mentioned the wagoneer inner axle as an option. They all are saying custom.

Thanks again.

KJ

Those look to be CV shafts for a Grand Cherokee.

The thing is, those stub shafts aren't what you find in a D44. See how the middle is spline, and then there is the threaded area? Well on a D44, it uses a spindle, Therefore it has a long smooth area, then it is splined at the end where it mates with the hub body.

These are alloy stub shafts made from the dimensions of a '74 wagoneer.
DSC_2458.jpg

Last edited:
The CV axles seem to be used in the mid '80s (ie. 82, 83,84).
Where are you finding this info? I bought 80-84 waggy axles for my 44, and they defiantly dont have cv shafts. I have a feeling youre getting some wrong info somewhere.

when i went to your write up all of the pictures say that you have exceeded your bandwidth and are not vissable. can you fix this please :compwork:

Thanks
Pete
Sorry, apparently you guys look at to many pictures. I exceeded my bandwidth for this month. They should be back up on the 27th.

Those are beautiful shafts. Not custom, correct? Where did you get them?
Assuming your talking to me, they are for a 80-84 Jeep Wagoneer. I bought some Alloy USA inners and Warn outers from a guy named Machinewave on Pirate 4x4.

Where did you find your information about the cv shafts?

That's exactly what I was thinking.
Billy
Ya, the outer part of that CV shaft definitely goes into a unit bearing.

KJurasek, I'm pretty sure you are finding CV shafts for a "Grand Wagoneer" edition ZJ that was available in '93. This DID use CV shafts. I also did find a place selling CV shafts for this Grand Wagoneer ZJ and the picture was identical to one of the ones you posted.

The Grand Wagoneer.
1993-Jeep-Grand-Wagoneer-Front.jpg

Those are beautiful shafts. Not custom, correct? Where did you get them?
If you were talking to me.
They are both chromoly shafts, with the outer stub shafts being Moser shafts with '74 wagoneer dimensions, and the inners are custom length shafts from Alloy USA before they switched management. Its only $50 per shaft for custom length, not a huge deal.

Yeah, not too big of a deal. The only thing is I am trying to buy "off-the-shelf" axles. I know I can get custom ones made, but then this presents a problem. If I break an axle, then the vehicle is down waiting for the custom shafts. Then, if the person I had build them goes under and I have to find someone else, then there is no guarantee that person is going to build them to the right length or other. Or if I pass the vehicle on and they break a shaft, then they are going to have the headache of finding the right axle to fit.

I was thinking about passing this build on to my nephew once he is old enough to appreciate it. I have given my sister other vehicles I have had, and once she came across something she could not figure out, she sold it at a fraction of what it was worth. She should have called me first.

Oh well, maybe I am worrying about this more than I should.

As for where I am finding my info, well Ebay, because they have pictures. I will try Randy's Ring & Pinion.

Thanks again.

KJ

Here's how mine turned out:

Dana 44:
30 5/16", 17 15/16"
– Measured from center of u-joint to WMS
-Spline count: Inner shafts 30, Outer 19
-Yukon 5.14 gears
-Full spool suitable for 4.88 and above gearing. The carrier split for Dana 44 HP axles are 4.56 and numerically lower and 4.88 and numerically higher - (can't remember the brand but it was brand new from a company in the states)
-79' Ford Bronco high pinion (reverse rotation) housing with axle tubes from a Wagoneer (3/8" thick instead of 1/4")
-Stock 79' ford knuckles, spindles, rotors, calipers, ball joints, wheel bearings etc.
-Stock ford manual hubs -went this route instead of warn because when warn hubs break they stay open, when ford hubs break they remain locked enabling you to get off the trail in 4x4.

All brackets are on and welded up.
Currently getting quotes on custom shafts, for the D44 inners and outers and Ford 9" shafts using 4340 Dutchman or Moser (within $20 of each other) are basically a G' note.
Can take some pics if interested. -B

Back