• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Curved or straight light bar?

I was serious about the staties.

Ashland post has been pulling over big dumb trucks with annoying lighbars.

I think I might just go and get the el-cheapo square lights that are meant for tractors. Or just hold out for some KCs?

I think I might just go and get the el-cheapo square lights that are meant for tractors. Or just hold out for some KCs?

or you could just upgrade your headlamps, have way more function for less money and not be an asshole with tractor work lights spewing glare all over oncoming traffic.

but hey, why actually take suggestions from the people your asking for advice?

or you could just upgrade your headlamps, have way more function for less money and not be an asshole with tractor work lights spewing glare all over oncoming traffic.

but hey, why actually take suggestions from the people your asking for advice?

I was asking about a light bar not upgrading my headlights. So you haven't given me a single bit of advice in the first place.

Actually he did. Look at post #17. He gave you a solution to what you wanted to accomplish...more light in the predawn time when you are driving to school.

Light bars are not a replacement for good working headlights and if they aren't rated for highway use, or aren't properly positioned or aimed, they can be a danger to oncoming traffic.

I understand that you are trying to do what you can on the cheap. Most of the XJ owners on here are, but sometimes the cheapest option isn't the best option. Likewise, sometimes what you WANT to do is not what you SHOULD do. You've asked for an opinion on a light bar and people have responded that a headlight upgrade is a better option for your application.

By in large, building a Jeep is a project that largely is based around personal preferences. However, you'd be wise to step back an consider rational responses from people with real world experience for the topic at hand. If you are looking for unanimous support to justify your desire, you aren't going to get it.

I use my headlights more than I use my light bar. I cannot out drive my headlights since they have been upgraded. All that leads to the obvious decision to buy some cheap led pods.

Actually he did. Look at post #17. He gave you a solution to what you wanted to accomplish...more light in the predawn time when you are driving to school.

Light bars are not a replacement for good working headlights and if they aren't rated for highway use, or aren't properly positioned or aimed, they can be a danger to oncoming traffic.

I understand that you are trying to do what you can on the cheap. Most of the XJ owners on here are, but sometimes the cheapest option isn't the best option. Likewise, sometimes what you WANT to do is not what you SHOULD do. You've asked for an opinion on a light bar and people have responded that a headlight upgrade is a better option for your application.

By in large, building a Jeep is a project that largely is based around personal preferences. However, you'd be wise to step back an consider rational responses from people with real world experience for the topic at hand. If you are looking for unanimous support to justify your desire, you aren't going to get it.

upgrading headlamps is probably going to be cheaper than 40" lightbar and mounts anyway.

are the E-codes in my junk DOT legal? No.
Are they properly aimed and don't cause blindness to oncoming traffic? yes.

I got no problems running non DOT stuff, but don't be dumb, and running down the road with a 40" china lightbar on your roof is dumb.

If you desperately want LEDs as your primary lights then pony up the money for some LED headlamp replacements.

otherwise
http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Rectang...pebp=1441549596912&perid=1XDHJCN1TPM4G2HW0JP7
those

you won't out drive them at any sane speed in an XJ.
don't forget the putco harness.
http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Premium-Automotive-Lighting/dp/B001P29X4G

do not attempt to run 100w bulbs on the stock wiring.

There you go, $150 and your lighting problem is solved and you won't be a douchebag blinding oncoming traffic. it's not as glamorous as a big LED lightbar, but it's much more practical.

upgrading headlamps is probably going to be cheaper than 40" lightbar and mounts anyway.

are the E-codes in my junk DOT legal? No.

Are they properly aimed and don't cause blindness to oncoming traffic? yes.

I got no problems running non DOT stuff, but don't be dumb, and running down the road with a 40" china lightbar on your roof is dumb.

If you desperately want LEDs as your primary lights then pony up the money for some LED headlamp replacements.

otherwise

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Rectang...pebp=1441549596912&perid=1XDHJCN1TPM4G2HW0JP7

those

you won't out drive them at any sane speed in an XJ.

don't forget the putco harness.

http://www.amazon.com/Putco-230004HW-Premium-Automotive-Lighting/dp/B001P29X4G

do not attempt to run 100w bulbs on the stock wiring.

There you go, $150 and your lighting problem is solved and you won't be a douchebag blinding oncoming traffic. it's not as glamorous as a big LED lightbar, but it's much more practical.

Thanks for the advice. Even if I do end up with I light bar, I'd shut it off when I see on coming traffic just like you'd do with high beams... But idk yet. Might upgrade my rig (performance wise- air filter exhaust. Etc..)

Your headlights would be a lot brighter at night if you didn't have a quarter of it covered with paint or tape or whatever you used to make those "angry eyes."

that, plus an upgraded headlight wiring harness, even if he keeps the stock sealed beams, can make a huge difference.

Thanks for the advice. Even if I do end up with I light bar, I'd shut it off when I see on coming traffic just like you'd do with high beams... But idk yet. Might upgrade my rig (performance wise- air filter exhaust. Etc..)

And if the oncoming traffic includes a cop, you'll be removing that light bar for the fix it ticket.

So using a light bar is illegal now? I'm not gonna use it in town. Just on the back roads where I drive about 10 miles and rarely pass another vehicle

A Lot of states have laws that lights over a certain height must be covered on the highway. NO LED light bar is legal for highway use. The only mfg that has any DOT approved LED bars is Rigid and that is only their smaller stuff.

A Lot of states have laws that lights over a certain height must be covered on the highway. NO LED light bar is legal for highway use. The only mfg that has any DOT approved LED bars is Rigid and that is only their smaller stuff.

This.

So using a light bar is illegal now? I'm not gonna use it in town. Just on the back roads where I drive about 10 miles and rarely pass another vehicle

yes. if a officer sees the light bar turned on on any public road, you will likely get a ticket.

e codes and a upgraded harness was an awesome mod for me. I got the 55/100 bulbs so my brights were very bright and I didn't get anymore unnecessary attention

and please PLEASE ditch the lights! the look awful and cover half your lighting, which could solve your issue right off the bat.

Back