• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy Mod!!!!

olympicgold

NAXJA Forum User
a friend just added an early 90's red top Ford Bronco injector to his stock '96 XJ 4.0 engine and discovered some VERY impressive results.
He basically hooked up a line to the shrader valve on his fuel rail and just clamped the hose to the top of the injector. The injector was placed on the elbow of the intake just above the throttle body.
The power to the injector was supplied from the cigerette lighter to a switch which is turned on at WOT.....I swear it feels like a 50 shot of N20!!!!!. I just dont see the reasoning behind this and as much as I tried arguing with him that this couldnt work without additional airflow the results well......just proved me wrong!!! He tried both on and off road with the 4wd lo and hi engaged and the results were always the same. With the injector turned off the XJ just felt like it normally would and as soon as he would flip the switch I swear my ass dyno felt a 50 shot,the rpms would climb at an extremely accelerated rate not only that but his tires would light up on the street.
I personally have a turbocharged XJ and have been and have seen MANY N2O xj's and I swear this thing HAULS @SS!!!! I mean for being completly stock except for the addition of this injector.
The reason I'm posting this is because I'm looking for answers!!! Mainly WHY does this work? Usually the addition of a chip or even the use of a hypertech actually LEANS out the mixture at WOT and here is this guy adding MORE fuel and getting crazy @ss results!!! When I was tuning my first rig (turbo TJ) I remember getting poor results from rich conditions because of larger (39.lb)injectors but as I leaned out the mixture(stoich 14.7) I received improved acceleration and as I leaned out my WOT under boost from 10's to 12:1 I also experienced improved acceleration!!! I dont understand why the addition of this injector is such an improvement!!!
Right now my only reasoning is that somehow the stock fuel curve is made to increase fuel flow at a slow rate even though the TB butterfly is wideopen or that there is some sort of delay built in to keep the "average" citizen from burning out at every stop sign or to keep his vehicle under control easier. This guy has NO N2O and is a really close friend and I know perfectly well that he doesnt have anything hidden in his engine.
He actually discovered this while working on his engine!! I think his engine had a bad miss and one day he was pouring some fuel down his TB while accelerating to see if his problem was fuel related and sure enough he discovered increased throttle response with the addition of fuel. He rigged up a small inverted bottle with a small hose and fuel inside to his intake tract and just let the increased vacume of the engine siphon the fuel out and noticed a small increase in acceleration so thats how his idea about the additional injector came about.......he actually swears he needs a larger injector!!!! I will try to take some pics of his setup as soon as I get a chance he kind of caught me off gaurd today after work and I didnt have a cam to take any pics. So what do you guys think??? I dont post much but just thought you guys would be interested in something like this, I'm definately very exited right now!! One of the most simple and effective mods I have EVER seen!!

JeepFreak21 said:
1st.

Lets see some pics/video.
Billy

X2

maybe a dyno run or 2, maybe with and without this magic injector?

Dingo

Impossible. I'd put money on it that in a dyno run you'd see zero gains as it's simply not possible that it would do anything whatsoever. The schrader valve will not allow any fuel to pass unless it's physically depressed. Even hooking a hose to it and applying vacuum will not release a drop of fuel. The only scenario where it would is if it were defective in which case it would have been spraying fuel out everywhere before he did this.

My guess is that as the "magic injector" is opening it's first flooding the engine then dropping the fuel pressure in the rail drastically, actually leaning out the whole mixture. Now I have just a few innocent questions.

1. What's the engine temp after extended use of this "Magic Injector"?
2. What's the fuel pressure before and during use of this injector?
3. What color is the exhaust manifold after extended use?
4. Have any AFR readings?
5. What do the plugs look like after a run?

And now to you, olympicgold

You say you have a Turbo XJ and have had a Turbo TJ before that.

1. What kit did you use on both Jeeps?
2. If you did not use a kit then what manifold did you use?
3. What turbo?
4. How did you deal with the increased temperature under the hood of the XJ?
5. Where did you mount the Turbo's on both vehicles?
6. What system did you use for the additional fuel required under boost?

And most important..

WHERE'S THE PICS?

like i said just a few innocent questions.

Dingo

first AJsAmor you ever think of just removing the vavle core like you would a tire,its possible.

Dingo509 you need to read again what he said.he had a turbo TJ and has a super charged XJ.

i would also like to see a picture of this set up .the reason it might work out for him is he clogged injectors or something that is not allowing the full ammount of gas into the injectors.his addition of this injector might be making up for this fact.

Chill dingo. If you want pics of his setups, look on JU. He's not a troll....more of a pioneer.

Wil Badger said:
Dingo509 you need to read again what he said.he had a turbo TJ and has a super charged XJ.

NO, Read again, Turbo TJ, and Turbo XJ.

Michael

damn i was wrong .goes to show you shouldn't read and post while still scratching your eye after waking up.heheh

ya i'm at a loss of where i even got supercharger
sorry

DeftwillP said:
Chill dingo. If you want pics of his setups, look on JU. He's not a troll....more of a pioneer.

Where? i've been watching JU for a while and have never come acrossed pics of anything turboed, nor can I find them now. I'm all for a pioneer for engine mods, but somebody that can tune there own turbo setup and log results by the difference in AF readings should understand the importance of a proper mixture and should have an idea of what would cause it.

You have to admit anybody that starts a post like this with the CRAZY!!!!!!!! parts thrown in is just asking for trouble.

Dingo

AJsArmor said:
True he could remove the valve stem but there was no mention of that. The thing has gotta be running super rich if he's actually doing this.

This is how my Nitrous setup functions. I have a hose for the fuel solenoid that connects right to the shrader valve (with the stem removed). Granted, this is on a Dodge, but it's still a Mopar and the shrader valve is the same on most every vehicle in what it does.. This was before I cleaned up the install, but if you look on the right, the hose with the red fittings on the end is the fuel line coming off the shrader valve and going right into the fuel solenoid. It then goes to the shark valve injector:

SV400008.sized.jpg

i'm skeptic too but before you do any bashing, look around a little. Here is a post with what i beleive are pics of his xj little odd looking, but it does have a turbo, so i don't think he is lying now on to the real issue of weather this mod actually works. Who's first to try???

o yea here is the link to his pics

bj-666 said:
i'm skeptic too but before you do any bashing, look around a little. Here is a post with what i beleive are pics of his xj little odd looking, but it does have a turbo, so i don't think he is lying now on to the real issue of weather this mod actually works. Who's first to try???

o yea here is the link to his pics

I was wrong. And I appologize. Nice work on the Turbo XJ.
And after reading my own post i did sound a bit like an ass. I wasn't really trying to, okay maybe a little but i was also somewhat curious.

Like i said though, it seems odd that someone that can do that kind of work and can tune a vehicle like that would make claims that a 7th injector works as good as N2O.

Dingo

Oops sorry didnt mean to cause any trouble : (

Anyways I'm just as baffled as you guys and dont understand the logic behind this.... I just got home from work and I was able to find my friend at his shop so I took some pics and vids : )
Unfortunately I have dialup upload speeds so the vids will be uploaded slowly during the week but here are some pics to start off with:

lim1.jpg

just a sample of the rest since last time my bandwidth was killed from the turbo pic post!! This is as budget as it gets guys!!(read: GHETTO)
http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/MorBeonDeath/lim2.jpg
http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/MorBeonDeath/lim3.jpg
http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/MorBeonDeath/lim4.jpg
http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/MorBeonDeath/lim5.jpg
http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/MorBeonDeath/lim6.jpg
http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/MorBeonDeath/lim7.jpg
http://www.yesalbum.com/v001/MorBeonDeath/lim8.jpg

I've been so busy at work I havent had time to work much on my XJ,I actually almost lost interest but have since gotten a few projects going.I purchased an M38A1 jeep for restoration, extended kawasaki mule with Honda magna 750CC engine,another XJ 1990 and have partially finished a mini drag truck. As you can see aside from my job I've been real busy but I did manage to get these for the xj:
sr1.jpg

also running pure xylene with about 5oz B&M trickshift ATF per gallon
xylene.jpg

I'll try to post one of his vids tonight

Interesting post. I wonder if this can be duplicated on another similar vehicle. That would help to rule out any sort of issues with the original vehicle. Keep us posted.

Back