• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple Questions. Tune up and Elec Fan on 2000 XJ

NHxj4x4

NAXJA Member #1132
Guys,

My buddy has 77k on his 2000 XJ 4.0 and we would like to do a tune up to it, he's quite due. Question is NO ONE lists some of the common parts that I would associate with a tune up. I can find EVERYTHING for a 99, but for the 2000 all I can find is spark plugs....No cap, no rotor, no wires...WTF? Was there some big ignition change in 2000 that I don't know about? I'm used to my 97 Stroker, I haven't done much to a 2000 before. Any thoughts on this would be great

2nd is his Elec fan is running almost constantly. I ranto Autozone to get a CTS for the Thermostat Housing, but they didn't list one for the 2000. So again, what controls the electric fan on a 2000?

Thanks Guys,

Todd

Plugs, oil and filter, air filter, flush coolent, change diff, transfer and tranny fluid, tranny filter, flush and bleed brake fluid. That would be a good start and keep you busy for a little while.

I have a 2000 and yes, there are coil packs that sit on the plugs themselves. One coil pack for two plugs. BTW, you can change the plugs without disconnecting the coil pack rail from the electrical connection on the back. It's a PITA to get to but you can unbolt the rail, pull of the plugs (do each boot by hand, don't just grab the whole rail and pull, could break it) and then twist it up and out of the way to get to the plugs. I think I got the front two from under the rail and the back 4 from over the rail. It will make sense once you see it.

Good luck.

xj_mike said:
Plugs, oil and filter, air filter, flush coolent, change diff, transfer and tranny fluid, tranny filter, flush and bleed brake fluid. That would be a good start and keep you busy for a little while.

I have a 2000 and yes, there are coil packs that sit on the plugs themselves. One coil pack for two plugs. BTW, you can change the plugs without disconnecting the coil pack rail from the electrical connection on the back. It's a PITA to get to but you can unbolt the rail, pull of the plugs (do each boot by hand, don't just grab the whole rail and pull, could break it) and then twist it up and out of the way to get to the plugs. I think I got the front two from under the rail and the back 4 from over the rail. It will make sense once you see it.

Good luck.

Cool, so the coil packs are not a tune item from what I can tell. What about the spark wires? Do they exsist?

Ive got a 00 too, there is nothing to the tune except spark plugs. No spark plug wires to worry about either.

(good idea to replace the plugs with the OE type, I stupidly used non-OE bosch plugs that were slighty taller than the originals, caused the coil packs to stand off slightly higher than normal.)

the coil pack wiring harness at the rear is so frigging hard to unplug, I gave up and left it connected too.
Once the coil pack is off, just push the packs upward out of the way.
Go over and under the packs as needed with an extension and wobble joint.

(Spark plug number 1 has interference from the upper radiator hose, just bend the hose up out of the way while you get the socket on.)

92DripCherokee said:
Ive got a 00 too, there is nothing to the tune except spark plugs. No spark plug wires to worry about either.

(good idea to replace the plugs with the OE type, I stupidly used non-OE bosch plugs that were slighty taller than the originals, caused the coil packs to stand off slightly higher than normal.)

Sounds familiar... I've done the plugs twice on my '00 so far. Funny that you note the bad FIT of the Bosches. I didn't notice that myself. All I noticed was that the Jeep never did quite RUN right with the plats. I hear that ALL THE TIME on this forum... but I've always have good luck with the Bosch plats in other cars. Went back to cheesy cheap-a$$ Champions... and she runs like a, er, Champ!

Den

My 00 gets 21 mpg with Bosch +2's. No problems so far.

My 92 has +4's and runs perfect when the engine is ice cold, with the last set of Champion plugs it hesitated terrribly when cold, and one of them cracked a center electrode insulator at 2200 miles. Everyone has different experiences.

Back to topic, tune-up is an obsolete term. It's just "replug" nowadays.

xj_mike said:
I have a 2000 and yes, there are coil packs that sit on the plugs themselves. One coil pack for two plugs.

Are you sure? I've had both a 2000 and a 2001, and neither one had one coil pack per two plugs (like on some GM vehicles I've seen) - it was one long rail with all three coil packs in a single unit. Same result overall, but without individual packs.

BTW, you can change the plugs without disconnecting the coil pack rail from the electrical connection on the back. It's a PITA to get to but you can unbolt the rail, pull of the plugs (do each boot by hand, don't just grab the whole rail and pull, could break it) and then twist it up and out of the way to get to the plugs. I think I got the front two from under the rail and the back 4 from over the rail. It will make sense once you see it.

And be prepared for the joy that is getting the coil rail back on over the rearmost couple of plugs...

Also, I'll stand by everyone's recommendations to stay with the OEM NGKs. I've tried Bosch Platinum +2s, Champion truck plugs, and one other set I'm not remembering. All of them ran poorly (at least in terms of fuel economy) compared to the NGKs they replaced.

casm - basically we are saying the same thing. Yes, there are 3 coil packs on one rail, each coil pack works two plugs so one coil pack for two plugs. 3 coils x 2 plugs per coil = 6 plugs.

I agree on getting the rail back on but it's doable. I think easier then getting the wire plug off the back of the rail. :D

xj_mike said:
casm - basically we are saying the same thing. Yes, there are 3 coil packs on one rail, each coil pack works two plugs so one coil pack for two plugs. 3 coils x 2 plugs per coil = 6 plugs.

OK, gotcha. For a second there I was all excited that they'd redesigned the thing in such a way as to make getting at the rearmost spark plugs a lot easier... Damn :D

I agree on getting the rail back on but it's doable. I think easier then getting the wire plug off the back of the rail. :D

I made that mistake the first time I did the plugs on the '01. Didn't repeat it on the 2000 :)

Back