• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Corral Canyon May 20

Good times guys. Next time let's get an earlier start so we'll have time for the knucklehead with steering issues! Didn't get any pics since I was too busy making 4 point turns!

Good times guys. Next time let's get an earlier start so we'll have time for the knuckleheads with steering issues!
FIFY!

btw Art, something i remember reading.... the wj knuckles have different geometry which i think requires a longer pitman arm if you want the same turning radius. i seem to remember the waggy pitman and wj pitman is longer.

the box has nothing to do with the throw of the pitman arm. the wj knuckles are longer in relation to the drag link mount to the center of the knuckle's rotation on the ball joints, so you need a longer pitman arm to get the throw you need, as far as i understand from what little i read on it. the WJ pitman arm is supposed to be longer than the xj arm.
As for the stops in the durango box, it seemed like he got the full 3.4 or 3.5 rotations, whatever it is. he double checked that.

the box has nothing to do with the throw of the pitman arm. the wj knuckles are longer in relation to the drag link mount to the center of the knuckle's rotation on the ball joints, so you need a longer pitman arm to get the throw you need, as far as i understand from what little i read on it. the WJ pitman arm is supposed to be longer than the xj arm.
As for the stops in the durango box, it seemed like he got the full 3.4 or 3.5 rotations, whatever it is. he double checked that.

Well Sean should chime in here.. He has the WJ set up.

Anyways... blah blah blah...

Where's the PICS!!!!!

so i pulled the diff cover off, passenger wheel spins freely without so much as making a sound or disturbing the locker or carrier. it appears the shaft is broken. if that is the case, a big thumbs up to the riddler diff cover for probably keeping the ring gear from deflecting and leaving it in one piece instead of the shaft.

I made sure the Durango box had the right number of turns (3.4) before I installed it. Same number of turns as the stock box so the pitman length shouldn't matter when comparing to the old setup.
Also, I don't have WJ knuckles...I do have the Tera Hi Steer knuckle and I guess it looks similar.
Steering was fine at Calico, although the steering wheel was knocked off center by about 40deg or so and I didn't readjust so that may have been the issue for not getting a full left turn. I haven't wheeled much since the Durango box/WJ pump swap, so jury is still out if it was worth it.

so i pulled the diff cover off, passenger wheel spins freely without so much as making a sound or disturbing the locker or carrier. it appears the shaft is broken. if that is the case, a big thumbs up to the riddler diff cover for probably keeping the ring gear from deflecting and leaving it in one piece instead of the shaft.

You won't know, until you pull the cover, gotta get the chunks out.

i did pull the cover, which is how i knew the locker or carrier wasnt moving :read: :D

I made sure the Durango box had the right number of turns (3.4) before I installed it. Same number of turns as the stock box so the pitman length shouldn't matter when comparing to the old setup.
Also, I don't have WJ knuckles...I do have the Tera Hi Steer knuckle and I guess it looks similar.
Steering was fine at Calico, although the steering wheel was knocked off center by about 40deg or so and I didn't readjust so that may have been the issue for not getting a full left turn. I haven't wheeled much since the Durango box/WJ pump swap, so jury is still out if it was worth it.
gotcha! thought it was a wj knuckle....

Back