• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling fan fit issue

so I got my shroud...and i put it in the tab mounts on the bottom half...mount the top two screws to the top brackets and obviously, since the radiator is mounted towards the grill, the top half is of the shroud sits like two inches away from the radiator making the shroud useless and the bottom half sits right up to it....is there something painfully obvious that I'm missing? The only way i see getting the top to mount flush is to cut away some of the top bracket with the hood latch but then theres nothing to mount to.

The radiator on mine is maybe half or three quarters of an inch forward from the the rear edge of the crossmember. Some pictures of your Jeep would helpful. It sounds like something else is wrong here.

The radiator on mine is maybe half or three quarters of an inch forward from the the rear edge of the crossmember. Some pictures of your Jeep would helpful. It sounds like something else is wrong here.

I know. Cardinal rule: get pics. But it was getting dark aaaannd the cowboys were coming on. Lol. I'll try to get pics Friday if not tomorrow afternoon. I almost think the top bracket isn't correct. I noticed months ago that the cut out for the filler neck of the radiator had been "modified" to be larger and that always struck me as weird. It's definitely more than an inch off from the back.

zavegyja.jpg

Ok this is the only day picture I could get because of my schedule. It shows what the top bracket looks like.
The rest are at dusk in a rain storm. But even in perfect light these are hard pics to get because it's so cluttered.
be2apy8y.jpg

This one shows that it's about 3 inches from the bracket edge to the radiator
eranasyq.jpg

This one shows the angle of the shroud (roughly). If you look through the hole and past the rad hose, it's the brightest part angle up and left. Obviously you can see the hose clamp on the right side and that gives you an idea of the distance between the top of the shroud and the top of the radiator.
susenaza.jpg

And this ones not really any good. You see the white hose clip on the left for the reservoir hose. That's the mounting point or the shroud. Look through the hole and get an idea of the size of the gap to the radiator.

Looks like the PO moved your radiator forward. Not a great pic, but note the stock location of the aux fan and radiator cap, compared to yours which are tucked under/into the crossmember.

Image018.jpg

You can also see the holes he drilled in order to move it forward, compared to where it was originally mounted. You'll probably find more holes in the lower crossmember, as the stock setup is 2 pins on the rad that slide into 2 rubber grommets in the lower member.

Last edited:
Yeah, does look like its been moved forward.

Check your motor mounts. I wonder if they're shot, and the PO put the fan through the rad, and this was his quick fix to make sure that didn't happen again.

I thought it was moved forward too but I looked at how to maybe move the rad back but cant see any mounting points for the bottom besides where it is (of course I looked very briefly) and it looked to me like the steering was in the way of moving the rad back. I think the motor mounts are good. If anything they moved it to fit the dual e fans. I knew the new e fan was mounted wrong (under the bracket and not on the outside) but was so relieved to have my jeep back I wasn't gonna complain. If it is forward and I can move it back then maybe I can add a pusher fan in front. That'd be nice.

I will look better this week and fill you guys in.

he could have left the bottom mounts and just leaned it forward.

Grrreaaaattt news (not really)

So, in order to mount the dual e fans (that are gone now) the PO moved the radiator forward (as we figured) but in order for them to fit the fans vertically, they cut the lower bracket! They cut right through the middle of the original mounting holes all the way across! Pain in my ACE! I guess I could weld on some mounting tabs?

Pics all the way across.
ydymadum.jpg

ty6u4ene.jpg

udepuny9.jpg

va4e8yne.jpg

I know I won't have slots to hold the shrouds if I just do the two tabs but I'm ok with that. You can see I had to zip tie it in order to get the bottom of the shroud to hit the rad.

Yeah total hack n slash. I see what and why they did what they did but it doesn't help me right now.

No I have to pay someone almost $100 to weld to super small tabs

well I havent moved the rad yet. maybe the few extra iches from the motor is beneficial. its only gone over 210 once. if i new how to fiber glass well enough id just make an adapter like a tunnel for the fan shroud.

Back