• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling fan fit issue

Look at the links Talyn already gave you, this pic of a 97 fan and clutch, then look at your Jeep again. You definitely do not have an XJ clutch and fan on there.

Image011.jpg

ha ha youre right! I was using my phone when comparing and for some reason I mixed up the links!!!! I feel like an Idiot! I am going in the am to the junk yard. man I fell like a goof.

Yup, not even close to the right fan.

I measured the fan blade tip to tip across the middle of the fan. 15" is what I gave you.

okie dokie will measure the same. I'm going to let this guy have it for wasting all my time on something so stupid and simple....like i said a few times, If I had done this myself I'd have had it done weeks ago and with less headache!

This type of work (sloppy and generally not knowing what the hell they are doing) is the primary reason I started working on cars.

The last time I had anyone else install a lift other than myself, the shop kept my adjustable track bar that was "included in the order" an just welded a plate on the mounting bracket and did the whole "drill the new hole to the right of the old hole" trick. This was a 7.5 lift btw... Lazy people

. . .that and the amount of schemin- and thievin-@$$ shops out there. Last week Just Tires just tried to scam a female friend of mine for some rear brakes on her '99 Corolla when she just wanted tires and an alignment. They were "shocked" when she refused their "recommendations" and resorted to scare tactics. I checked them out and there was 35-40% shoe pad life left. I won't let anyone else touch my vehicles other than alignments and tire mounting/balancing.

Hello again. So we've been having bad luck with local fans. 3 bad fans. Bent blades etc... And no other fans readily available in town. Looks like I'm ordering one soon but I wanted to try one last local option. Will a 2.8 v6 fan bolt up and work properly for the 4.0? Fan only not the clutch.

3 weeks to change a fan clutch and blades?
First, get a new mechanic, and don't pay ANYTHING for the effed up mess a guy who obviously has NO CLUE what he's doing made. HOw did he not realize it wasn't an XJ one but a ZJ one. Is this the first Jeep he's "worked" on?:dunno:

Second, post a WANTED ad in your NAXJA chapter of the US and maybe others as well for a fan blade. I'm sure someone is out there who went all electric and has one laying around. Don't forget craigslist too.

You can get the clutch new at NAPA for around 40 bucks. 45 if you want to upgrade to a ZJ clutch. Not the HD one just the regular one, ONLY from NAPA and ONLY NAPA part number 272310.

FWIW when my old mechanic said "You can't take off the rear sway bar. They were designe for it and if you take it off you'll be all over the place and roll your rig" I quit calling him. The irony is he drove an XJ for 12 years for the USFS. He had some pics of it and it DIDN't have a rear sway:yelclap:

3 weeks to change a fan clutch and blades?
First, get a new mechanic, and don't pay ANYTHING for the effed up mess a guy who obviously has NO CLUE what he's doing made. HOw did he not realize it wasn't an XJ one but a ZJ one. Is this the first Jeep he's "worked" on?:dunno:

Second, post a WANTED ad in your NAXJA chapter of the US and maybe others as well for a fan blade. I'm sure someone is out there who went all electric and has one laying around. Don't forget craigslist too.

You can get the clutch new at NAPA for around 40 bucks. 45 if you want to upgrade to a ZJ clutch. Not the HD one just the regular one, ONLY from NAPA and ONLY NAPA part number 272310.

FWIW when my old mechanic said "You can't take off the rear sway bar. They were designe for it and if you take it off you'll be all over the place and roll your rig" I quit calling him. The irony is he drove an XJ for 12 years for the USFS. He had some pics of it and it DIDN't have a rear sway:yelclap:

Actually its technically been a lot longer than 3 weeks lol I got the blades from the yard today and told him I need this done monday or I'm flat bedding it home. The stupid thing is that the only part I even need him to do is the wiring back to stock.

FINALLY IT'S DONE! So far it's running good. Lost a few mpg and it stinks like sweaty wet mechanic cooking in there two months at 115°.

Now I need to find a shroud. Anyone know of a place in San Diego that I can pick one up in person? I'll be there tomorrow to pick my wife up from the airport and would love to just grab one instead of order it.

good luck, even the junkyards around here dont have them since they're always broken. took a while to find one for myself, and it's still broken

aaarrgghhhh so everything seems to be working fine but a new unrelated (possibly related) issue has come up! My power locks aren't responding! I hit the button in either direction and I hear a click in the passenger door button panel. I haven't taken it off yet because I wanted to hear suggestions from you helpful folks... I was thinking maybe he blew a fuse, disconnected a relay, or being in direct sunlight and 115º for 2 months burned something up like a wire connection. And it's more of an electrical click, not a mechanical click. That is to say it doesn't sound like the actuators moving it sounds like a "spark" and the sound only comes from the passenger door not any other doors.

Last edited:
Hmmm. So I just went out to start looking at relays and fuses and wanted to press the button and hear the sound one more time....all the licks work as normal! Gremlins I tell ya!

Back