• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cooling fan fit issue

I just thought of this: Does the model make a huge difference in the clutch and fan size and possibly spacing? Sport, classic, loredo etc...?

Looks like I'll need a vin break down if anyone knows how to decode because my xj is without ANY badges.

Model does not make a difference, they are all the same in the engine bay with exception of ABS stuff. You need a fan out of a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. Can you post a picture of what is going on in there? It seem like you have the wrong fan, or it is installed in the wrong location.

This might be a stupid question, but is the clutch actually installed, or did the fan get bolted directly to the pulley?

Could you possibly have a fan from a Grand Cherokee?

Last edited:
Model does not make a difference, they are all the same in the engine bay with exception of ABS stuff. You need a fan out of a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. Can you post a picture of what is going on in there? It seem like you have the wrong fan, or it is installed in the wrong location.

This might be a stupid question, but is the clutch actually installed, or did the fan get bolted directly to the pulley?

Could you possibly have a fan from a Grand Cherokee?

I don't have a picture because unfortunately due to my work schedule I can't be doing the work myself so it's at the mechanic. I'm going to try and stop by today and take measurements and pics. It's installed in the proper location but I was thinking it might be a yj fan by mistake. All I know for sure is that it is off of a 97.

I have a stock '98. The fan blade is 15" in diameter (same as my '00). From the blade flute to the A/C it is 3/4". From the mounting surface of the clutch to the mounting surface of the fan, 2 3/4".

Here's a couple of pictures.
mini-40600002.JPG

mini-40600003.JPG

I have a stock '98. The fan blade is 15" in diameter (same as my '00). From the blade flute to the A/C it is 3/4". From the mounting surface of the clutch to the mounting surface of the fan, 2 3/4".

Here's a couple of pictures.
mini-40600002.JPG

mini-40600003.JPG

Thanks I'll print this and hand it to him. Hopefully I can get in there myself Thursday afternoon and get hands on but it'll be weird working on it myself in his shop.

Broken link so scratch the original post

You mentioned the fan blade ends look different but I found two images online that have similar ends to the one in my xj but one says it's grand Cherokee and the other says its a Cherokee. I'd post them, but the links aren't working right.

Last edited:
Ohhh I dunno now. They have a similar shape wjust different in size of the shape....too close for me to call without having it right here in front of me...I worked past closing of the shop today so tomorrow I'm going to stop by. I'll take pics and everything.

Btw I did call him yesterday with the measurements of the spacing and stuff and he said "well there's still the issue of the AC line".

If you're facing the fan, on the lower left almost under the battery or maybe it does run under the battery, my memory fails me, there is an AC line that hits if the fan is mounted "stock" without a spacer.

Does anyone know if that AC line shifts occasionally. Or if there's a way to move it further left out of the fan path without rigging or kinking it??

I would seriously consider finding a new mechanic

I agree. This is something you can do at home.

And you're mechanic seems to be having way to much trouble with this.

Yeah I'm going to actually get my hand on it tonight or tomorrow morning and give him till Tuesday. The only reason he has it is because he was supposed to wore the dual e fans to the stock relay then it snowballed into this mess. If I had the time to start the fans myself I feel like I'd have soles it by now. But being so busy and only going off of phone calls isn't making it any easier.

This shows the relation between the fan and the "line". This is with the spacer installed. You can see how if I remove the spacer, it will hit the fan...no pun intended
photo1.jpg

This shows the shape of the blade ends...looks like xj to me?
photo2.jpg

The spacer
photo3.jpg

Side view
photo4.jpg

So he measured the fan and came up with 16 and 3/4 which sounds like an odd size so I'm sure he measured it improperly...either way that's toooo big. I've never measured the fan blades before so what is the most accurate way to measure it for 15"? Measure 7.5" from the center to the blade tip?

Back