• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Container ship aground

I really wonder why they hit it... can't think of much aside from a nav system malfunction, someone screwing up, or maybe (very unlikely) the recent earthquake moved things enough that the charts were wrong. I really doubt the last one though.

Just wait for more of the ice caps to melt,,,,,,,it,ll float right off......

I really wonder why they hit it... can't think of much aside from a nav system malfunction, someone screwing up, or maybe (very unlikely) the recent earthquake moved things enough that the charts were wrong. I really doubt the last one though.

This was my thoughts. With all the fancy technology those ships have, and for something like this to happen, is strange.

Had to of been a bumpy ride when they hit:flamemad:

There's really no excuse for something like this. Unless you lose power and navigation in a storm with a lee shore. It's possible somebody was drunk, like on the Exxon Valdez, or somebody might have just been reading a book and not paying attention. Ships mostly run on autopilot these days.

When I was going to sea I spent a lot of time on the bridge. On our ships there were always a minimum of two members of the crew on watch, an officer and a deckie. Most of what happens on watch is literally watching out for hazards to navigation. Depending on what else is going on there's also checking the autopilot, checking the charts, filling out logs, answering the radio. The deckie would make occasional rounds of the ship. The point is that there was always one and usually two alert competent people on the bridge at all times making sure shit like this doesn't happen.

Also worth noting that ships just don't go that fast, maybe 30mph. They go 24/7 of course so that's how they cover such huge distances.
'
The point is that, unless there was an equipment failure, or it wasn't on the chart, they should have had all the time in the world to avoid it. Somebody fuxed up.

Since it was named after another ship that nearly ran aground there (back in 1827) my bet is that it was on the charts. It's also a common scuba diving reef. Was it in the right place on the charts after the earthquake? No idea, but probably. Things don't usually move THAT far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrolabe_Reef

Last edited:
There's really no excuse for something like this.
Nothing excuses the action, but a real, honest explanation would help to make sure it doesn't happen again.
Also worth noting that ships just don't go that fast, maybe 30mph. They go 24/7 of course so that's how they cover such huge distances.
They also don't stop fast. Realizing 5 minutes before the reef strike probably wouldn't have been enough time to stop or change course enough to make any difference.
The point is that, unless there was an equipment failure, or it wasn't on the chart, they should have had all the time in the world to avoid it. Somebody fuxed up.
It was on the chart. The only reasonable explanation I can think of is whatever positioning gear they were using got fritzed enough to lead them out of their proper channel. A more likely explanation is somebody took a shortcut and screwed up, or got lazy with navigation: Shortest distance between 2 points isn't always the fastest route.

I helped set up a land nav. course once to prove this point.( Ok, actually it was to hammer it home with a big stick,.. :D ) We set up 2 points on the course that, if you tried to go straight-line between them and any other point, had you climbing up, or walking off, a cliff. If you actually looked at the maps provided though, there was an easy route to both points that involved a 3-400 yard detour. This was before the days of the inexpensive hand-held GPS device, but I think that course would still burn over 90% of the people who tried it today.

Maybe they can use this ship in Waterworld 2...

Maybe they can use this ship in Waterworld 2...
Please do not give Mr. Costner any ideas. He's been pretty quiet recently, and we'd like him to stay that way.

Kind of fell off the news, what with all the important events happening: the Kardasian prenuptial divorce, etc, but they managed to get most of the fuel offloaded, and have started removing containers. It did end up requiring another ship with a crane. I don't know what it costs to crew and operate a ship that size, but the final bill is going to be,..
not cheap.
They're figuring 6 containers a day. 1300 containers. 'Wonder if the load riggers are getting hazard pay.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Salvors-pump...Rena/tabid/1160/articleID/232557/Default.aspx

http://www.3news.co.nz/First-container-unloaded-from-Rena/tabid/423/articleID/232977/Default.aspx

'Wonder what they're planning for the ship,.. Suppose they could just leave it there. Wouldn't be the first time.

Kind of fell off the news, what with all the important events happening: the Kardasian prenuptial divorce, etc, but they managed to get most of the fuel offloaded, and have started removing containers. It did end up requiring another ship with a crane. I don't know what it costs to crew and operate a ship that size, but the final bill is going to be,..
not cheap.
They're figuring 6 containers a day. 1300 containers. 'Wonder if the load riggers are getting hazard pay.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Salvors-pump...Rena/tabid/1160/articleID/232557/Default.aspx

http://www.3news.co.nz/First-container-unloaded-from-Rena/tabid/423/articleID/232977/Default.aspx

'Wonder what they're planning for the ship,.. Suppose they could just leave it there. Wouldn't be the first time.

thanks for the update,I was wondering about this today as i watched dog after dog take dumps in the sand at the beach today.

I would imagine that once they get the containers offloaded, it ought to rise off the reef. So long as it floats.

Check out the huge crack in the hul...051812379.html"]Photo slide show at Yahoo.com

News report at bbc.co.uk

3 months, and only managed to get about 400 containers offloaded. 'Wonder what the cost of the salvage operation has been so far.

Here for pics
http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Rena/gallery-salvage.asp

rena-breakup16.jpg

Intresting... I figured they would not get them off before something else happened. Thanks for the update.

Back