• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Container ship aground

I wonder if that is a guy in the water that popped smoke or just a datum bouy shaped like a torso?
I think that's part of an automatic system. Probably related to the life rafts that auto-deployed as the bridge went under.

It seems to be a marker that deploys off the observation wings of the bridge. Here's a pic where you can see it un-deployed on the wing.

I,m using a 40"HDTV as a monitor. Window size set so text is about 1/4" tall(comfortably read from about 8' away.) That pic is roughly 4 times the size of my "screen"

It seems to be a marker that deploys off the observation wings of the bridge. Here's a pic where you can see it un-deployed on the wing.

Yep. Datum bouy. I have been to plenty of capsizes and sinkings, but only one of a large ship and that was back in 1987. M/V PUERTO RICAN off of San Francisco exploded and caught fire. Eventually broke in half.

Oh man! Look at that water! 'Gotta be 40-50 feet vertical vis. from the surface, maybe 60-70 down below,.. and it's Summer down there. God I wanna' go diving!

(And,.. environmental disaster aside: What a great diver-toy! :D )

That pic is HUGE!!!! Figures Govt. site Govt. waste wasting my download bandwidth lol.

That pic is HUGE!!!! Figures Govt. site Govt. waste wasting my download bandwidth lol.

I'm pretty sure that tiny download (smaller than most youtube videos) pales in comparison to the 1000 people they had to hire to respond, 1000 containers they had to pull off the Rena, the 1300 tons of oil pumped off.
The 23 ships that responded 3 helicopters and 1 aircraft.

'Was fooling around on Townhall.com and noticed an article on the wreck. 'Got curious and went back to the salvage photo site, then dug around and found the interim accident report. They're guessing over 100 million to complete the clean up, but I don't think that includes removing the wreck.
I don't think it's going to matter. Looking at the latest photos, the stern sank completely, and it looks like wave pounding is smashing the internal bulkheads in the bow section. It also seems to be sitting lower in the water, but that could be tides. By the time they get ready to do any serious removal, the bow is going to be a smashed pile of rusty steel scattered on the reef.

It seems to have been caused by incompetence and impatience. 'Cut a corner to save some time, and either didn't realize they were a nautical mile or so off their course line, or didn't grasp the implications of that fact. The navigator actually put a mark on the chart next to the reef, then seems to have intentionally navigated inside the mark cutting the corner.

current photos:
http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Rena/gallery-salvage.asp
Interim report(download)
http://www.taic.org.nz/ReportsandSafetyRecs/MarineReports/tabid/87/language/en-US/Default.aspx
Article at Townhall.com
http://finance.townhall.com/news/business/2012/04/05/new_zealand_charges_owner_of_grounded_ship

Back