• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cone Filter Heat Shield

I cant see it doing much because it will still suck in all the hot air. Well with the stock box back in dont know if it lost alittle power does not feel the same as with the air tube could just be the sound has changed. The air box feels as hot a my cone filter did so how some say you are sucking cooler with the stock box I dont think so. I am at a point where I dont know what the hell to do. I might just try to make a heat shield again and go back to the cone filter.

it will be hard to tell...

I am sure it would do something as far as keeping some heat out but I think you would be better off getting some sort of exhaust manifold blanket, and then getting somehting that will profile the hood with a seal. take a look at the expensive aftermarket "cold" air intakes and see how they have done theirs. Using a good plastic tube that absorbs as little heat as possible to run into the TB is just as important as shielding the filter it self.

any thing you can do should help, but personally the Heat shield and the transition tube from filter to TB is the main reason I would by any kind of manufactured kit vs a DIY. you cant do the custom plastic molding like they can. and I would swap any K&N filter with the new AmsOil Dry filter (allows almost as much air pass and traps as much dust if not more as a standard paper filter)

Stock Box with the bug shield removed, and a larger opening to the driver side fender. Used a dremmel to wrap/extend the stock opening around to go past the 90* bend by about 1"

If I am going to run a more modified intake I would do the Cowl intake or a Snorkel. They have a special kind of duct tape that is has a reflective aluminum outside coating that I would wrap every thing in. I will either wrap my manifold or get a heat blanket to get over all under-hood temps down along with reflecting as much heat as I can from the Intake manifold along with my plastic runner tubes. A snorkel will pull in cool air and have some "ram" effect. But in most cases that is more costly then what has been shown on here.

I would save up and do it right the first time (and doing it right does not mean having to fork out the $$ and buy a complete kit). There are quite a few ingenuous ideas for a cowl induction intake. do a search on here or JeepForum and you should find some good info to get you moving.

See, I am less worried about heat, and more worried about water splashing cause mine is totally vulnerable now. Thats why I may put it in my box lol

Let me know it turns out.

As far as the filter getting wet mine always seemed to stay pretty dry even playing in the mud could be because it gets so hot the water evaporates rite off of it.
Also you might want to try a pre filter or some panthose on the filter it will make cleaning your filter so much easier. keeps all the bugs and engine grime from getting in the ridges

Let me know it turns out.

As far as the filter getting wet mine always seemed to stay pretty dry even playing in the mud could be because it gets so hot the water evaporates rite off of it.
Also you might want to try a pre filter or some panthose on the filter it will make cleaning your filter so much easier. keeps all the bugs and engine grime from getting in the ridges

Thats not a bad Idea!

Just redid the set up with 3 1/2 Pvc used a 7in streight pc and a 45* cut 2in off. now it should be easier to make a box for it will give it a shot tommarow and see if I can post some pics

I was thinking about some sort of round canister for the cone filter might work good.You could run your air tube in one end and get fresh air from the front.The whole thing would be sealed and you could insulate it however you want.

Ran it with the cone back on and drove about 30 miles into work there is a major differance in the way it feels more pick up and throttle response

Also felt the filter when i got to work and now that it is lower and closer to the opening behind the headlight the whole tube and filter seem alot cooler. I think once a make the heat shield it will be good. :yelclap:

I will take some pics today and try to post them i am going to try the photobucket methode and if i can not figure it :doh:eek:ut PM with you email and I can send you pics.

i took the front of my 88 apart and trimed out some "excess" material and i have "cold air" comming in directly to my AMSoil filter. i made my tube and wraped it in insulation and made a heat sheild out of some super heavy plastic i can get at work. its not perfect but it does help a good bit. i need to fine tune it still.

i took the front of my 88 apart and trimed out some "excess" material and i have "cold air" comming in directly to my AMSoil filter. i made my tube and wraped it in insulation and made a heat sheild out of some super heavy plastic i can get at work. its not perfect but it does help a good bit. i need to fine tune it still.

Pics?? :D

i had a thread on it

i orderd it off a guy here if im not mistaken
it aint pretty but it seems to get the job done

here it is whit my old k&n,
newfilter3.jpg

and with the cheap filter

intakesetup.jpg

What did you have made the shield or the tube if you made the tube what did you use as the elbow on the throttle body.

the shield is heavy plastic with high temp tape i also get from work

the filter is AMSoil with a prefilter over it

the tube is old inter cooler ducting. the elbow is part of a ricer intake kit from auto zone.

grand total was like 50 bucks (that filter isnt cheap)

While it is not a cone filter at this point, there is a heat shield which would not change if the filter did. Tube and shield are made out of the same aluminum sheet. The tube will, probably at the same time that the filter is swapped, be covered with some sort of insulation.

intake219.jpg

intake2291.jpg

Back