• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche 87 to 97

Turns out that the aw4 transmission is longer than the Peugeot BA10/5 transmission so the cross-member for the transmission support goes some inches back.

Good thing that the holes for the bolts in the new location are already there, you just have to tap the holes with a 10MM 1.5 taper.

I also use the cross-member and transmission support from the cherokee.

IMG_5103a.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

More pics for this build on Twitter @knkn9

And the transfer case in, I use the same speed sensor that I removed from the 97 2WD AW4, the only problem was that as the transfer case is now further back, the connector is not long enough, I'll have to cut the wires and add about 10" so that the connector reach the speed sensor.

Last edited:
Seems we are doing the same thing and are close to the same place (although you got there much faster)

My question to you is fuel tank. Have you put any thought to it? I have read a few things but no one really documented it very well.

Not yet, but when I get there I'll be very detailed, I'm now working on a snapped off bolt in my rear yoke, after that I will work on the fuel lines and then the fuel pump wiring, hope to get there next week, I been updating more pictures on my twitter account @knkn9

Last edited:
Even With Different transmission (Peugeot to AW4) the driveshaft fit perfectly, the only issue was a snapped off bolt.

image_4.jpeg

image_2_1.jpeg

image_1_1.jpeg

After failing trying to remove the snapped off bolt, I try changing the yoke of the Cherokee Chrysler 8.25 to the comanche dana 35 only to realize that they are different.

Last edited:
Not yet, but when I get there I'll be very detailed, I'm now working on a snapped off bolt in my rear yoke, after that I will work on the fuel lines and then the fuel pump wiring, hope to get there next week, I been updating more pictures on my twitter account @knkn9

EqOLGYF.gif

As for your yoke issue, there is this if you don't want to pull a junkyard factory replacement.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/10463.html

Last edited:
By now I will get a used yoke at my local junkyard ($10.95) and later I will swap a Ford 8.8 Diff with LSD & disk brakes

aaaaannnnndd this is where this project typically dies.

I have a TJ tank and gauge cluster in my 97 MJ

The process is documented very well on CC under "Project Onyx"

It has been running for 6 years without a problem

I have a TJ tank and gauge cluster in my 97 MJ

The process is documented very well on CC under "Project Onyx"

It has been running for 6 years without a problem

We fabricated some angle bracket hangers (tacked in for no just to get it driving) and its holding extremely well. If clearances work out we might keep it as is but I'm all for finding a better way.
I had actually already read your write up awhile back when we started this. We were just hoping someone found a drop in replacement or with minor work for the stock location.

Last edited:
Your other option that seems to be working well is a late 90s Dakota tank.

Kinda late for a solution. But that same thing happens to me. A snapped off bolt head.

I went and got a Ford u joint strap from pep boys. Drilled the snapped off bolt out and the other good one so the strap can slip through. And boom fixed.

Wish I had seen this sooner to save you time

This was my first attempt at trying to use a 49psi fuel pressure regulator inside the original Comanche fuel tank

12722026_10156548651535607_1033104290_n.jpg

In theory should work but this pump assembly does not fit on the MJ Fuel tank
@knkn9

Back